Willie Tee R.I.P.

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
passed away yesterday...music journalist person I know was calling him to do an interview and his daughter answered and said he was in the hospital, then yesterday she got a call from the daughter that he had passed...Rest in Peace Gatur....Wilson Turbinton

Comments

• I think his brother Earl (also a Gatur) passed away in the last few months. RIP.

• Wow, I just put on his album "I'm Only A Man" Monday night, out of the blue.

R.I.P.

• I think his brother Earl (also a Gatur) passed away in the last few months. RIP.

Yeah, last month..apparently he got sick right after that happened...

• Saw him play at one of the early Ponderosa Stomp shows. I believe the one when he was on stage with Zig, Skip Pitts & Fred Wesley.

Dam.....RIP for sure.

-pj

• You done bought a lot of drinks
    She's as high as she can beeeee
    She'll get a cab
    She'll be coming home to me

DON'T YOU KNOW THAT MY BABY LOVES ME![/b]

You're nothing but a popcorn
    Sucker John
    They call you the Island Man
    'Cause you think you're raising sand
    [/b]

• R.I.P.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    What a sad day. I was still hoping to see him perform some point.

http://blog.nola.com/living/2007/09/wilson_willie_tee_turbinton_de.html
    Funeral services set for Wilson 'Willie Tee' Turbinton
    Posted by amaloney September 11, 2007 11:35PM
    Categories: Music

By Keith Spera
    Music writer

Keyboardist, songwriter and producer Wilson "Willie Tee" Turbinton, an early architect of New Orleans funk and soul, died today of colon cancer. He was 63.

Mr. Turbinton secured his place in New Orleans music legend by producing and co-writing the Wild Magnolias' self-titled 1973 debut. That landmark recording and the subsequent "They Call Us Wild," also produced by Mr. Turbinton, largely introduced the Mardi Gras Indians' distinctive street beats and chants to the world.

"In a city of treasures, he was rich in taste and tradition," said record producer and longtime friend Leo Sacks. "The depth, breadth, scope and command of his piano playing were profound. He helped shape the sound of New Orleans for more than four decades."

Mr. Turbinton's passing follows that of his older brother, modern jazz saxophonist Earl Turbinton, on Aug. 3.

Survivors include his wife, Marilyn Martin Turbinton; a sister, Joyce Turbinton Gill; a daughter, Racquel Turbinton Bruno; and two grandchildren.

A funeral is scheduled for Sept. 22 at Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church. Visitation is from 9 to 11 a.m., with a service to follow.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    this is really sad.
    a true genius especially as an arranger.
    so many new orleans productions
    this man masterminded.
    remember his music.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    RIP to the original musical director of the Wild Magnolias...which was an extremely important moment where Mardi Gras Indian traditions were (more overtly) translated to the funk format. Mr. Turbinton had quite a time of it since Katrina, ever shuffling his schedule and family members across Louisiana and the country at large. He's worked with Adderley/Axelrod and he's taught at Princeton...he's an underrecognized NOLA icon...thanks for the memories, Willie Tee.

• And I had just bought a used copy of the Gaturs CD yesterday, too.

"Teasin' You" has always been a favorite of mine from the moment I heard it on a dusties show as a teenager, with it's odd midtempo beat. (And it was the stereo version, too - sounded GOOD with that extreme, old-time separation!) Loved it enough to finally buy that copy of Beach Beat, Vol. 2 (with the stereo "Teasin' You") that had been sitting there at the used shop for months.

Of course, that one song was just the tip of the iceberg - he naturally had other goodies too, like "Walking Up A One-Way Street" - and it was good to see him work his show last year at the Ponderosa Stomp in Memphis. Rest in peace.

• this is really sad.
    a true genius especially as an arranger.
    so many new orleans productions
    this man masterminded.
    remember his music.

Rest In Peace

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I really want to hear Walking Up A One-Way Street right now.