Does anybody else feel "BLASE" about records?

Comments

• i dig at least once a week but it'd be more fun if i knew someone who was as into as i was

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    In all seriousness, the whole condition thing is what makes
    me grow wary of records all the time. When I was spending no more
    than $10 on records, it was one thing. But clean-looking records that
    I spend $$$ on that sound like shit when I get them home makes me want
    to give up the whole game and just buy CD's.

• damn, so that explains all the raers at the thrifts and local spots

• "I still go hard when I go out of town but locally I'm out the loop. At some point every record you haven't seen is 100+. Shit gets old.
    "

No way...do you still go to thrifts? i see records i've never seen b4 almost everytime i go. are they good? do they "look good"? no, but I've never seen 'em...

• fuck, you serious?

FUCKING WACK

holler, i'm come by and buy some records.

• I've just started the first major purge in my entire collection since I started buying records 12 years ago 'cause I'm about to move and its fucking awesome! My goal is to file it down to just one super solid ikea 5X5. Just thinking about having that much more space for more productivity and peace of mind is exciting as hell. ITS A NEW DAY! I'm still excited about records, actually thought about stopping through the GM today, but I think the key is quality > quantity to keep it fresh and exciting.

• don't think i'll ever be blase about records, but definitely feeling blase about wasting time at out of the ways thrifts with nothing to show for it.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Speaking of purging, I recently downsized from a 5x5 to a 4x4 expedite.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I think the key is quality > quantity to keep it fresh and exciting.

Exactly. It's way more satisfying to have a few crates of absolute bangers than have to scrounge around through some stuff that you thought was kinda cool to find what you really want to play. Never stop digging, but also never stop purging when you realize that a record you thought was cool the first time you heard it really doesn't hold up anymore. So helpful when pulling together a set list or a mix.

I feel frustrated with records sometimes, but never "blase" (where is my accent key?) about 'em. It's all patience. I don't care how hungover I am, I'll drag my ass to the flea on the damn bus. If you're really out there digging or buying collections, just think about how many dope records you found just in the past year, and not finding anything in a week or two seems insignificant. Sure, shit ain't easy, and don't we all wish digging was like it was 10 or 20 years ago, but the records are out there to be found, just look at the sale lists from some of the dudes on these boards. These wealthy foreign eBay dudes don't know a damn about what's out there to be found for next to nothing.

But sure, fools can just maintain this notion and go on with the myth that records are impossible to find these days. Feel free to get discouraged, cause it just means more records for me.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Speaking of purging, I recently downsized from a 5x5 to a 4x4 expedite.

Damn, you are amazingly organized with your records.

• "digging" for some is a phase that they go through trying to be cool.

it is up to each person to decide if they are totally over it (because it no longer holds social capital for them), if they do not have the time (we were all young and unemployed once), or if they are frustrated with their lack of success.... I see some folks that used to post hard on this forum on some brand new shit talwmnbout I don't really care about records anymore, but it's true, sometimes it's just a lifestyle affect and in 2007 people trade those out like breakbeat doubles and rap promos.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    MP3's have changed the game. I'd rather spend an hour on soulseek then get up, go to a store, and pay for music.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    lack of success

i haven't found even a semi-good record in two years.
    i dig for records online, both vinyl & mp3s

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    MP3's have changed the game. I'd rather spend an hour on soulseek then get up, go to a store, and pay for music.

I am the exact opposite. I love to go to a store and pay for music.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I never feel Blase about records. Then again im not some superhunter so i dont even feel the effects of burnout.

• i'm one percent online purchases.
    i have fun going out looking for shit. for a dollar mostly.
    never know what will waiting for you.

• I cant trawl online for MP3s, it is boring as hell. I like going through boxes and boxes of records, it is theraputic, even if I dont buy anything. When I am feeling stressed, I go to this spot in town, Jerry's. There are thousands upon thousands of 45s just sitting in boxes ALL over the place. So, to ease my mind I will go a spend a few hours of digging boxes from out of under tables and just sit and go through 45s. Sometimes, I dont buy anything(he uses the manship guide to price) but it is cool to just hole up in there and go through and listen to a hundred 45s. You also find realy raer records(though you know you are going to have to pay) and it is cool just to see them, "oh wow a JJ Barnes "Snowflakes" promo in a volt sleeve", etc. The only thing that has changed about my record buying habits is the lack of record money I have experienced lately, so basically it has meant I have gotten more picky. I cut down on the blind buys and a 45 has to really be top shelf for me to even consider spending more than $5 on it. The only LPs I buy nowadays and pay more than a buck or two, with any regularity are foreign stuff and Jazz LPs....top shelf soul LPs are tough to find out in the field.

• yes. I'm shopping around for a new genre. Thinking about going back to jazz. At least then there might be something to buy at records fairs.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm shopping around for a new genre.

I think this is key to avoiding boredum. Post-Modern Soul....

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "oh wow a JJ Barnes "Snowflakes" promo in a volt sleeve"

I need that.

seems obvious that alot of dudes/dudettes on here are just not that into records.

I couldn't stop if I tried, what else is there to do?

• I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm extremely enthusiastic about records. My main drawback has been that in the last six months money has been very, very tight, so much that I can barely afford to go to the flea even. I would love to be up at the crack of dawn again, but I got kids to feed, schools to pay for, a roof to keep over our heads, etc. I know once I get on top of my finances I'll be back.

• i think i need to take time out from buying records, and spend more time on the website, and recording/sharing the records I already have. Its just that buying them, takes less time. But its gotten to the point that I have so little room left that I have to bring in boxes of records and store them in my office. I have like 800 jazz records under my desk and have no place to put my feet.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    It comes in waves. I think to maintain some sanity and balance, everybody should take a breather. I have been on a year long breather and I'm anxious to get back out there and discover some new shit. I can't go as hard as I used to because (a) I have a (family) life and (b) the climate has changed drastically in the past year or so (no thanks Popsike)...

• dude, you found stark reality for a dollar last week!!!
    thats a GOOD MOTHERFUCKING CLIMATE!!!!!

daddys of the world....STOP YOUR CRYING!!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    people in their 60s/70s and 80s are passing away now
    think of all the jazz greats that passed awaay just this year alone
    imagine the scope of max roach's record collection

all of their stuff will eventually make its way out into the fleas and thrifts

i just went thru george mgrdichian's lifelong collection and found all kinds of sick records
    [he was a master oud player from armenia]
    must've been 2000 random records in his collection of which I pulled 50+

but if you are in the game I truly beleive that America will never really dry up...at least for another 20-30 years
    to me its one of the few tings this country has to offer

one day all of your stuff will wind up back where it came from too

• never that. can't stop won't stop. been buying records as long as i can remember - 1980 maybe, when i was 10? even when i had Microwave i was more into ripping the record than finding an mp3s online - which is not to say i didn't find mp3s, i just was more into ripping the actual vinyl.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Nope.

A while back, I started to get bummed and disillusioned about it and then I realized it had more to do with dealing with stores and people who had shitty attitudes than some sort of burn-out from buying records. I cut them out and things are much better!

I was sick at home last week and Man came home with a package with three beautiful records (Thank You Good Jonny Paycheck Records!!!) - I can't feel blase about that!

• I was sick at home last week and Man came home with a package with three beautiful records (Thank You Good Jonny Paycheck Records!!!) - I can't feel blase about that!

jonny is your MAN?? SCANDAL!!!!