post your weird record coincidences

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
ok, so on Tuesday I bought an old copy(its been in our shop at least 12 years...it has this old price tag, the style of which the store hasnt used since the early 90s) of Gene Vincent's S/T on Kama Sutra on a whim...not sure why, I just thought it would be good. I get it home, and I really dig it. Just that AM my girl told me how pleased she was that there were geese in the park across the street, because that meant Fall was soon to be here. That night while listening to the LP, I notice the lyrics to the song "Geese"(which is kinda strange in itself, I mean how often do you talk about geese, let alone listen to song called that) and the lyrics ponder "I wonder if the Geese are flying to Memphis, and I wonder if they will see my home"...really strange coincidenceI knew he died in the early 70s, not too log after this LP was released...he died in 1971, at 36. I was born in 71, and Im 36. Kinda of a stretch for being a strange coincidence, but its just wierd I picked this record up that day of all days, when I could have bought it a decade or so, or last year...or, well, you get it...anybody else have any similar experiences?

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    hey Hook Up, I love hearing stories like this!

Here's mine but it's not that weird...

I have been looking for this one record ( a record from Portugal) and it was impossible to find anywhere. Well, at least in chicago at the time.

So i was in a random bin and I thought "That record is going to be in there". It really didn't belong in that bin, but sure as hell I put my hand in there and that is the first record I picked out! Crazy!!!!!!!

What was crazy about it was I asked two of the employees at this record store if they had it in. "Never heard of it", they said. And once I brought it up to the counter with my stack...they were confused too.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

[hijack]speaking of portugal. Anyone every come up with this?[/hijack]

• that was pretty good. coincidentally ( or not ) I was up at 4am this morning tossing and turning with the flu and high fever. I was having some crazy stress dreams about negative feedback but then they turned to life changing career based joints. weird.

• I was given a box of 45s years ago from a friend who's grandma had passed away. It was mostly rockabilly records that I had little interest in, but one of them had a track called Terrible Ivan. That's my name. On the flip was a track with the name Max in it (can't remember exactly). That's my brother's name. Not a huge coincidence, but I found it funny and kept the record. One of these days I'll mix it in... the lyrics to Terrible Ivan are hilarious!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    this sort of goes hand in hand with the constant occurence of FINALLY finding a record you've been looking for for a hot hot minute....and then finding another copy within the next two weeks. It never fails.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    not record related but still musical

a few weekends ago i had made up my mind that i was gonna pull the trigger and buy a 70's style fender strat (had been lustign for over a year) there were two closing on ebay.. so i mull them over.. each had had things swapped / wrong with them.. so i couldnt decide which to get so i made up my mind that i would get whichever one was gonna go cheaper.. so id bid on the first up to an amount.. and if i didnt get it i would pull the BIN on the other.

i had just made up my mind when i logged onto a local msg board where lo and behold dood has just listed THE EXACT guitar i wanted within the last 5 minutes! ...for CHEAPER

one phone call later and she was mine

dood even through in an old Rat which i had LITERALLY been tryign to score off another dood that earlier same week!

it was also a full moon!

• I posted this on Waxidermy when it happened but it fits in this thread so here it is:
    I was out at the Coliseum Flea Market this morning. It had been raining earlier on in the morning and the flea was basically dead so I was chopping it up with another record dealer. We were discussing this local modern soul group called Twilight, which had recently sold to Marcofunk for $900+. Flash forward two or three hours. I have left the flea after basically striking out and am checking out a few thrift stores out in the suburbs, working my way back to Oakland along E. 14th Street. Weaksauce private lesbian folk is all I have been able to grip so far. I'm desperate for a vinyl fix, so I'm on the lookout for any hole-in-the-wall thrifts I may have overlooked in the past. I happen to spot one as I'm approaching the Fruitvale area. Park the truck and go in. Turns out they don't carry records at all so I walk out. Immediately after leaving the store I happen to glance down at the sidewalk and sitting right there IS A SEALED COPY OF THE TWILIGHT ALBUM. No other records or anything else anywhere in sight. The record had actually been sitting there in the drizzle but because it was sealed I have been able to salvage the cover and the disc is totally fine. Is God fucking with me or what? I actually thought I was an atheist but the privatesynthboogieterdfest miracle of May 4th is shaking my deepest beliefs to the core.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    this sort of goes hand in hand with the constant occurence of FINALLY finding a record you've been looking for for a hot hot minute....and then finding another copy within the next two weeks. It never fails.

Yeah, that phenomenon never ceases to amaze me. Another surprisingly frequent one is when I'm reading a magazine or book while music is playing in the background and I'll glance away for a second, hear a distinct word like "indelible" or "sandcastle" in the lyrics, then look down again to find my finger resting on the same word in my book.

• this one is a bit of a coincidence and i may have posted about it here before, but...

back in 1990 i had bought the new LONS single, uh... "case of the pta!" i had also stopped by golden oldies that day and picked up "maiden voyage" by ramsey lewis. i got home and listened to the ramsey lewis joint first and put the needle down on "mighty quin" and just about pooped my self! that drum break came in and i was excited because i hadn't heard anyone use it before and thought i had just come up on some shit! 1990, remember? anyway, then i put on the leaders record to check it out and just about pooped myself again when i heard they not only used the same break, but all the funky parts of that song!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    My girl is forever doing this thing where there's a song playign and as she says somethign, the same word is sung in the song at the same exact moment.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

finally found "soul in the horn" after YEARS a couple weeks ago. sure enough, within literally a 500 foot radius of where i found my first copy, i found my second copy today.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    oooo, I got a good one...

back in like 1990 I got this tape from a friend of one of Mr. Magics shows that someone he knew in New York taped off WBLS, and it had this one song on it that I loooooved. Problem was, I had no idea who it was, and I lived in Santa Fe, NM...not exactly the best place to locate hip hop records. Annnnnd, being that it was 1990 and the internet didn't exist I couldn't exactly look it up by lyrics or anything.

fast forward like a year later (I still have no idea who the artist is) my mom goes out of town and one of her employees is house sitting for her. She gets back and calls me up and says "sweetie, you left one of your records here" I'm like "uhhh no, why would I bring a record over here" so she pulls out this record on Yo! records that I've never seen before and says "this isn't yours?" "nope" so she calls up her employee and asks him if it's his or one of his friends and he said it wasn't. Noone knew where it came from so my mom just told me to take it and if I didn't want it just throw it out. So I take it home and put it on my turntable and ...HOLY SHIT!!! IT'S THAT SONG!!!

It ended up being Droppin It by the Bizzie Boyz.

To this day I have no clue how it ended up at my moms.

• i just remembered.....So it was About 3 1/2 years ago, the Jay-z mya remix was still worth something. It wasn't anything big, like 40 bucks, that was still pretty good for something that came out in 2001 I think?? I was just getting into selling and digging for flipping especially hip hop. Anyways I went to a chain re-sell store here and found the non-remix one thinking damn! Why couldnt it have been the other one?
    Then I got in my car, drove over the river to the other EM started diggin through the 12"s and there is was. it think it was 2 bucks. I was stoked it went like that. Then about 6 months later I went to another out of the way spot and found 4 copies for a buck a piece. Which confirms the finding it after you found it thing yet once again.

Ive been working on the visualization thing a lot lately. I'll let you guys know if it ends up workin out.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I posted this on Waxidermy when it happened but it fits in this thread so here it is:
    I was out at the Coliseum Flea Market this morning. It had been raining earlier on in the morning and the flea was basically dead so I was chopping it up with another record dealer. We were discussing this local modern soul group called Twilight, which had recently sold to Marcofunk for $900+. Flash forward two or three hours. I have left the flea after basically striking out and am checking out a few thrift stores out in the suburbs, working my way back to Oakland along E. 14th Street. Weaksauce private lesbian folk is all I have been able to grip so far. I'm desperate for a vinyl fix, so I'm on the lookout for any hole-in-the-wall thrifts I may have overlooked in the past. I happen to spot one as I'm approaching the Fruitvale area. Park the truck and go in. Turns out they don't carry records at all so I walk out. Immediately after leaving the store I happen to glance down at the sidewalk and sitting right there IS A SEALED COPY OF THE TWILIGHT ALBUM. No other records or anything else anywhere in sight. The record had actually been sitting there in the drizzle but because it was sealed I have been able to salvage the cover and the disc is totally fine. Is God fucking with me or what? I actually thought I was an atheist but the privatesynthboogieterdfest miracle of May 4th is shaking my deepest beliefs to the core.

That is ridiculous dude. Absoulutley absurd WTF status.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    My girl is forever doing this thing where there's a song playign and as she says somethign, the same word is sung in the song at the same exact moment.

It also never fails that if you're listening to rap with someone else and they ask who it is, the MC will chime right in with his name. Not exactly a "coincidence", since MCs are always talking about themselves, but a favorite rule of thumb of mine.