does anyone own/play non-traditional instruments?

youknowyouknowyouknowyouknow 264 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
any oud players? buchla modular opperators? gamelan players? i'm thinking of buying a gamelan, they're fairly cheap and have a rich, warm sound...run it through external efx, space-echo, shhwweeet

Comments

• their are a ton of skinflute masters on this forum.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I play tabla. I used to rock an instrument that I made out of a water pump, pvc pipes with holes in them, and various valves in a tub. It made rain-like sounds. THe thing with buying a Gamelan, or similarly esoteric instrument, is that the first one you buy will undoubtedly be of quesitonable integrity, but it won't matter until after you buy the second one.

Rapping is pretty esoteric these days, right? Put me down for rapping.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I play a mean mouth trumpet/trombone/tuba (no homo). I've actually been sampled by a real, live hop-hip producer! (no homo)

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I bought a vibraphone last month.
    (insert Feelin It graemlin here)

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I play an electric cello. It's difference from its acoustic form is that it can be manipulated to sound an awful lot liek an oud, erhu, or sarangi.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I play an electric cello. It's difference from its acoustic form is that it can be manipulated to sound an awful lot liek an oud, erhu, or sarangi.

I heard a sarangi in real life for the first time last year. No recording that I have ever heard comes close to the haunting/distant/ethereal quality of this instrument.

• I have an oud, but I wouldn't say I play it per-se. That shit is incredibly hard to get down...

• their are a ton of skinflute masters on this forum.

Faux Rillz has been killng it on the dick-olo scene for years. Basically the Jigga of Christopher Street.