Does anybody else feel "BLASE" about records?

124»

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    naaaaa. that shit is ingrained in my lifestyle. its like hunting and forraging. you just do it and use it as a meditative experience whilst in the midst of doing it

yall get all stressed out and bent out of shape about some tidlywink shit. might as well move on and move out. i would expound in more detail about why it is a lifestyle, but it would reveal my spots and methods.

Bingo

as always on point
    its the vege juice

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I dig for records at least 5 days a week.

I take week long digging road trips.

I've done this for 25 years.

It's a lifestyle.

I also coached all my kids teams, have a serious 9-5 job, play softball once a week(now that my hoops days are behind me), take family vacations every year and have stayed married to a woman I met in the 3rd grade(who I won't tell you is young and hot), have one kid in college and one about to be.

I submit my wife to music almost every day, which luckily, she usually enjoys.

Try telling THEM records/digging is not a lifestyle.

• I dig for records at least 5 days a week.

It's a lifestyle.

I also coached all my kids teams, have a serious 9-5 job, play softball once a week(now that my hoops days are behind me), take family vacations every year and have stayed married to a woman I met in the 3rd grade(who I won't tell you is young and hot), have one kid in college and one about to be.

Are you a dealer? If so then yeah that's a lifestyle, but it's more focussed on making money and finding inventory then "digging". I think being an artist/musician I think that's a lifestyle more than just collecting records. I think the same goes for Tony, when he's gone cross-country for records I see the yearn to go and do the "philahobo" thing is a lifestyle...get it?

And rock, you seem to have a great family and life for yourself. That's awesome.

I was going to go digging today after school and the gym. But I didn't feel like being a record store looking like I just came from a waterpark. TOMORROW I WILL DIG IN HONEUR OF MY SOULSTRUTTERUS

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I dig for records at least 5 days a week.

It's a lifestyle.

Are you a dealer? If so then yeah that's a lifestyle, but it's more focussed on making money and finding inventory then "digging". I think being an artist/musician I think that's a lifestyle more than just collecting records. I think the same goes for Tony, when he's gone cross-country for records I see the yearn to go and do the "philahobo" thing is a lifestyle...get it?

And rock, you seem to have a great family and life for yourself. That's awesome.

I was going to go digging today after school and the gym. But I didn't feel like being a record store looking like I just came from a waterpark. TOMORROW I WILL DIG IN HONEUR OF MY SOULSTRUTTERUS

DO IT.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Are you a dealer?

No question that today I'm a dealer.....didn't start out that way though.

I sell records to support my vinyl lifestyle.

It's become more of a sport vs. a means of support.

But ultimately it's because I love music and love hearing new music.

I've done a radio show, ran a somewhat successful label, etc.

But nothing gives me the rush and pleasure that digging for records does.

• i hate how everytime i start to dig, within 2 minutes i have to take the hugest shit ever. i have been in some grubby azz record store bathrooms in my lifetime.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Are you a dealer? If so then yeah that's a lifestyle, but it's more focussed on making money and finding inventory then "digging".

I think truly pursuing the "digging lifestyle" to the fullest ends up turning one into a dealer... if even only a small-time/part-time/pathetic one.

• i hate how everytime i start to dig, within 2 minutes i have to take the hugest shit ever. i have been in some grubby azz record store bathrooms in my lifetime.

This is why I like our local Goodwills they have nice clean bathrooms. I hate stores that will not let you go, I always rush and end up buying terds.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Young Phonics, just cuz the vast majority of your collection consists of titles from Pablo, CTI, and Rap Promo 12s, doesnt mean you should give up.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Winelight crushes your Obscure Hyphy 12s.

This is why I like our local Goodwills they have nice clean bathrooms. I hate stores that will not let you go, I always rush and end up buying terds.

yes. the local goodwill has clean bathrooms. they also have 4 records in the whole store. oh the bitter irony.

• I actually haven't bought anything in about a month but today i went buckwild in jersey and hit up mad slavos and goodwills and scored some real nice shit. Now i want to go on an all day mission tomorrow hitting up random thrifts all throughout central nj. its fun to dig out of state and gets me amped to bring that energy home.

it comes in waves for me. Finances and time has a great impact and i just wont dig just to dig. I have to be feeling it. My area has been depressing lately when it comes to wax so i rarely dig locally anymore. But if i get the bug i go above and beyond to find something i like. Its something that i do and will continue to do forever.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've mostly replaced digging with buying comps and reissues, although I still visit the thrifts to pass time on days off. I found a Bob James "Two" gatefold a few weeks ago and almost couldn't believe my luck. But that's what it's become, just a shadow of real digging. I scooped it for a buck (on principle) and put it next to the others.

I never expect to find any OG raers where I live, but I do like to flip through some Goodwill bins for old time's sake. I pass on the same Streisand and Mathis albums that I've been passing up for years. In a way, those terds have become old friends, too.

• Winelight crushes your Obscure Hyphy 12s.

only if you stick it on 45 so you can dance to it. On second thought, no it doesn't.

By any chance do you need the rare uptempo cuts from the Afrique Soul Makossa LP?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Winelight crushes your Obscure Hyphy 12s.

only if you stick it on 45 so you can dance to it. On second thought, no it doesn't.

By any chance do you need the rare uptempo cuts from the Afrique Soul Makossa LP?

I know this offer wasn't intended for me, but I'm looking specifically for the last cuts on each side of that Afrique LP. I've got no use for the first three cuts on each side. This has been my white whale for a long time.

• I dig in small towns and have built up networks of local collectors. I know for a fact that I'm the only one in the group sampling. I collect from old dudes and have a deal with my local spots, first crack at everything. Where I'm at is very isolated, anyone else digging for the stuff I look for is slim. I find all kinds of stuff. The old guys look at me as the next generation collector and have really helped me fill crates. They never realized their old rock albums could be used for hip hop. When I cut tracks up and then play them in a different way it blows their mind. I doubt that I will ever stop collecting, looking for the perfect beat. The satisfaction of finding that piece you were looking for or the discovery of something new will never fade. I only have 15 crates, not a lot when compared to other collections, but I like every last record. I really don't believe that you can have everything. I don't believe that collecting should be constant, although it would be nice for a while. Don't worry about taking a break or stepping back, use that time to evaluate your collection and listen to some old favorites again. You may hear something new.

• anyone else digging for the stuff I look for is slim.

are you overweight?

• I dig for records at least 5 days a week.

It's a lifestyle.

DO IT.

I finally hit up some spots
    I found a couple LP's, hopefully some "BEATZ" will emerge, but here's the winner:

A certain dealeur said it fetches some dough, so there, i'm happy and I dug.

• good work,sir. you still got the touch

did you wear the bunny suit?

• The only "blase" thing I feel about records is a) not having enough $$ to buy all the ones I want when I find them & b) the untidyness that comes with having not enough space in your house to comfortably fit the collection. These are a couple of the things that get me down a bit from time to time.

The money part is what I hate. Not having enough on hand. A record show is this weekend & I'm all ready broke. I feel a tear already!!!! The next 3 months I really can't spend anymore. Holidays, My daughters birthday, bills,time to finish my MBA, no time to dig makes me say " I might not be able to get anymore records for awhile".

• dayday 9,611 Posts

A certain dealeur said it fetches some dough, so there, i'm happy and I dug.

That records got a pretty good funk cut on there if I remember right.
    BEST TO MICROWAVE THAT SHIT BEFORE YOU CAKE OFF SON.

• I cannot stand these self-hating "I'm quittin' record collecting" threads. I hope this is the last we'll be seeing of that sorry genre!

Thank God I was out of town when this thread originally ran earlier this week. No offense to whomever started this thread, but if you're feeling blase about it, just fade yourself out the game, don't go making a BFD about it on a crate-digger e-group. It's just entertainment, y'all, lighten up. Put it in perspective and live your lives. Nobody forced you to buy all them bad 101 Strings albums just 'cause (you thought) there was a breakbeat on side two!

This earlier post sums up where I stand:

This subject comes up so often and it always seems to me like a lot of dudes who "give up on records" have narrow tastes, think they've seen it all, and get frustrated cause they cannot find any of the 100 rare records they have on the want-list while casually browsing at the record shop.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    good work,sir. you still got the touch

did you wear the bunny suit mickey mouse piece?

• I cannot stand these self-hating "I'm quittin' record collecting" threads. I hope this is the last we'll be seeing of that sorry genre!

Thank God I was out of town when this thread originally ran earlier this week. No offense to whomever started this thread, but if you're feeling blase about it, just fade yourself out the game, don't go making a BFD about it on a crate-digger e-group. It's just entertainment, y'all, lighten up. Put it in perspective and live your lives. Nobody forced you to buy all them bad 101 Strings albums just 'cause (you thought) there was a breakbeat on side two!

This earlier post sums up where I stand:

This subject comes up so often and it always seems to me like a lot of dudes who "give up on records" have narrow tastes, think they've seen it all, and get frustrated cause they cannot find any of the 100 rare records they have on the want-list while casually browsing at the record shop.

Holmes:

I didn't say I'm quitting, I said I haven't been motivated

b/w

READ-UP ON YOUR READ UPS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BONUS BEAT:

I just spent 70's bucks on records and most of it I didn't even know just buying shit that look interesting.

• OOOOOOOOH YOU SO SENSITIVE

• THEY SALTIN' LAWRY'S