THE JAMAICAN/CARRIBEAN FUNK 45/LP THREAD

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Happy Monday batches .....Here is a thread dedicated to the ever elusive foot to ass sound of Jamaicans/Islanders interpeting African American Funk and Soul Music in the 1960s/1970sLets start this one off with a little known uptempo jointhttp://www.zshare.net/audio/3951476fba4409/[sorry i had to use z share but divshare was being an unresponsive dick]psK in Canada......we know you are out there lurking and had the market cornered....oh fucking well that ends not well

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    This one sounds a little like something the invaders might have thrown down

And some slower sweet soul from montego beat/Stamma Band

these are in consecutive order on the mp3
    Bermuda Strollers-Rhapsody in Blue
    Stamma band-Cry to me
    carribeansoul.mp3 - 8.41MB

• I agree...K in Canada is missed for shit like this...

I was thinking about the Les Boogaloos LP that I almost bought from him. Probably best THAT didn't happen, as things turned out, but it would be nice to at least have a source on that information, let alone those records.

At least he found VINDICATION.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Here is a thread dedicated to the ever elusive foot to ass sound of Jamaicans/Islanders interpeting African American Funk and Soul Music in the 1960s/1970s

So I'll have to start a separate thread about Jamaicans/Islanders interpreting Norwegian Prog interpreting Latin Rock?

• DUDE PLAY SOME NO DOUBT LIKE WHEN THEY DID THAT SONG WITH THAT RAP FARREL DUDE HE IS AFRICAN AMERICAN OR HOW BOUT SOME SUBLIME THEY GOT BLACK DUDES IN THE VIDEO AND SHIT!

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    one of my all time favorite funk songs from any region - jeffrey turpin & friends: party time

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    can someone please to poast Boris Gardner's Ghetto funk

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    one of my all time favorite funk songs from any region - jeffrey turpin & friends: party time

nice.

Here's one from my last Caribbean mix. I might start on Vol 2 tonight.

• I'll be back later with some goodness,
    On a related tip I drew a late pass & listened to the Belieze Boil Up comp for the first time last night (whilst sipping some good red) - proppers to TNG on that one, heat!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'll be back later with some goodness,
    On a related tip I drew a late pass & listened to the Belieze Boil Up comp for the first time last night (whilst sipping some good red) - proppers to TNG on that one, heat!

Yeah, that one is my favorite thing they have put out. A lot of the best cuts are off pretty obtainable records too, because they tend to be the one real good cut on an LP filled with different material.

Are we really calling the Bermuda Strollers "funk" though? The record of theirs I have definately isn't funk by any stretch of the imagination.

• Here's a couple of better known ones....

Jackie Mittoo - Get Up & Get It

The Skatalites - Candle Light

• Boris Gardiner - "Ain't no sunshine" (my favorite cover of this track)

Syd Jones - "cardoua" [sic] (HEAVIEST VERSION.... EVAR)

• Rolling coins - "are you ready"

Hopeton lewish - "funky kingston" (staple)

Biosis - "independent bahamas"

Cedric brooks - untitled (not really funky, but the off-key piano on this song SLAYS me. bonus track off later pressings of "flash forward," also available on a studio one blank 45)

St. peter & paul CHS shooting stars steel band - "what's going on" (posted here for sheer hilarity.... man.... off-key, and so bad it's good. REAL PEOPLE steel band funk, anyone? Also features "NT" and "kool is back." Found this in a spot in FL that mr. aleit is probably hitting as I type this...)

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    I posted a few 320's on the blog a while back, inluding the funkiest Wackies song I ever heard.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Great great version of Rock Your Baby on this LP too.

The Chosen Few and Soul Syndicate both do a nice cover of Shaft - I like the Chosen Few version a little more. Their cover of In The Rain is also beautiful.

Richard Ace's cover of Supernatural will melt panties.

Other favourites:
    Marcia Griffiths - Here I Am Baby
    Hortense Ellis - People Make the World Go Round
    Jerry Jones - Common People and Compared to What (her version of Compared to What is incredible)
    Lloyd Williams - Is It Because I'm Black
    Jackie Mittoo - Jumping Jehosophat (Message from a Black Man)

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    OK since this deteriorated from a funk to a covers thread :rolleyes:

Motown likes a "nice Shaft", I prefer Hot Pants

Check one of the baddest covers of William Devaughan if you haven't already

The dub of Chosen Few's People Make the World Go Round

Granville Williams Orchestra's version of the Philly Dog

and some crazy cover of Crown Heights Affair that could be great if the mic was anywhere near the drums.

• Well it took a few days, and the thread slipped to like page five, but heres a few select cuts.

zap pow - wild honey.mp3 - 7.01MB
    One of their funkiest cuts. Never see anything about these dudes really, but I think they did some nice stuff, and Beres Hammond is dope too.

freddie mcgregor - natural collie.mp3 - 17.77MB
    Nice long 8 minute version from the disco 12 - scooped this at a school fair many years ago here in Melbourne. Classic tune.

g.g. allstars - man from carolina.mp3 - 6.39MB
    Upbeat instrumental organ cut from the Pama label. This one was picked up in Notting Hill.

bamboos of jamaica - move girl.mp3 - 6.75MB
    Curious one, from a German comp, funky reggae once again, with a break too.

the tradewinds - funky calypso.mp3 - 10.41MB
    Great tune, love it so, got this from KL a few years back - first heard it on one of the Turning Point CDs, real heads know the deal.

mista savona - rootbound system - chant at dusk.mp3 - 7.34MB
    Bonus beat - some niceness from Melbourne producer Jake Savona's debut LP from late last year.

Can't find an image for it: The Arawaks - 'Come on Back'

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Are you talking about Only Man On The Island?

After I read this thread a few days ago,
    I pulled out my copy of that record and
    played Just My Imagination. I dig it.

Arawaks-Come On Back

Are you talking about Only Man On The Island?

After I read this thread a few days ago,
    I pulled out my copy of that record and
    played Just My Imagination. I dig it.

Arawaks-Come On Back

Yes! That's it! Thanks for the link.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Cedric brooks - untitled (not really funky, but the off-key piano on this song SLAYS me. bonus track off later pressings of "flash forward," also available on a studio one blank 45)

More please!!! That's amazing. Thanks

h

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i dig that arawaks lp!

• Cedric brooks - untitled (not really funky, but the off-key piano on this song SLAYS me. bonus track off later pressings of "flash forward," also available on a studio one blank 45)

More please!!! That's amazing. Thanks

There are some obscure 45s, "light of saba", a few harold butler tracks, count ossie & the mystic revalation... but overall, there's not too much out there I know of.

• aye - it's been mentioned on here before but Honest Jon's Light of Saba re is a great place to start for some Cedric 'Im' Brooks

I found some of the count ossie stuff a lil snoozy myself

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I posted a few 320's on the blog a while back, inluding the funkiest Wackies song I ever heard.

I was trying to figure out the name of that Roots underground track. Thank you.

- spidey

Good morning everybody, was just combing through this thread again, and noticed this request.

Boris gardner - ghetto funk

and I'll raise you this essential track from the same comp.

Carl Bradney - slipping into darkness

This Carl bradney joint produced by Lee perry was recently reissued. I actually think this version kills the Wars original.

- spidey

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

Good morning everybody, was just combing through this thread again, and noticed this request.

Boris gardner - ghetto funk

and I'll raise you this essential track from the same comp.

Carl Bradney - slipping into darkness

This Carl bradney joint produced by Lee perry was recently reissued. I actually think this version kills the Wars original.

- spidey

wicked and hot like fire
    but how do i download these???

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Click on 'divshare'

Click on the word divshare[/b], and on the following page click download original[/b].

- spidey

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    awesome
    thanks people
    and good looks keeping this thread alive!!
    I am burning a cd of all this collie[ness]