Mos Def on Bill Maher Show(poltical related)

RafaRafa 25 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Don??t know if this been posted before but Mos Def is on that showhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJRetQUTEWA

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Word big up mos on speaking out. So many high profile people could be doing so much more.

• are you serious? i had to turn it off because he was so painful to watch. they listed him as an "activist" and the guy doesn't know sh*t about whats going on in the world. cheers to him for being outspoken, but do some research before you go on a show where the people who watch it actually read the newspaper. Also, considering he's over 30, how about dressing for the occasion?!? Bill Maher might be a comedian but half the show is dedicated to discussing Iraq...where people are dying...and you're sitting there decked out in streetwear?? grow up.

i dont know what that youtube video shows. perhaps its him in a few minutes of coherency, but the twenty or so minutes that i saw of him was

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    how about dressing for the occasion?!? Bill Maher might be a comedian but half the show is dedicated to discussing Iraq...where people are dying...and you're sitting there decked out in streetwear??

This is by far the dumbest shit i've read all year.

• how about dressing for the occasion?!? Bill Maher might be a comedian but half the show is dedicated to discussing Iraq...where people are dying...and you're sitting there decked out in streetwear??

serious. he's a rapper. you think he has to get suited up in order to be authoritative? he's there to represent his perspective- mal-adjusted and quite coherent. looking stodgy to appeal to more traditional and conservative minded people is definitely not his aim.

• how about dressing for the occasion?!? Bill Maher might be a comedian but half the show is dedicated to discussing Iraq...where people are dying...and you're sitting there decked out in streetwear??

serious. he's a rapper. you think he has to get suited up in order to be authoritative? he's there to represent his perspective- mal-adjusted and quite coherent. looking stodgy to appeal to more traditional and conservative minded people is definitely not his aim.

so in what forum would it not be okay to dress like a 15 year old headed to the mall?

a funeral?

but your argument is that he gets a free pass to dress like a kid and sound like an ignoramus...cause he raps? so does cornell west, the guy sitting next to him!! if he wants to be an activist, he should probably learn something about the topics he is preaching on; and if he wants to be taken seriously, sitting next to harvard/princeton professor, how about dressing the part.

if he sounded like he had picked up a newspaper in the past 6 months, i think the streetwear would be okay, its like, by they way, i can also rap! but when you sound like rambling fool, dressing like a kid just adds insult to injury.

you guys are f*cking pathetic btw.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I think his presence there as an "activist" is far more important than anything he specifically said, which I was mostly unimpressed with. I certainly don't feel more informed about anything for having watched it. I do think that by caring about history and world affairs, he is setting a good example for a culture of youth he represents that doesn't have easy access to good information or people who care.

• Bill Maher might be a comedian but half the show is dedicated to discussing Iraq...where people are dying...and you're sitting there decked out in streetwear?? grow up.

You sound mad that you have to dress up for work every day.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think his presence there as an "activist" is far more important than anything he specifically said, which I was mostly unimpressed with. I certainly don't feel more informed about anything for having watched it. I do think that by caring about history and world affairs, he is setting a good example for a culture of youth he represents that doesn't have easy access to good information or people who care.

Please be serious.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Mos needs to lay of the Mary Jane for a second. I remember when that dude could actually form complete sentences. He sounds terrible here, and has been pretty bad live as of late. It's sad, really.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

a funeral?

but your argument is that he gets a free pass to dress like a kid and sound like an ignoramus...cause he raps? so does cornell west, the guy sitting next to him!!
    Cornell West is a rapper as much than Mos Def is an activitst...

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

Please be serious.

Well articulated post voicing your opinion on this matter. I assume you disagree?

• Mos looks like Kool Keith here. Maybe Keith's new persona/charachter is Mos Def?

Mos Def: "People start to realize..um, Yo this is fucked up son"

dude came off about as good as his new music.

• While I appreciate him getting on a TV show and I'm not bothered by his choice of clothing or anything, when he keeps saying "Fuck That . . . shit is wack" it's really hard to take his view on real issues seriously.

Plus his overly affected voice (which he took to new levels in "16 Blocks") can be very irritating.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I didn't see the clip, but I saw the show. And at points mos looked kinda perplexed but I wonder how many people on here could handle themselves in front of a studio audience with people going at you in a debate forum; not as easy as a chat forum. Plus (again I don't know if this is in the clip) he put several subjects in an interesting historical perspective.

But then he went on some conspiracy theory rants that kind of detracted from his points. "I don't think we landed on the moon either!"

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

But then he went on some conspiracy theory rants that kind of detracted from his points. "I don't think we landed on the moon either!"

Interesting stuff...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Princeton professor knows his shit. Mos Def sounds more like a wanna-be conspiracy theorist.

• Bill Maher might be a comedian but half the show is dedicated to discussing Iraq...where people are dying...and you're sitting there decked out in streetwear?? grow up.

Should he have worn a black tux?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    It was good to see Mos on that show... but yes, he was a little off-target. He frequently went into mini-rants.

Cornell West is that dude.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I lost respect for Mos Def after seeing him ramble on and talk about conspiracy theories.

Way to sound uneducated!

I didn't see the clip, but I saw the show. And at points mos looked kinda perplexed but I wonder how many people on here could handle themselves in front of a studio audience with people going at you in a debate forum; not as easy as a chat forum.

Ridiculous argument.

Public figures making public appearances should be critiqued as such.

I didn't see the clip, but I saw the show. And at points mos looked kinda perplexed but I wonder how many people on here could handle themselves in front of a studio audience with people going at you in a debate forum; not as easy as a chat forum.

Ridiculous argument.

He may be a public figure but performing in front of fans and debating on a political talk show are two entirely different things. No one forced him to be on the show, but do you really think he should be held to the same level of scrutiny as a harvard professor? Or some other expert?

He had some issues with being on the spot/tongue tied is what I'm saying. And he had some interesting points that aren't generally discussed. So on that merit I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and would remind people to consider the setting he was in.

Ridiculous argument.

He may be a public figure but performing in front of fans and debating on a political talk show are two entirely different things. No one forced him to be on the show, but do you really think he should be held to the same level of scrutiny as a harvard professor? Or some other expert?

I don't see anyone doing that.

• also, i think you answered your own question by saying "no one forced him to be on the show". its not like mos def was walking down the street and someone kidnapped him and stuck him on the set of a Russian trivia game-show. The dude is a self-proclaimed activist who went on the show to talk about politics (Maher mentioned a movie he is in...but it doesn't come out until 2008, so promotion couldn't have been his objective).

By the way, what were his interesting points?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

The US Gov't planned 9-11

We've never been on the moon

OJ is innocent

Obama is too pretty not to win the presidency

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    also, i think you answered your own question by saying "no one forced him to be on the show". its not like mos def was walking down the street and someone kidnapped him and stuck him on the set of a Russian trivia game-show. The dude is a self-proclaimed activist who went on the show to talk about politics (Maher mentioned a movie he is in...but it doesn't come out until 2008, so promotion couldn't have been his objective).

It interests me that he so easily gets under your skin.

also, i think you answered your own question by saying "no one forced him to be on the show". its not like mos def was walking down the street and someone kidnapped him and stuck him on the set of a Russian trivia game-show. The dude is a self-proclaimed activist who went on the show to talk about politics (Maher mentioned a movie he is in...but it doesn't come out until 2008, so promotion couldn't have been his objective).

Oh shit, I've got the lawyers on me.

Faux, when you said "Public figures in a public forum." You don't differintiate between them. Putting them on the same level. I was saying mos should be regarded differently, and allowed some stammering. Sounds like we agree.

Keith, I'd say him compairing our founding fathers to terrorists is pretty interesting, (if inflamitory).

Any time that this great historical figure is mentioned on American television, it's interesting...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Any time that this great historical figure is mentioned on American television, it's interesting...

why exactly?

why exactly?

Because Toussaint's accomplishments are so entirely ignored, or when not ignored demonized, by the American establishment...that when he's brought up in a positive light, it's like a slap in the face to those who need one and hopefully a cue for those who don't already know about Toussaint to look further into his most courageous story.

Think about it...by the time that the US finally issued its Emancipation Proclamation, Haiti had already been a free black independent nation for over 60 years.

• Cornell West is a good[/b] rapper as much than Mos Def is a good[/b] rapper ...