Berlin, Any Good Gigs October 26th weekend?

RonanRonan 86 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I'll be in Berlin from the 25th to the 30th, Any Gigs I should check?

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Check if marc hype & jim dunloop got something going, but they might be in australia at that time, dunno. also "the smells", dope dj's, and check for clubs like icon, cafe moskow, lovelite, cassiopeia. or if you want to dive into human debauchery, go to the "berghain", but only from 4 in the morning on...piedpiper might know something more...

• Sharon Jones is in Berlin on 27th October
    at Bohannon Soul Club

• what do you like? as almost every weekend, there are many things to choose from.

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    A good live jazz night would be cool. Some craziness & debauchery would be good too, whats Berghain like? I'm not a huge fan of straight up techno, prefer the more aphex / squarepusher type buzz

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    if you're up for some hard Funk 45 action, check out my former night on Saturday the 27th
    http://soulexplosion.de

Best Italian Restaurant in town and one of my top ten spots worldwide
    http://hostaria.de/
    You won't be able to find it without writing down the exact address and then walking through to the second backyard, you'll find the place tucked away in the right corner, it's a small brick building. They don't advertise, there's not even a sign or anything. Call them on the phone at least one day (better two or three) ahead for a reservation. Be there at 7:30 sharp because that's when they start serving the food. There's no menu to choose from. Expect to be stuffed with the best homemade cooking imaginable to man until shortly before midnight.

The whole thing including all the wine you can drink (you get your own refills from a wooden barrel in the center of the room...) plus coffee and dessert is around 50 Euros. This has been my regular spot whenever I was in town for some good 13 years now.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    berghain is techno and , picky door as well - forget about it.

for live jazz you can check Quasimodo and probably Trompete.
    If you like it, you can also check one of the Drum and Bass events on Friday (M12 or Icon). I don`t know about a good "IDM" ( ) night.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    berghain is techno and , picky door as well - forget about it.

for live jazz you can check Quasimodo and probably Trompete.
    If you like it, you can also check one of the Drum and Bass events on Friday (M12 or Icon). I don`t know about a good "IDM" ( ) night.

I've always been an uncompromising hater of all things techno but have spent (although only very few) ridiculously fun times at Berghain.
    As said before it doesn't start to get interesting before dawn and in case you're not ly inclined, you're well advised to stay away from the darkroom area called "laboratory"... hell, this sounds much worse than it is and there's girls there too... well, it's just insanely seedy and decadent and something you won't get to see anywhere in the US these days.

As far as live Jazz goes though... I don't know where you're coming from but unless it's central or eastern europe you're most likely to have seen much better things before. If I think about it... even if you were from central Iraq, I wouldn't want to send you to one of those pretentious "Jazz" Bars Berlin has to offer.

Do yourself one big favor though and stay clear of a place called "white trash fast food" even to call it a wannabe-hipster-tourist-trap would be giving it way too much credit. Jumping in front of a subway train would be a much better choice and even in the eastern district hospitals the nurses are much more sexy than your average WTFF customer.