Post some Raer gospel heat

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
No Nashboro Sherman Hemsley "amen" steez...the rough stuffI thought I would kick it off with 4 gospel facemelters...hell, y'all might think these are wack, who knows? But I think Lucifer himself could get down with these, 4 of the raw variety....post yoursThis one speaks for itself:TOUGH Memphis gospel:Another Memphis winner:A mean, head noddin' Lula Collins cover:

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Local gospel piece from a lady named Betty Perkins.

DivShare File - 10 Step Out In The Water.m4a

I recently grabbed a double of this at a thrift if anyone wants some gospel love

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    hell, y'all might think these are wack, who knows?

Highly doubtful. :AlGreenGraemlin: :AlGreenGraemlin: :AlGreenGraemlin:

• Since the players are screwing up, if you click on the divshare logo on the player it will take you to a download link...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    hell, y'all might think these are wack, who knows?

Highly doubtful. :AlGreenGraemlin: :AlGreenGraemlin: :AlGreenGraemlin:

I now have Jesus in my heart, thanks man!

And let the blessings keep flowing

• i can't really tell who this is, because i just sourced it and am already in talks about a reissue...

but here's a sip of the juice.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    i can't really tell who this is, because i just sourced it and am already in talks about a reissue...

that's cool, I like the guitar in that.

---

Here's a couple that I have on deck...

a local Detroit 45 on 'Sacred Sounds' - recorded by Dave Hamilton at his TCB studios - where he also produced the Detroit Sex Machines among others...

Fantastic Voices of Joy

this is Rance Allen's first record( from 1969) - the 45 was put out by the owner of a music store he worked at in Monroe Michigan( between Detroit & Toledo) - he & his brothers were teenagers.

Rance Allen Singers

• This is one of my favorite albums, ever

The Carroll Jones Singers - When We Get Over

from Northwest Baltimore (Liberty Heights)

• Thanks for posting that JP. Listening right now.

Keep an eye out for this one in NYC:

Inspirational Singers on Fine

• sorry i don't have MP3's yall... i'm kinda technologically challenged...

but i have a picture... and i want to share/contribute for the occasion today

this record is real lo-fi, but i love it. It might not be the gospel sound that's "in" or fashionable or whatever, meaning it might not command $$, but there's good music on here.
    Recorded in my hometown. It's on the Triumph label. J. Callins is producer and bassist!!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Here's a couple that I have on deck...

a local Detroit 45 on 'Sacred Sounds' - recorded by Dave Hamilton at his TCB studios - where he also produced the Detroit Sex Machines among others...

Fantastic Voices of Joy

this is Rance Allen's first record( from 1969) - the 45 was put out by the owner of a music store he worked at in Monroe Michigan( between Detroit & Toledo) - he & his brothers were teenagers.

Rance Allen Singers

Could we get the song names for these tracks please?

• Coolhands - That Relatives thing you posted is incredible, thanks! I try and post a few things tonight.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    thank you all for these tracks
    these songs are amazing.
    i dont know much about gospel but these are some heaters

Could we get the song names for these tracks please?

the fantastic voices of joy is 'what a friend', the rance allen tune is 'lets get together and love'...

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    i can't really tell who this is, because i just sourced it and am already in talks about a reissue...

that's cool, I like the guitar in that.

---

and the flip is great too. That is one of my favorite finds ever

fyi dave, the name shows up when you download

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    cool Memphis gospel Er**, thanks for posting those

• is anyone familiar with los redimidos? its not gospel like this stuff here. its a latino church band out of san jose, ca on some private label that has the stock beach wave and driftwood cover. i loaned my copy to a friend only to never see it again. its kinda like churchy sergio mendes and the brasil 66.

• cool Memphis gospel Er**, thanks for posting those

youre welcome! the first one is outta Detroit...I am kicking myself for not buying every copy I saw a couple years ago at this one spot as it just sold for $180...dang!

BTW, you dont wanna know what I sold that Brenda Jones for you traded me a few years ago...we had no idea to its raerness in retrospect, so if you see another, scoop without reservation!

• the only gospel record i've ever found that i liked is pictured below, not sure how it compares to the rest listed since i can't seem to play any, anyway new born soul is pretty good, it's by the victory travelers & reubin burton on whirl hill recording out of chicago

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

BTW, you dont wanna know what I sold that Brenda Jones for you traded me a few years ago...we had no idea to its raerness in retrospect, so if you see another, scoop without reservation!

uh-oh, I've forgotten already, what title was it. Not on Mercury?

• BTW, you dont wanna know what I sold that Brenda Jones for you traded me a few years ago...we had no idea to its raerness in retrospect, so if you see another, scoop without reservation!

uh-oh, I've forgotten already, what title was it. Not on Mercury?

yes, the one on mercury, super stroke/big mistake. I had it in my $2 sales box for 2 record swaps here in Memphis since I wasnt really feelin' it anymore, luckily it was still in there in the closet when I found out about it...I was sweatin' it because I thought I remembered someone picking it up at a swap...

• plaese to post Stovall Sisters..

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    From one of my favorite gospel records.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

Is this that thing I think it is? The thing we talked about in that shitty diner in downtown LA last year?

Might be time to resurrect that project.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    This is one of my favorite albums, ever

ummmmmm.....how do i say this?

to be fair i'm only on the second song. but WHAT A SONG

THANK YOU DUDE. find me a copy of this please.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Is this that thing I think it is? The thing we talked about in that shitty diner in downtown LA last year?

Might be time to resurrect that project.

Word. I recently, finally, copped their second LP. Assuming they have the OG tapes that can be remastered (since the fidelity was kind of crap on both records), could be some good stuff.

I know ya'll got a lot on your plate though - my label dude (at Zealous) might also be interested in doing something with this. I don't really care personally, so long as someone gets it done. If ya'll pass, I might pick your brain though.

• I am just now getting around to checking out this thread, which has been lingering for a while:

No Nashboro Sherman Hemsley "amen" steez...the rough stuff

As if Nashboro was smooth?!?

Hook, Hook, Hook, normally you have right-on tastes and of all people I would have figured that you would know better than that.

If you had to use a scapegoat for bland mainstream gospel, I would have understood if you had said Word Records or something, but Nashboro? Why, of all labels, would you choose to clown Nashboro? No firm that gave us the Consolers, the Gospel Keynotes, Rev. Cleophus Robinson (dig the bluesy "Poor Boy From Mississippi"), the Supreme Angels, the Angelic Gospel Singers, the Brooklyn All-Stars or the Swanee Quintet can be called "Sherman Hemsley Amen steez." Yeah, they may have done some smooth choir stuff so they could compete with Andrae Crouch and them, but hey, they were a business that had to survive like everybody else. But their quartet recordings were as raw as an open wound and could fill a box set. Just the early green-label Nashboros alone, when they had that cold-blooded echo chamber in their studios, could stand up to (and shut down some of) the private-press records y'all love so much.

I dig the small labels run from the stoop of grandpappy's outhouse just like you, but don't go getting carried away, now...if Edna Gallmon Cooke's "Stop Gambler" (a Nashboro release) came out on some vanity label, you'd be posting soundclips and scouring eBay for a copy right away.

• I am just now getting around to checking out this thread, which has been lingering for a while:

No Nashboro Sherman Hemsley "amen" steez...the rough stuff

As if Nashboro was smooth?!?

Hook, Hook, Hook, normally you have right-on tastes and of all people I would have figured that you would know better than that.

If you had to use a scapegoat for bland mainstream gospel, I would have understood if you had said Word Records or something, but Nashboro? Why, of all labels, would you choose to clown Nashboro? No firm that gave us the Consolers, the Gospel Keynotes, Rev. Cleophus Robinson (dig the bluesy "Poor Boy From Mississippi"), the Supreme Angels, the Angelic Gospel Singers, the Brooklyn All-Stars or the Swanee Quintet can be called "Sherman Hemsley Amen steez." Yeah, they may have done some smooth choir stuff so they could compete with Andrae Crouch and them, but hey, they were a business that had to survive like everybody else. But their quartet recordings were as raw as an open wound and could fill a box set. Just the early green-label Nashboros alone, when they had that cold-blooded echo chamber in their studios, could stand up to (and shut down some of) the private-press records y'all love so much.

I dig the small labels run from the stoop of grandpappy's outhouse just like you, but don't go getting carried away, now...if Edna Gallmon Cooke's "Stop Gambler" (a Nashboro release) came out on some vanity label, you'd be posting soundclips and scouring eBay for a copy right away.

dude, I was just saying nashboro, because we are up to our EYEBALLS in Smoove Nashboro stuff here at the shop, and yes there are some nice and rough releases on there...but have a flip through our Nashboro titles here at the shop...sherman for days...that is why I picked that name out of the blue...also, I listen to every 45 that comes through the shop, major and vanity, so I am not boiling it down to a private label Vs. well known label. As I have said before on the board, if "Engine No 9" or any number of Isley 45s, etc were on indie labels, folks would be bidding crazy money on ebay, so I know what you are saying there...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Not raer, it's by everyone's favorite Gospel quartet (on HOB, hint hint) and I want to keep this thread going.