weekend finds thread....

2»

Comments

• mmmmmmm....sputnik

• Tony you lucky bastard.

I e-copped this:

Stoked.

• goddamn record store owners who know your taste.....
    put on this while I was lookin around...

...cause he knew I would buy it...first new release I have bought in a while

also found local hero Monsieur Jeffery Evan's LP with his band the Gibson Bros(no, not the disco band) LP "Punk Rock Truck Drivin Song of a Gun" LP...lost this LP in a house fire 10 years ago and I have been looking for a copy ever since...tough to turn up considering it is on homestead...the cover of Porter Wagoner's "Rubber Room" is best to Jeff and condolences to his father passing away last week...

Let it be known Jon Spencer STOLE this man's whole act and musical vibe when Jon was in the Gibson Bros...Fuck Mr. Spencer, he comes back to Memphis and makes LPs with douchetards like the North Mississippi All Stars...Mr. Spencer=Carpetbagguer to the extreme

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Let it be known Jon Spencer STOLE this man's whole act and musical vibe when Jon was in the Gibson Bros...Fuck Mr. Spencer, he comes back to Memphis and makes LPs with douchetards like the North Mississippi All Stars...Mr. Spencer=Carpetbagguer to the extreme

At least Jon Spencer would never wear that hat!

• Let it be known Jon Spencer STOLE this man's whole act and musical vibe when Jon was in the Gibson Bros...Fuck Mr. Spencer, he comes back to Memphis and makes LPs with douchetards like the North Mississippi All Stars...Mr. Spencer=Carpetbagguer to the extreme

At least Jon Spencer would never wear that hat!

Jeff is dude.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thrifts, fleas and yard sales --

yes, mr. magic 'potential 1980' on 45---

45s--

he quinn tornados - only he specializes/heaven in my view (gospel), the starlets - you are the one/better tell him no (girl group), tsu tornados - getting the corner/what good am i?, the tigers - jingle jump, smokey johnson - it ain't my fault part 1/2, ruby andrews - i just don't believe it/casanova, general crook - what time it is part 1/2. the doylettes - one of these days/jesus (gospel soul), ronnie pearson - deep blue sea/legend of the street figher, the sensations - i won't be hurt/get on up mama, opus VII - people, juggay murray, built for speed part 1/2, king solomon - just a little faith/sittin here thinkin

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    been awhile since i done this so...............LOOK AT ME I GOT COLLECTABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ALL BOUGHT WELL BELOW MARKET VALUE BECAUSE I HUSTLED ON THE AM!!!!!!!! I WON"T LIST WHAT I PAID BECAUSE THATS TACKY [NO FUNK]
    WHILE THE GHOST OF DON ADAMS HAUNTS ME FROM A FORLON FORGOTTEN BOARD GAME HE ENDORDSED IN A PILE OF CRAP AT A FLEA MARKET

COMMON LIKE A VEGGIE BURGER AND YAM FRIES AND A HAIRY HIPPY CHICK WITH TATOOS ,TOO MUCH PATCHOULLI WALKING HER DOG IN THE EAST VILLAGE

• focus that camera dude, I have a headache after trying to read those 45 labels

• hey dakar--is that rufus harley record him playing bagpipes? like on kings/queens. i've never been able to get down to the sound of the bagpipes, especially when someone plays "windy" with them. but that record looks like some cosmic religious freshness, a lot different than his other stuff.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    focus that camera dude, I have a headache after trying to read those 45 labels
    !!

hey dakar--is that rufus harley record him playing bagpipes? like on kings/queens. i've never been able to get down to the sound of the bagpipes, especially when someone plays "windy" with them. but that record looks like some cosmic religious freshness, a lot different than his other stuff.

yep, outside of a few seconds of a spacey intro, it's bagpipe r&b/funk.

i like a couple of cuts, but overall it's not too impressive.

• hey dakar--is that rufus harley record him playing bagpipes? like on kings/queens. i've never been able to get down to the sound of the bagpipes, especially when someone plays "windy" with them. but that record looks like some cosmic religious freshness, a lot different than his other stuff.

recreation of the gods is a private press funk bagpipe thing.
    definitely still has the pipes, but there is some honest to goodness thick shit on there that is worth seeking out."cosmic religious freshness" definiteyl a good descrption! very raer,rather expensive....but it got reissued recently. on the ankh label

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    hey dakar--is that rufus harley record him playing bagpipes? like on kings/queens. i've never been able to get down to the sound of the bagpipes, especially when someone plays "windy" with them.

recreation of the gods is a private press funk bagpipe thing.
    definitely still has the pipes, but there is some honest to goodness thick shit on there that is worth seeking out."cosmic religious freshness" definiteyl a good descrption! very raer,rather expensive....but it got reissued recently. on the ankh label

He doesn't play bagpipes all the way through, though. There's a great track on it called Etymology where he is just playing the e-sax:

etymology.mp3 - 8.59MB

I wasn't aware that this had been re-issued. I know one of the tracks got comped by Luv'n'Haight many years ago.

haven't spent too much time with it (rufus harley) so maybe it will grow on me.

also--anyone know about that mr. magic 45 at all? seems like it could be another considering it was released by himself with limited distribution at the time...but this is the 45 version, not the 12" version that is comped. still pretty dope.
    i've found two mr. magic og releases in like a months time from different places for pennies..seems like ridiculous luck to me--but is there a full on magic records/tri state discog listed anywhere?

• haven't spent too much time with it (rufus harley) so maybe it will grow on me.

this is the one to get "love is blue" is amazing!

just read the rufus harley bio on wiki, seems like he was a really good guy. he lived in north and northwest philly for most of his life and seemed like he was involved with the community a bit.

i should give the record another listen soon. thanks to t tripdouble for the knowledge. i was pretty oblivious to this beforehand.