groove merchant

gruntgravelgruntgravel 559 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
If you had to weed down your collection to only one groove merchant title which one would you keep. I'd keep this one and hide Simba.

Comments

• I don't own a single album on Groove Merchant. Somebody prove to me that I am disconnected.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I don't own a single album on Groove Merchant.

Me either ( high five!!!!!!!)

• I don't own a single album on Groove Merchant.

Me either ( high five!!!!!!!)

This was not a very encouraging way to start a well-intentioned thread.

SoulHawk and I apologize.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

definitely this one, great record imo.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I've hung onto my Reuben Wilson "Cisco Kid" LP ...

• Hey, the truth is the truth. I know some people keep some GM titles in their collection.

SoulHawk and I apologize.

speak for yourself little buddy.

I look down my nose with contempt at those who gripp McGriff

I sneer at these soul-jazz-sweating little dudes.

• Groove Merchant is just like CTI - both were tepid instrumental jazz labels whose best acts were vocalists (GM had Junior Parker, while CTI had Esther Phillips).

• I knew it would take 10 posts for the word tepid to show up.

• [color:blue]I knew it would take 10 posts for the word tepid to show up. [/color]

hey, if it fits, dont fight it

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Groove Merchant is just like CTI - both were tepid instrumental jazz labels whose best acts were vocalists (GM had Junior Parker, while CTI had Esther Phillips).

The worst GM records I've heard were Jr Parker titles.

• FLYJACK!

tepid

all kidding aside, it's just kinda hard to get excited about some of these funky-organ soul-jazz type records - they tend to be a little samey if you know what I mean.

stump juice, groove grease, mo greens, fried whatever etc etc.

• Inner Crisis broke out of the standard GM mold a bit. I keep that one around.

• tepid

all kidding aside, it's just kinda hard to get excited about some of these funky-organ soul-jazz type records - they tend to be a little samey if you know what I mean.

stump juice, groove grease, mo greens, fried whatever etc etc.

I like funky soul jazz when it's done right. That said, GM didn't get Groove Holmes and Jimmy McGriff's best stuff, IMO. I'm not as up on Holmes, but seems like McGriff had quality albums on every label EXCEPT GM...

• Groove Merchant is just like CTI - both were tepid instrumental jazz labels whose best acts were vocalists (GM had Junior Parker, while CTI had Esther Phillips).

The worst GM records I've heard were Jr Parker titles.

The only two GM albums I have involve Parker - one is the LP with the cover photo of an Asian kid eating a watermelon (You Don't Have To Be Black To Love The Blues), and the other one is a collaboration with Jimmy McGriff (Good Things Don't Happen Every Day). Both are real good, to my ears, especially after hearing some of his blah Mercury/Blue Rock sides from the sixties. And Wayne Bennett is doing some serious chicken choking on the guitar...

• [seems like McGriff had quality albums on every label EXCEPT GM...

groove grease is pretty decent

• I've hung on to the Ramon Morris, Larry Willis Inner Crisis, and Junior Parker Love Ain't Nothin.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The Larry Willis is reasonably palatable. But I don't actually own any GM records.

• "No Trouble On The Mountain" is pretty exceptional. Almost perfect even.