THE STATE OF 'DIGGING'

2»

Comments

• record stores have been good to me recently.

don't give up hope. I'm still having come-ups. In fact, maybe it's just cause I know more records to look out for now, but I've been finding more relatively $ joints recently than in the past.

yesterday was this one for $3.

few weeks back it was a stash of Senegalese lp's (Etoile de Dakar's n more) for cheap. And that's at stores.

• Speaking of traveling, I'll be in Pittsburgh in a few weeks. Any spots worth hitting up?

check the avatar man!

or at least do a board search!...

or basically, Jerry's is solid and you never know what might pop up @ the Attic (but you'll have to get dirty) pm for details/directions or whatever

• Is this a thread about a lack of good records (which I think is imagined) or gripes that shop owners and vinyl sellers are getting hip to the game?

There are plenty of bad shops around the country but the records are still around. If you don't have time to look, well then you pay the price for convenience I guess.

I wish there were more good shops but you gotta think about the other side of it - if you're one of a shop's only big customers, and you only spend $100 every once a month visit (if that), and the other two guys spend even less, can you really blame Billy Bob Shopowner for asking more money, using ebay, or stopping the sale of vinyl altogether?

• Eventhough record stores aren't what they used there still worth checking. l found 4-5 seriously raer records in one Florida shop last year and they looked liked they'd been in the shop for a long time. And they were cheap. If you live close to a store then check often. Befriend the staff by finding out what they collect and then keeping your eyes peeled for anything in that genre. Trade. Also let them know what you're looking for. For years now two or three local spots will call me any time any Brazilian records (no matter the title) come in. It took years to get to that but I put in the effort.
    Estate sales are rough but there are still finds some times. I hate the jockeying and sharp elbowed grippers so I don't go as much as I used to.
    Fleas still have records although not as consistently as a few years back. There are not as many records and some are getting cherry picked before they even get to the market.
    Thift stores are still turning up heat but you gotta check often (again).
    You gotta remember that the day when eveyone used records as their primary way to hear music is getting farther and farther into the past. CD sales passed LP sales almost 20 years ago so naturally the supply is diminishing. You just have to be creative (and persistent).

• digging and sourcing has become more difficult, but, hey, anyone knows this is a game of diminishing returns. i still find some records. and I do scoff equally as much at people who complain that they can't come up for dirt cheap and stores that try to get too much for the pieces they have. I shoot for a happy medium, good values for the records I sell. It is not a bad thing to pay for the service of someone finding they records for you and presenting them for you to buy.

It is time to wait for the baby boomers to pass their records on or step even further out of the box to find records.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    THERE IS STILL HOPE.
    I HAD AN EMORMOUS COME UP EARLIER THIS YEAR RIGHT HERE IN NYC.

READ ABOUT IT HERE:
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=812604&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    digging and sourcing has become more difficult, but, hey, anyone knows this is a game of diminishing returns. i still find some records. and I do scoff equally as much at people who complain that they can't come up for dirt cheap and stores that try to get too much for the pieces they have. I shoot for a happy medium, good values for the records I sell. It is not a bad thing to pay for the service of someone finding they records for you and presenting them for you to buy.

It is time to wait for the baby boomers to pass their records on or step even further out of the box to find records.

As I told Dave the other day...congratulations on bringing Austin the best record store the city has ever scene.

Dave's got heat more consistently than Antone's has ever had and his replenishing of inventory is probably just as thorough as it was at Sound Exchange.

Thank you, Friends of Sound.

• digging and sourcing has become more difficult, but, hey, anyone knows this is a game of diminishing returns. i still find some records. and I do scoff equally as much at people who complain that they can't come up for dirt cheap and stores that try to get too much for the pieces they have. I shoot for a happy medium, good values for the records I sell. It is not a bad thing to pay for the service of someone finding they records for you and presenting them for you to buy.

As I told Dave the other day...congratulations on bringing Austin the best record store the city has ever scene.

Dave's got heat more consistently than Antone's has ever had and his replenishing of inventory is probably just as thorough as it was at Sound Exchange.

Thank you, Friends of Sound.

How have our paths never crossed at FoS?

don't give up hope. I'm still having come-ups. In fact, maybe it's just cause I know more records to look out for now, but I've been finding more relatively $ joints recently than in the past.

few weeks back it was a stash of Senegalese lp's (Etoile de Dakar's n more) for cheap. And that's at stores.

audio: http://download.yousendit.com/09FAC05734E151EF

i have also turned up a couple of these. does this go for any $? regardless, that "people" track is my ish. i wish i had it on 45.

• ive been coming up at shops all year.
    its all about frequent check ins.

found a rufus harley recreation of the gods for a tenner

• I would agree...but, I've been coming up all the times I've managed to go digging....maybe I'm building up chi in my hands....resulting in raers in crates...not sure...will research more

• I just got back from Detroit. I found a lot of good records in stores.

• denvers good for that too

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• ive been coming up at shops all year.
    its all about frequent check ins.

found a rufus harley recreation of the gods for a tenner

DIE

congrats. the last come up like that was about 5 years ago seriously. can't remember the last time i found a really killer record at a shop for cheap.

i guess it's a matter of where you are. the shops around here are dry dry dry. i did come up like crazy on a modern soul collection but didn't keep any of it so it doesn't count.

i've found 1 record in 3 years here at the three thrifts in town. and i go 3 times a week! or I did. good thing i buy other shit besides records.

i noticed record stores (that I went to) started going downhill around 2000 or when ebay started getting more prominent. i don't blame them but it kind of kills the fun if all the good records you are getting come through the mail!

oh well.

and i have another complaint as well...are there even any good record mail order websites anymore ?

• Thift stores are still turning up heat but you gotta check often (again).

I go to at least one thrift a day usually two and I might go a week or two or three with out finding even a common record I want to buy, then bang I find something that gets me charged up again. Usually it comes in waves too. I have found some really good shit this year and almost all of it has come from thrift stores.

• denvers good for that too

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

LOL. How many times am I gonna see this picture pop up on here?? Whatever Ari is offering you for an original print, I'll double it.

Funnily enough, Brad was wearing that mask just the other day while packing for his trip to Europe.

Funk night was fun!

• whoa, i missed the part where RAJ found Stark Reality !!! dayyyyum

I've come to realize that record stores are not the places anymore.

This is what I've been thinking lately too. I mean there's a couple record spots where its still possible to pull the facemelting heat, but generally, in this day and age, you gotta think outside the box, take it to the next level. I know that somewhere, not even that far from here probably, there's heat sitting there in an unassuming place just waiting... only trick is to find it. My only worry is whether i have the necessary time and motivation these days. I mean i love music and records as much as ever, but I only have so much time in a week anymore...

Okay!! Now were both records inside?

• It is time to wait for the baby boomers to pass their records on

god, i hope so. but i have this nagging feeling that most baby boomers -- who are now 60 -- dumped their collections years ago.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I'm digging on soulstrut.com these days.

Are we trying to act like we have this all this stuff or are we not replying because we're too busy DL'ing (t)his music? (check reynaldo's mp3, no foreplay post) CMON! (this CRUSHES my whole collection)

• That was me, and I ain't hidin' it.

Just got a fat check from a dj gig, i've bought like 3 records in the last 6 months, and i've wanted that in the collection for awhile...

I ain't ashamed, and it's just money (and extra money, at that.)

• I've been off yje radar in terms of digging due to family life and unemployment. But the last few times I did venture into a record store I felt shit was too sterile and pretentious. I found more heat from random flea markets and now that I'm in Long Island, the infamous tag sale. I know that somewhere someones not paying a storage bill and that a come up is on the horizon

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    record stores have been good to me recently.

nice score. i remember that on some TSL wall piece shit a few years back. whats it sound like? im unfamiliar with it...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    diggin is a Waste of time right now. I work, so I'm way too busy.

So it cant be a waste if u have no time.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    RAJ!!! Your hands look huge man!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    To me diggin is a Waste of time right now. I work, so I'm way too busy. And I just need records sample to not to hang on my wall or try to impress someone with. So I'll do all the above: hit up record stores, Private dealers, EBAY (BIG TIME!) So holla if you got a that heat!!

This post contradicts itself like 4 times

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    For me it's all about hitting spots often.
    I'm always in different parts of town for work and I'm hitting
    the spots daily. The ones with new arrivals sections
    are obviously best, I'm not trying to look through 1,000's
    of records to find the one you put out this week.
    Stores with no new arrivals section, get the bozack.

And people's advice about befriending your local shop employees
    is one of your best bets. Find out what they are into and find some
    stuff for them and you are in.
    My collection has reaped the benefits from just such a relationship.

Case in point:

and that's only a one day haul!

nice score. i remember that on some TSL wall piece shit a few years back. whats it sound like? im unfamiliar with it...

audio: http://download.yousendit.com/09FAC05734E151EF

that's the standout track on the album imo

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    hmmm.

out here in Hong Kong, its still going pretty good for me.

i don't have a deep collection so i still find lots of basic/ common but good records here...once in a while of oucrse but the feeling is good knowing that the guy next to me are on some classical/ audiophile records rather than anything with a beat on it.

one man's trash is another's treasure i suppose, i'm happy.