so any djs/artists here use press kits?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
whats good?

Comments

• whats good?

I've done my own, but I have been told "through secret sources" that in order for a press kit to be effective, it can't be more than a page or two long. I have followed that rule when I've done it for others, but never for me.

In truth, keep it to two pages or less, it's not unlike a cover letter. Say what you want to say in the least amount of space and have it be the reason they want to listen in the first place. Trim the fat and get to the essentials. If you have press clippings, include that as part of the press kit, it doesn't hurt. If you don't have reviews of your work, then you'll have to present yourself in that bio.

If you've already established yourself, then play with the idea of what a press kit or bio is supposed to be. Put your handprint on a sheet of paper, and draw a diagram, analyzing the music through the lines in your hand. No, it doesn't have to make sense, but it should be interesting. Find a coloring book, scan a page, and find a way to adapt your music to the page.

Or just be direct. Whatever your plan, as long as it's effective, take your press kit as far as you want, within sensible limits.

• whats good?

I've done my own, but I have been told "through secret sources" that in order for a press kit to be effective, it can't be more than a page or two long. I have followed that rule when I've done it for others, but never for me.

In truth, keep it to two pages or less, it's not unlike a cover letter. Say what you want to say in the least amount of space and have it be the reason they want to listen in the first place. Trim the fat and get to the essentials. If you have press clippings, include that as part of the press kit, it doesn't hurt. If you don't have reviews of your work, then you'll have to present yourself in that bio.

If you've already established yourself, then play with the idea of what a press kit or bio is supposed to be. Put your handprint on a sheet of paper, and draw a diagram, analyzing the music through the lines in your hand. No, it doesn't have to make sense, but it should be interesting. Find a coloring book, scan a page, and find a way to adapt your music to the page.

Or just be direct. Whatever your plan, as long as it's effective, take your press kit as far as you want, within sensible limits.

thanks man. I have been doing my homework on crafting one and most of what you said is right on point. Im going to do one to shop a monthly and also get some promotion from the local media. if you guys any anymore good advice it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Exactly what john b said....i'd add:

-If you have enough press clips to work out a whole page of just clips it makes sense to segment those out to a whole page.

-If publicity is what you're trying to build, learn how to write press releases (it's very easy, just make sure you come correct) and rattle them off to local news stations and newspapers every time you do anything. Whenever someone shows up you've got new and fresh quotes for those press clips in addition to the exposure and publicity you'll be getting. I've used them quite a bit and turned things that were less than newsworthy into media mentions because the timing just worked out well.

• you should really look into doing an electronic press kit. shoot a video and upload to youtube.