Alice Clark Mainstream album

paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Besides it's a hell of an album, what's her story?, googling i couldn't find almost any info more than the Ernie Wilkins connection.I'm listening right now Never Did I Stop Loving You and it's soooooo ...

Comments

• I think jinx posted some info about her a while ago (further back than the search function can deal with).

Nice album. I Keep It Hid is

• and it's on a 45 if you don't wanna shell out the cake for the OG LP.

• Totally different style, but here is an earlier 45 of hers I quite like:

• and it's on a 45 if you don't wanna shell out the cake for the OG LP.

although the album is so good that i'll even recommend the scorpio re-pressing

• Amazing album that always manages to get play back at the homebase. 'Hey Boy' is a dancefloor killer (imho). The entire album is great, start to finish. When did the Scorpio repressing come out? I don't think I have ever heard about that.

• Amazing album that always manages to get play back at the homebase. 'Hey Boy' is a dancefloor killer (imho). The entire album is great, start to finish. When did the Scorpio repressing come out? I don't think I have ever heard about that.

Scorpio arent really "reissues" with release dates and shit, they are pirate copies of records...when they get a copy of clean audio and a clean jacket to make dupes of, they "reissue" it.

Scorpio arent really "reissues" with release dates and shit, they are pirate copies of records...when they get a copy of clean audio and a clean jacket to make dupes of, they "reissue" it.

Okay, now that I did a likkle search I came across info regarding Scorpio's 'reish's'. Thanks for the heads up!

And for anyone that doesn't have the Alice Clark, the lp is much more than just some open drums... If you can cop the lp, cop the lp.

I know, I'm totally in agreeance. That's why I did not use the word "reissue", I said "re-pressing"![/b]

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I honestly dunno about the Alice Clark, but not all Scorpio records are pirated. I don't even think they press up a lot of them themselves... the labels do. IE: Hello Columbia can you press up 10,000 shitty copies of Highway 61 for us? I mean, how can you bootleg the entire James Brown catalog and getting away with it? A lot of it is probably on a title to title basis though.

• And for anyone that doesn't have the Alice Clark, the lp is much more than just some open drums... If you can cop the lp, cop the lp.

This shit has open drums? I never even noticed that.

I agree that it's good from start to end but the two standouts to me are "Never Did I Stop Loving You" and "Don't You Care".

A nice amount of copies ended up here in Denmark and Sweden too, I think. Not that it's that easy to find but it turns up on the regular. Far more often than other records that sell for this amount.

I also heard stories about a guy in Sweden turning up a box of sealed copies but I can't confirm that it's absolutely true.

• I honestly dunno about the Alice Clark, but not all Scorpio records are pirated. I don't even think they press up a lot of them themselves... the labels do. IE: Hello Columbia can you press up 10,000 shitty copies of Highway 61 for us?

in the case of columbia, i figured they did those vinyl repressings themselves.

i notice that scorpio usually does close-to-exact repros, right down to the label design, of what the record would have looked like when it came out. but the columbia reissues usually have a more up-to-date label (i.e., a repressing by kaleidoscope will have the more recent dark blue label design, even though it had a yellow label when it came out back in the sixties)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I honestly dunno about the Alice Clark, but not all Scorpio records are pirated. I don't even think they press up a lot of them themselves... the labels do. IE: Hello Columbia can you press up 10,000 shitty copies of Highway 61 for us?

in the case of columbia, i figured they did those vinyl repressings themselves.

i notice that scorpio usually does close-to-exact repros, right down to the label design, of what the record would have looked like when it came out. but the columbia reissues usually have a more up-to-date label (i.e., a repressing by kaleidoscope will have the more recent dark blue label design, even though it had a yellow label when it came out back in the sixties)

Yeah, exactly. The smaller label stuff is probably where it gets a bit sketchy. I remember reading that the Mulatu of Ethiopia record for example is not exactly legit... they (scorpio) seem like a fairly large grey area.