Classical Strut

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Major beginner here. I have found though that I like Debussy, Vivaldo, and Mendelsshon. I don't think I'm much into Brahms. Sticking to the dollar bins, where do I go from here?

Comments

• Faves: Gershwin , Prokofiev, Copland, Milhaud, Debussy, Holst, Sibelius, Smetana, Dvorak...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Faves: Gershwin , Prokofiev, Copland, Milhaud, Debussy, Holst, Sibelius, Smetana, Dvorak...

Thanks...Holst and Dvorak I already know I like as well. I'll keep an eye out for those other names.

• Faves: Gershwin , Prokofiev, Copland, Milhaud, Debussy, Holst, Sibelius, Smetana, Dvorak...

Thanks...Holst and Dvorak I already know I like as well. I'll keep an eye out for those other names.

You should be able to find budget collections for all of them.

• stockhausen, cage, nyman, riley, la monte young, satie

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• first of all Mozart and Bach

• first of all Mozart and Bach
    no, no, no. mozart can be skipped. head straight for the beethoven.

mozart made music for pansies.

I take it back, head straight for the mozart!

(i keed, i keed).

My personal lord and savior is rachmoninoff. if you want to hear music that will change your life then check out his Piano Concertos, especialy #2 and #3.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Major beginner here. I have found though that I like Debussy, Vivaldo, and Mendelsshon. I don't think I'm much into Brahms. Sticking to the dollar bins, where do I go from here?

I think you and Richard Wagner would be a perfect fit. Check some of it out!

Here's a new location for you: Fuck You.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Here's a new location for you: Fuck You.

yowsah! seriousstrut!

• Bach

aged Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg variations. his first version from the 50s is pure class as well and shouldn't be to hard to find for cheap. so amazing

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    How about : classical LPs worth dough strut? I need to know what I can catch hundreds of $$$$ for

oh i like eric satie , stockhausen is interesting but more avante garde...and rachmaninoff is fairly untouchable

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Vivaldo

did he play for Brasil in last years world cup?

Vivaldo

You're thinking of Vivaldinho.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Vivaldo

You're thinking of Vivaldinho.

• Dimitri Shostakovich.

• How about : classical LPs worth dough strut? I need to know what I can catch hundreds of $$$$ for

this is a deep and ever-changing game. it is all about trends, who's playing what piece on which pressing, and imports. you will not succeed without knowledge of the music. start with mercury living presence stereo.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    How about : classical LPs worth dough strut? I need to know what I can catch hundreds of $$$$ for

this is a deep and ever-changing game. it is all about trends, who's playing what piece on which pressing, and imports. you will not succeed without knowledge of the music. start with mercury living presence stereo.

i was told that any small press/europe mono pressings of string players covering bach is always a good bet
    also rare ass bach boxed sets in mono from europe seem to be the schitt as well
    but this is THE most elusive record collectro category ever
    stuff like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MEGA-RARE-STEREO-2-L...1QQcmdZViewItem

AP knows this shit and needs to chime in here
    if you spend tme on ebay you can kind of get a feel for it
    i know I have passed up classical rarer and I am slowly trying to school myself

as for listening

paganini
    varese
    bartok
    bach
    pachobel
    listz
    schubert

• Beethoven was a black man.

"der schwarzer bitches!!!"

• Heres a list of some of my favorite Schitt :

Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings, First Essay for Orchestra, Second Essay, Overture to "The School for Scandal"

Cherubini's Requiem in C Cminor and March Funebre (Cherubini is SUPER under-rated. Huge in his day - He was Beethovens favorite living composer)

Hindemith - Mathis Der Maler - Shits BANANAS. Also peep Glenn Gould playing his Piano Sonatas 1-3.

Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms. Sacre Du Printemps - not something i put on to relax too. Some amazing shit hidden in ther tho.

Allegri's Miserere is the most peaceful, gorgeous business going around.

Mahler- Symph No 5 in C Sharp Minor

Shostakovic - Symph 5

Mussorgrsky - Pictures at an Exhibition

Saint-Saens - Symph No 3 in C Minor, "Organ".

Rossini - Stabat Mater - Peempy.

Mascagni - Cavalleria Rusticana: Intermezzo. The Opera on the whole isnt neccesarily up my alley, but this intermezzo is fuckin tits. You know it from Raging Bull.

Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet. Dance of The Knights is one of the Crunkest classical songs ever. Great music to stomp on your foes to.

Verdi's Requiem - The Dies Irae on this is on some flying-through-the-trench-of-the-deathstar shit. Essential car-chase jam.

Ravel -Pavane Pour Une Infante D??funte. This is what will play when i tell my granchildren about my time in the war - that the men in those trenches were not just men, not just fellow soldiers, but brothers. Every last man who jumped out of those planes - not knowing if they were jumping to their death or towards a brighter, happier world - every last one of those brave souls were family - Then i mist up and my little grandaughter lays her hand on my knee - "thank you for your sacrifice, grandfather". So anyway this is the cut quietly banging in the backround. End scene.

Durufle's Requiem. Ive listen to alot of requiem jammies and this one is like no other. Cool shit.

Mozart - Officially the Dude Of All Dudes. You cant really go wrong, but here are some choice bangers -
    Serenade No. 10 in B Major, K. 361, "Gran Partita": Adagio - Prettiest shit ever?
    Act II, Der Holle Rache Kockt in Meinen Herzen - Bananas? Vale.
    Symphony No. 25 in G Minor, K. 183: I. Allegro con brio
    Clarinet Quintet in A Major, K. 581: I. Allegro
    Adagio & Fugue in C Minor, K. 546: I. Adagio

And of course Mozarts Requiem - likely the greatest music ever written.

• Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings

Ick.

And of course Mozarts Requiem - likely the greatest music ever written.

My mom told me that she started to cry while playing this.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I need to know what I can catch hundreds of $$$$ for

And certain Lewis Layton shaded dogs. And some bluebacks.

Ick.

Ick? Its been mad over exposed, but its a gorgeous piece of music.

Ick.

Ick? Its been mad over exposed, but its a gorgeous piece of music.

That's why I can't stand it. Why must every war movie use this piece?

I remember playing this one in dorkestra and not wanting to. Consequently, I hear it and automatically think "Over the top."

I know that it's a good piece, in spite of all this.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Im glad somebody digs Janos Starker, his solo stuff is typically $. Him and Gregor Piatigorsky are my favorite cellists, Piatigorsky had a book recently written of his life called 'Grisha' which is a shocking portrayal of Ukrainian life a few generations back, and an interesting tale for the life of any musician, kind of makes coming up in the chitlin circuit look like a walk in the park in comparison!Harder to trailblaze while you're half starved while being hunted. Rostrapovich, another cellist, past away over the summer, perhaps his stuff will see some attention.

I look out for soloists, violin soloists are the most common, certain names are huge though, but viola and cello or other more unique exclusives are another thing to gamble on.

Most of the guys like Kodaly, Bartok and the Hungarians go for $, Budapest Quartet, etc. because they were significant figures from a prominent scene whose big names were around for the first part of the 20th century and lived around the time of the recording industry, so that's one curiosity of classical records- some of the biggest classical names were making records along side a lot of our domestic favorites when they came stateside, the Hungarian Revolution was 1956 and some of those guys lived around it for a brief window of time. I have an album my mother sang in the Dunellen, NJ High School choir for Kodaly himself at Town Hall in Manhattan when she was in High School with other choirs from neighboring areas and real authentic balalaika players he brought when he made the States his home.

Other than that dynamic, it's specific performances and orchestras that go for $. The money money shit is EMI- ASD, Decca- SXL, and Columbia- SAX. Those are all the megaraeares, and can be a good rule of thumb to follow, just to give the main frame of a compass to work with. You're most likely not going to find that shit- I've heard some of the most coveted LPs from those series are all accounted for by classical music and audiophile nuts, but I am never one to believe such urban legends and would never underestimate the digging prowess of this board. There must be somebody scouring on an international level 24/7 out in the wild world of Soulstrut.

• Im glad somebody digs Janos Starker, his solo stuff is typically $. Him and Gregor Piatigorsky are my favorite cellists, Piatigorsky had a book recently written of his life called 'Grisha' which is a shocking portrayal of Ukrainian life a few generations back, and an interesting tale for the life of any musician, kind of makes coming up in the chitlin circuit look like a walk in the park in comparison!Harder to trailblaze while you're half starved while being hunted. Rostrapovich, another cellist, past away over the summer, perhaps his stuff will see some attention.

I look out for soloists, violin soloists are the most common, certain names are huge though, but viola and cello or other more unique exclusives are another thing to gamble on.

Most of the guys like Kodaly, Bartok and the Hungarians go for $, Budapest Quartet, etc. because they were significant figures from a prominent scene whose big names were around for the first part of the 20th century and lived around the time of the recording industry, so that's one curiosity of classical records- some of the biggest classical names were making records along side a lot of our domestic favorites when they came stateside, the Hungarian Revolution was 1956 and some of those guys lived around it for a brief window of time. I have an album my mother sang in the Dunellen, NJ High School choir for Kodaly himself at Town Hall in Manhattan when she was in High School with other choirs from neighboring areas and real authentic balalaika players he brought when he made the States his home.

Other than that dynamic, it's specific performances and orchestras that go for $. The money money shit is EMI- ASD, Decca- SXL, and Columbia- SAX. Those are all the megaraeares, and can be a good rule of thumb to follow, just to give the main frame of a compass to work with. You're most likely not going to find that shit- I've heard some of the most coveted LPs from those series are all accounted for by classical music and audiophile nuts, but I am never one to believe such urban legends and would never underestimate the digging prowess of this board. There must be somebody scouring on an international level 24/7 out in the wild world of Soulstrut.

Nice.

Its not as much about the composer as it is about the performer for me. Any orchestras, performers, or labels to AVOID in this genre?

I do remember AP mentioning the old euro mono pressings being the ones to go after.