Tales Of Kidd Funkadelic

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Every once in a while I throw this on just for the title cut. And then remember there's a couple of other joints that I like. Overall its alright.What's y'all take.

Comments

• i think this lp may have been contract filler put together by the record company of discarded tracks, but i could be wrong on that. in any event:

butt to buttruscitation =
    let's take it to the people =
    how do you view you =

maybe the most consistent and hard hitting album they did, imho, even if it was put together by the label

• does that one have "i'm never gonna tell it" on it?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    does that one have "i'm never gonna tell it" on it?

yes and If You Aint Gonna Get It On,Take Your Dead Ass Home

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    One of my least favorite Funkadelic albums. The band was going through some major changes at the time, Hazel had left for example, so maybe that's why. Let's Take It To The People is my favorite cut. The rest are just so-so.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1322

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    One of my least favorite Funkadelic albums.

I don't think it's an "album" at all--isn't it just scraps that Westbound tossed out in an effort to capitalize on the band's success at Warner?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I think it was leftover tracks but the band had just switched over to Warner and hadn't released an album yet for them.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I think it was leftover tracks but the band had just switched over to Warner and hadn't released an album yet for them.

If I remember correctly, there a mention of this in the liner notes of the "Music for your Mother" comp (don't have my copy handy). The tracks for TOKF and the "Hardcore Jollies" album were recorded at the same time. Then they picked and chose which tracks would go on each, and I think these albums were released only a few months apart.

• I wouldn't choose this album over Free Your Mind or Maggot Brain, but this is still a good listen for what it is. I celebrate their entire Westbound catalog, so as long as this band is on that label, can't lose.

• how do you view you =

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    One of my least favorite Funkadelic albums.

I don't think it's an "album" at all--isn't it just scraps that Westbound tossed out in an effort to capitalize on the band's success at Warner?

This album qualifies easily as my leasy listened to Funkadelic album.

It doesn't compare to Maggot Brain, Funkadelic, Let's take it to the stage, Cosmic Slop (which is one of my favourites) or America eats it's Young.

• One of my least favorite Funkadelic albums.

This album qualifies easily as my leasy listened to Funkadelic album.

It doesn't compare to Maggot Brain, Funkadelic, Let's take it to the stage, Cosmic Slop (which is one of my favourites) or America eats it's Young.

still, it's not a bad record!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    still, it's not a bad record!

That's what im sayin. Its the one I dont usually play but when i do i get reminded of some treats.

Id like to know how it was received by their audience at the time, as well as the critics back then.

I never heard cats reference the album.

• Here's what Robert Christgau has to say about it in his book, Christgau's Consumer Guide: The '70s:

Tales of Kidd Funkadelic [Westbound, 1976]
    As with James Brown, whose circa-1971 J.B.'s provided this band with its horns and rhythm section, there always seem to be waste cuts on George Clinton's albums. The difference is that Brown's are intended as filler even when they come out inspired, whereas Clinton's feel like scientific experiments even when they're entirely off-the-cuff. The title cut here, a thirteen-minute congas-and-keyboard reconnaissance decorated with a few chants, turns out to be fairly listenable. Which I noticed because it's preceded by a catchy march called "I'm Never Gonna Tell It," their greatest post-doowop experiment yet. Also out there: "Take Your Dead Ass Home!" Not to mention the horns and rhythm section. B+

Truthfully, I don't think it sounds radically different or worse than what came before - this would have been a logical progression from their last LP (Let's Take It To The Stage), even though it is rather slick.