unlocked iphones

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I just bought one of these off ebay. It accepts my t mobile sim and I am in heaven. I have owned every state of the art cel offered and nothing is touching this!

Comments

• Just be careful when you get it serviced to change it back to ATT mode, or they may blacklist your phone and or deny service!

That said I am insanely jealous, I am copping a touch as soon as I get them in... First thing I'm gonna do is throw it in an Invisble shield to keep it nice and shiny... Can't wait...
    Now Apple just needs to add flash support for Safari! I also hope that once the touch is fully released that there will be hacks for it as well, so we can get Mail and a proper uncrippled calendar app... Games would be nice too...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I just bought one of these off ebay. It accepts my t mobile sim and I am in heaven. I have owned every state of the art cel offered and nothing is touching this!

Yo Raj,

I read someting that said that the unified messaging does not work on the unlocked iphones. If that is the case, that would be pretty wack. I'm still using the crackberry 8830 world edition and like it very much. Will the iphone work in other countries?

• Raj, what did you end up paying for it? And what kind of monthly service plan are you working with($$$)?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    if you have problems with your visual voicemail, check this out.

fyi: http://www.iphoneatlas.com/ is so for iphone tricks and info. have fun dood!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Raj, what did you end up paying for it? And what kind of monthly service plan are you working with($$$)?

I bought a 4 GB ipHone unlocked for $400. Not an insanely hot deal considering the 8 Gigs retail for $400... but I figured I paid someone to hack it for me,, which is nice. I just plugged in my T-Mobile sim and I was ready to go.

My work pays for my cel phone and data plane so I have no idea what the rates are.

I just know that this phone is a work of art.

Just be careful when you get it serviced to change it back to ATT mode, or they may blacklist your phone and or deny service!

Yeah.. I knew what I was getting into when I bought this. The warranty is void if hacked. The apple store won't accept exchanges on a hacked iphone, either.

Some minor annoyances with the hacked iphone include no visual voice mail or youtube functionality. In fact, I probably could read up on how to haceeven those but I am wary of messing with this masterpiece.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    anyone know if theres a way to mass text with the iphone?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

www.twitter.com

• is anyone gonna try and get down with the minione?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    right now, the iPhone is still a better deal than the touch in terms of functionality. People who think the touch is just an iPhone sans phone will discover that you lose sig more than the ability to make phone calls. Apple deliberately removed functionality, presumably to separate the two products more but if u were a touch buyer, I'd be pretty annoyed at what gets left off.

Btw, I highly rec to iphoners to install apptap. The number of really useful 3rd party software is still limited but rSBT is essential as is summerboard. Sendsongs is also good for custom ringtone installation and so far, has proven unaffected by the recent iTunes updates.

The two IM apps still need work though. Web-based IM is still more stable.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    DIY Unlocking

for those interested: this is a viable DIY walkthrough to iPhone unlocking.

• Waiting for the Google gPhone which is rumored to cost $100.

raj, you see all the dire warnings today about unlocked phones potentially bricking?

raj, you see all the dire warnings today about unlocked phones potentially bricking?

How so? Through future firmware updates?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

in this day and age bricking isn't even scary, the modders will just come out with some shit like a usb version of a pandoras battery that can unbrick it by flashing the firmware back a generation like on the psp.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I read someting that said that the unified messaging does not work on the unlocked iphones. If that is the case, that would be pretty wack. I'm still using the crackberry 8830 world edition and like it very much. Will the iphone work in other countries?

The legit ones sure can work overseas, it's just the global roaming fees that put user off. If you have the hacked one, then I think you can just buy a prepaid SIM card and pop that into your iphone, much alike your regular cell phones, at least here in HKG they have hacked cell phones, but users here just don't feel the 2G/GPRS data transmission.

Sounds more like a scare tactic: "???Apple strongly discourages users from installing unauthorized unlocking programs on their iPhones. Users who make unauthorized modifications to the software on their iPhone violate their iPhone software license agreement and void their warranty. The permanent inability to use an iPhone due to installing unlocking software is not covered under the iPhone???s warranty.???

HOWEVER, they are about to upgrade the iPHone's software this week and the saber-rattling seems to suggest that this update will create problems with unlocked iPhones. You should wait on upgrading until you've read what other folks' experience has been. Apple claims they're not trying to deliberately brick people's unlocked phones but they're also being very sly in saying they're not liable for doing so if that's what ends up happening.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Much alike when the Sony PSP first came out, everyone who wants to play ISO are stuck with Firmware version 1.5.

Yeah, I can't see it be worth that. The current iPHone is in such a state of infancy in terms of its features potential that staying at this level, just to have the carrier of your choice, doesn't seem worth the sacrifice. I was annoyed to have to leave T-Mobile for AT&T but at the end of the day, it's not a real big difference and at least this way, I'm not worried about Apple trying to turn my iPhone into one big paperweight.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Yep. I think it's just a matter of getting used to, as you see cell phone users in Japan are just as happy as their phones "slaved" to their service plan/phone number/cell phone provider, which is very similar to the whole AT&T-iphones model.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Will a hacked iPhone work with Sprint or Verizon? They don't use SIM cards as far as I know. That's my work and/or personal phones. I could use it with either. I'm almost willing to pay the termination fee on my Verizon to switch over to AT&T now. A stupid move for me since I just reupped with Verizon a few months back. Dammit.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    not to rain on parades, but this was probably the worst time/month to buy an iPhone or anything Apple makes.

Macworld started this morning and the jobsnote is tomorrow, in which, he will probably announce the 3G iPhone that the CEO of AT&T has previously confirmed will ship in 2008. So you should see the first iPhone's price drop significantly AGAIN shortly.

never ever ever nenver nurnver, buy any Apple product within months of MacWorld, unless you like buyers regret.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    he's back!

my homie christopher (who is on here) rocks an unlocked iPhone with T-Mobile service. says he hasn't had any real prolengs. just gotta watch the updates n what not.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    he's back!

and it's all your fault.

he's back!

my homie christopher (who is on here) rocks an unlocked iPhone with T-Mobile service. says he hasn't had any real prolengs. just gotta watch the updates n what not.

Update. I tried to charge my iPhone with a Griffin Powerjolt charger (says iPhone approved) and it fried my battery. I took it to the Genius Bar and they couldn't find me in the AT&T activation database and I conveniently "forgot" my SIM card. Dude knew I was full of shit but gave me another one anyways. I proceeded to unlock the new one myself by using iNdependence and AnySIM. Apparently the new firmware 1.1.2 is harder to hack.. still you can get one of those TurboSIM's and fool it that way.

• my girl just got me one for christmas. about to hook it up today

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    my girl just got me one for christmas. about to hook it up today
    cue "I BROKE MY IPHONE (NRR)" thread being posted

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    still you can get one of those TurboSIM's and fool it that way.

TurboSim? Please to explain.

I played with an iPhone today at an AT&T store. I was pretty disappointed with the internet speed which is really the only reason I'd buy it.

TurboSim? Please to explain.

http://www.iphoneworld.ca/news/2007/08/14/unlock-iphone-for-any-carrier-with-turbosim/

I was pretty disappointed with the internet speed which is really the only reason I'd buy it.

95% of the time I use wi-fi. Wi-fi is everywhere these days.