Minneapolis anyone?

wonton55wonton55 11 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I just moved here and it's hip and all...but I'm lost. Anyone know the cities or have suggestions? LET ME KNOW THANKS

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    two words:
    Shuga Records

• two words:
    Shuga Records

for all your over-priced rinked record needs!

Holla at TheeCasualMale - a fine host. and if you're super nice, he'll hook you with his Asian Honey posse!

• holler at me. no asian cutie pie posse for me though.

• theecasualmale is the most bestest host ever! i feel like i learned a ton about minneapolis while i was there.

WELLSTONE!

sincerely,
    asian posse member, west coast division

• Hahaha, G*****s definitely got to see the dance squad in full force.

What up Wonton! Here are some things to check out in town.

Record stores: Hymie's in midtown, Cheapo in Uptown, Cheapo in St. Paul, Treehouse Records in Uptown.

DJ nights: Wednesdays at Dinkytowner (me spinning '80s), Saturdays at the back room of Foundation downtown (me spinning funk, soul, boogie with some other folks), Fridays and Saturdays at Imperial Room (King Otto and Greg Buck spinning hip hop, funk, and party shit), Saturdays at First Ave (electro, death disco, dance rock art shool madness)

Restaurants: Lotus, Jasmine Deli (Vietnamese), Matt's (home of Minneapolis' famous burger the Jucy Lucy), Cossetta in St Paul (pizza, Italian family joint), Sunny Side-Up, Hell's Kitchen, The Egg and I, Our Kitchen, Butter, Square Peg (breakfast, brunch)

Welcome to town!
    Mike

• Duh.

3rd Thursday of every month: Hipshaker at Jitter's (in NE). Best funk / soul dance night in town!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have a show this Monday with me, Pharoahe Monch and Orgone. It should be good - I'll post up the info in a little bit.

• Duh.

3rd Thursday of every month: Hipshaker at Jitter's (in NE). Best funk / soul dance night in town!

thats tonight! you trying to roll out mike?

don't forget the "run ya jewelz" beat battle every third tuesday at the dinkytowner! october 16th is the 2 year anniversary with all the past winners battling in 4 rounds and dj kool akeem on the twins (shameless promotion)! also supberush 427 playing funk and related grooves at solera on saturday nights.

and the chicken wings at monte carlo or pepitos are the best in town!

oh yeah, if you're lookin for some crack rocks, just come by my flat, they serve em up hot right next door!

• oh yeah, if you're lookin for some crack rocks, just come by my flat, they serve em up hot right next door!

• oh yeah, if you're lookin for some crack rocks, just come by my flat, they serve em up hot right next door!

Psssst, hey buddy. Come over here. You want to buy a letter C?

• Hahaha, G*****s definitely got to see the dance squad in full force.

Square Peg (breakfast, brunch)

Square peg was the shit!!!! And also down the street I caught some butta jawns!

What's been good my Casual friend?

• You went to Sunny Side Up! Square Peg is on some low-key shit near our office.

Everything's groovy up here. I'll try to holler when I'm in Nashville over Thanksgiving.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I haven't been in the area for a while, but I used to have great luck at Cheapo for records.

• You went to Sunny Side Up!
    i hope they still have the delicious french toast.

• pepitos is the best in town!

agreed, so necessary. not much to add here except al's for breakfast in dinkytown. actually the dinkytowner's been known to serve up a money omelette on a hungover sunday morning. check out 5th element in uptown if you're into hip hop at all.

• You went to Sunny Side Up!

the shit was banging regardless

• Matt's (home of Minneapolis' famous burger the Jucy Lucy)

There are dozens of places in the Cities that claim this.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You went to Sunny Side Up!
    i hope they still have the delicious french toast.

MIKE. I NEED. CAN I GET? ON MONDAY?

Yes, but this is the one, is it not?
    Pho 79[/b] is my pick for best pho in town.

• I've heard about Matt's. so excited. Anyone have an opinion of this new place, temple? and i hear great things about the red dragon. good or no?

Yes, but this is
    the one, is it not?
    Pho 79[/b] is my pick for best pho in town.

That's the problem -- who do you actually believe when so many places claim they're the home.

• I have a show this Monday with me, Pharoahe Monch and Orgone. It should be good - I'll post up the info in a little bit.

cosmo, you kilt it last night!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I have a show this Monday with me, Pharoahe Monch and Orgone. It should be good - I'll post up the info in a little bit.

this is true. good to see you and mike last night, cos. keep up the good work.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    I've heard about Matt's. so excited. Anyone have an opinion of this new place, temple? and i hear great things about the red dragon. good or no?

my boy books the DJ's @ temple and if you're frequenting this site you'd prolly want to check out mondays w/ my man oddio. the food is pretty damn good & the happy hour is super affordable. i'm not sure if he still does it or not, but i would check dj nickoless @ the caterpillar lounge on fridays and eat some cranberry puffs and oyster wings. and everything everyone else said.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

this is true. good to see you and mike last night, cos. keep up the good work.

Thanks Nick. That show was a lot of fun and Orgone is just TOO FUCKING GOOD. We're all chilling in St. Louis right now.

Thanks Naptown.