sneaker washing (NRR)

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
can i just throw them shits in the laundry machine or are they gonna shrink upwhat to do?

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    chucks & vans....go right ahead. not the greatest, but shouldn't hurt.

if we talking your AF1's or Stan Smiths, i would leave em out of the washing machine.

b/w

• if they smell, put some baking soda in them and let 'em sit outside for a night. if they are scuffed, you can try sneaker cleaner, footlocker has some good stuff. if they are just dirty....buy a new pair.

• i wouldn't put sneaks in the washing machine. oh hecks no.

are they white? are they leather? for my white shoes i use a toothbrush and bleach and then go over them with some shoe whitener and just buy new laces.

• depends on the sneaker....my man just hipped me to baby wipes which...are the shit!
    ive washed my mesh joints (am/90s, am 1s, rod lavers etc) in the washer...came out brand new.
    my man had a book in amsterdam that had all the secrets, as well as some new solution designed by sneaker heads for ppl like us. forgot the name tho! sorry t.
    also forgot who i was chillin with overseas, but they asked if i knew you and had nothing but positive words about you...which are all true.
    your the only strutter to come out to my crib.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    depends on the sneaker....my man just hipped me to baby wipes which...are the shit!
    ive washed my mesh joints (am/90s, am 1s, rod lavers etc) in the washer...came out brand new.
    my man had a book in amsterdam that had all the secrets, as well as some new solution designed by sneaker heads for ppl like us. forgot the name tho! sorry t.
    also forgot who i was chillin with overseas, but they asked if i knew you and had nothing but positive words about you...which are all true.

i been to your crib fool!

Armor all wipes work nicely as well.

• also forgot who i was chillin with overseas, but they asked if i knew you and had nothing but positive words about you...which are all true.

just playin, that was a great session.kon got beats for weeks

ok, i'm talking strictly about classic new balance joints...mesh on the toes and the suede like material around the rest of it. i got a stain or two on the mesh part especially.

flea market specials:

• dont wash any suede in the machine..or any thing that has been dyed.
    take a washcloth, hot water and some dish washing soap...dab the soap on a bit and let it go to work, then scrub. should do the trick.

i forgot you have been to my crib bsides! when i lived with my ex right ?
    you coming out to the firecracker party in l.a. on fri ?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    next kicks you get, buy some sneaker cleaner (foam or gel) and try to keep them clean on the regular. i've had a pair of white on white forces for 4 or five months that are still crispy from proper maintenance.

• Options

are they white? are they leather? for my white shoes i use a toothbrush and bleach and then go over them with some shoe whitener and just buy new laces.

I also use old toothbrushes but dip it in baking soda and then white-colored whitening toothpaste, works like a charm.

Don't know about suede though, I guess just do what Kon said. TDubbs, I got those wheat colored 574's in the middle. Nice pickup.

• naaaa, i dont have hang ups like that. rough and rugged.
    i know thats crossing the line for some folks...but i figure if someone bought sneaks, wore them and their momz is selling them at the fleas and they like new as shit, they are most likely some anal retentive, 3 shower a day, clean sock individuals.

sween, the wheats is nice! just got em on sunday for $7

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    you can put them into a front loading washing machine as it doesnt have the spindle in the midddle, i would not reccomend putting any vintage kicks in there though
    peace

• OK, here's what'cha do. This works like a charm and it does your kicks no harm.

Get a brush. Not a toothbrush (though I suppose you can use that too for lighter cleaning), get one of those small floor scrubbing brushes with the plastic bristles. Wet your kicks down, put liquid laundry detergent on the brush (small amount) and scrub. Works on mesh, suede and rubber soles. hang em out to dry on a clothesline and voila! Next day, your kicks are as good as new. Got a pair of adidas that still look really good from a regular washing. Trust me, this method works.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Toothbrush and suds for leather / suede. Although I know a dude who swears by putting the sneaks inside a soccer sock or the like to protect the surface, then into the machine, but cannot vouch for this myself.

Anything else, take the foot liner out (if it's supposed to come out) and put in the machine. No drama.

Shitty kicks are NAGL. I may be able to go to work in an unironed tee, with a day's growth, but nevarr the foetid footwear.

• Try this, works great. Sometimes better than a toothbrush and detergent.