Smoking...

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone ever quit smoking for nearly 10 years(cold turkey..not cheating once), just to pick it back up again? weaksauce.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    GULP.
    I quit about ten years ago (though I've cheated several times)and I think I'm in that mode right now. It started with having a couple puffs when drinkin to now i'm sneaking the occasional cancer stick or two at work. I really need to pump the brakes on this shit before it gets out of hand.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Anyone ever quit smoking for nearly 10 years(cold turkey..not cheating once), just to pick it back up again?

weaksauce.

You should find a wife that absolutely hates smoking.

or maybe you need some sort of reinforcement system that allows you to a rare record or bottle of Cristal (courtesy of your wife) for every X amount of days/months you don't smoke.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Anyone ever quit smoking for nearly 10 years(cold turkey..not cheating once), just to pick it back up again?

weaksauce.

You should find a wife that absolutely hates smoking.

Still, I imagine people have married for less...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I gave up for 4 years and picked it up about a year ago.... i did it cold turkey too.... kills me...

• quit for over a year(cold turkey) and picked it back up like it was nothing, i think once youre a smoker youre pretty much a smoker for life(even if you dont smoke), kinda like being alcoholic.

that was a few years ago, still smoking but much less these days. down to just a couple a day.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Smoking sucks.

I stopped smoking because it sucked so much.

• Quit for over ten years. Slipped a few times and got into cigars for a quick minute. Now I can actually smoke one cigarette and not start again. Did it a couple of years ago. It was an appropriate situation to go out back and have a smoke.

I'm glad there are smoking bans and I wish smokers would stop littering their butts everywhere. I hardly ever did that shit and if I did, I felt bad.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'm going strong right now, having stopped smoking, cold turkey, nearly 2 months ago. Fuck cigarettes!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I'm glad there are smoking bans and I wish smokers would stop littering their butts everywhere.

Why is it that smokers, for the most part, seem to have no regard for the effect their habbit has, whether it be constantly dropping their butts on the ground, or the disgusting smoke that wafts into other people's noses?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I quit over 12 years ago cold turkey, not one since. Shit's gross

• Funny thing is..my girlfriend is an ex-smoker as well(quit about 5 years ago or so), and she does absolutely HATE me doing it. It first started out as cigars..then started creeping over to the cancer sticks. UGHH! FUCK! I still feel SOOO guilty and ashamed of it. I wont even let certain people see me do it because I am so guilty of it.
    Even over the 10 years I didnt smoke..I still constantly had dreams where I was puffin' away like it was normal. I always found that really interesting. I think if I quit smoking all together(weed and tobacco)this time, it might help. Last time I quit, it was on some turn your life around 180degrees kinda shit(I was only 18 or 19 years old then)...and while that didnt completely work out, the quitting cigs/cigars were the one thing I stuck to my guns with. Damn, I am disappointed with myself.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    quit for over a year(cold turkey) and picked it back up like it was nothing, i think once youre a smoker youre pretty much a smoker for life(even if you dont smoke), kinda like being alcoholic.

I can believe this. I smoked cigs from 12-19. I managed to give them up during a long weekend in Hamsterjam, when 4 of us smoked an oz a day between us every day. So I figured I was just a doobie brother, not a nicotine addict. But I then smoked just spliffs for the next 14 years and I'm pretty sure I was still well addicted to the tobacco. So I went cold turkey end of May and am still pining for a spliff at least a few times a week. Tequila and beer are a decent substitute but damn, I just hit 200lbs and I don't want to believe I will never roll an inside out fat one ever again! If I hit 40 with no health problems I think I'm gonna go all out.

I wish smokers would stop littering their butts everywhere. I hardly ever did that shit and if I did, I felt bad.

This in one thing that made it easier to quit the cigs. Thinking about all the butts that end up in the gutter --> drain --> killing porpoises is foul ... no matter how fuckin artfully you flick that into the street like you are some cool twat. Yeah I see you, and I bet you pat your pack down as well. Wankers!

PS: and yeah, owning a bar means either me or some Latino is picking that out the street for you.

So: Littering,

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    i think once youre a smoker youre pretty much a smoker for life(even if you dont smoke), kinda like being alcoholic.

chiming in here because I haven't accomplished much. But I often call quitting smoking the biggest accomplishment of my life. Even though I barely smoked a pack a day (I'd downplay it & tell people a pack every 2 days which was sometimes true and oftentimes not), that shit was still was a bitch.

But here's how you quit... buy a pack of cigarettes you don't even like. I had these busted Benson & Hedges which I think were marketed at 90 yr olds (they were left in my car and I thought I'd give em a try). Next, get some nasty bronchial infection and smoke the Benson & Hedges. Then sit at Denny's all depressed and ill with bronchitis or whooping cough smoking and wonder... Am I really this stupid? Why am I smoking RIGHT NOW. After this epiphany, promise yourself to not smoke for a few days. Then not for a few more. It gets a little easier every day. Then relapse 2 years later but only have it last for a couple months until the epiphany resurfaces. Then quit for good. It worked for me.

I haven't smoke a cigarette in nearly 10 years. I smoke pot oh....quarterlty...with the new roomate more than that...but still couldn't (and wouldn't want to) hang with you heavyweights who are the 'strut. Oh, but
    I'm sitll an alcoholic and still I pity you smokers.

I know a few people who used a cold/flu to kick start their giving up.

But my advice?

Fall head over heels in love to the point that smoking suddenly becomes so redundent in your life that you just suddenly don't feel like smoking anymore. No will power, no cravings, no thinking about doing it and procrastinating, it just happens.

That's how i gave up.

True story.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I know a few people who used a cold/flu to kick start their giving up.

But my advice?

Fall head over heels in love to the point that smoking suddenly becomes so redundent in your life that you just suddenly don't feel like smoking anymore. No will power, no cravings, no thinking about doing it and procrastinating, it just happens.

That's how i gave up.

True story.

How do you fart in bed then?

• I may have posted this before but my method to quit smoking was chain smoking 3 packs of Newports during a speed smoking binge. I never wanted to touch another one again.

I don't recommend this method.

I did use the flu method to kick chiva though. I just pretended the withdraws were symptoms from a real bad flu so I wouldn't think of the drug.

That's another thread titled: how did you kick hard drugs

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    That's another thread titled: how did you kick hard drugs

Grip n Flip.

• Best way to quit smoking in Canada is to go to jail. Smoking and lighters are banned from prisons. All I did was read and sleep. I did smoke when I got back out but it tasted foul