What Hip Hop Songs/Artists Are OK to Dislike?

2»

Comments

• Damn, I didn't mean to push any buttons. I was just genuinely surprised to learn that Seattle does not embrace Sir Mix-A-Lot. Up until now, I practically wished I lived in Seattle just so I could get away with bumping "Buttermilk Biscuits" at house parties more often.

Lived in Seattle my whole life, I bump "Swass" at parties still.

I still remember buying that cassette in 4th grade.

Thats the only album of his I've ever owned though, wait I take that back, I think I used to have the "Seminar" tape at one point.

Canonical passed up "Swass" on vinyl last month while he was here

i've got both "swass" and "seminar" on vinyl from the day they came out (hip hop soldier and i'll roll you up are my joints!). i'm not mad at mix, he definitely helped put seattle on the map. i just think cats don't like the fact that he really did it with "baby got back."

i think another thing about my thoughts on this is that you say you bought the tape in 4th grade. if you bought it when it was new that would put me as a junior in high school and part of a different generation as far as the seattle scene goes.

to further illustrate that point, check out the silent lambs release "comrade" on k records. jace does a cut (produced by mr supreme) called "who shot jr." if you remember mix-a-lot calls himself the man you love to hate, "the jr ewing of seattle." so, not only does this cut pretty much talk shit about mix, mix calling himself that meant he knew that people weren't really feeling him then either.

• Wait, let me write this down

i'm a little suprised to hear that cats cosign on "posse on broadway"

= haterade

I've seen you on hear consistently trying way too hard to basically act like boom-bap is the only real version of hip-hop music and while I know some of your cohorts from the Seattle scene would essentially agree with you on that, it doesn't make y'all or your little sub-scene any more important than all of those gangsta rap fans in Seattle that outnumber y'all by the truckload.

= not haterade

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    newsflash? i'm a little suprised to hear that cats cosign on "posse on broadway," but i can dig it.

Plaese to be checking out E-40's "Big Ballin' with My Homies." (Seriously. It's great.)

• I appreciate your thoughtful response, but ultimately this tells me all that I needed to know:

i'm a little suprised to hear that cats cosign on "posse on broadway

Of course they do. And for someone who came up in the Seattle scene to think otherwise reeks of haterade to me.

so suprise = hate?

i'm a little suprised because i didn't know that people really cared about that cut. of course that was one of his best and i still bump that 45. you should check out the video and if you can tell me who the camera is on when mix says "Were gettin dirty looks from those other sucka crews," i'll buy you a sandwich.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    to further illustrate that point, check out the silent lambs release "comrade" on k records. jace does a cut (produced by mr supreme) called "who shot jr." if you remember mix-a-lot calls himself the man you love to hate, "the jr ewing of seattle." so, not only does this cut pretty much talk shit about mix, mix calling himself that meant he knew that people weren't really feeling him then either.

I think it would be okay to add any "rap" on K Records to the list, Marco

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    (hip hop soldier and i'll roll you up are my joints!).

'Hip Hop Soldier' is oddly one of the first rap songs that I had all the lyrics committed to memory.

Fun fact #2: I actually ordered a "swass" T-shirt (black on white with the jet on it) from the order form in the cassette back in middle school, but it never arrived. Still crying about it to this day.

• I don't like music that denegrates women or reinforces stereotypes. Isn't it fair to say that Hip Hop has been critized before for stuff like that? I'm not saying that the edge has to leave, there needs to be an effort to be more aware of how words and actions have an impact. We can either keep our heads stuck in the sand and let the replusive characterizations of commercial Hip Hop represent or we can wake up and reject the propaganda.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Will any Seattle headz ride for Kid Sensation?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I still listen to my Criminal Nation tapes.