RUGBY WORLD CUP THREAD (?)

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Does anyone care?

Comments

• Does anyone care?

Not in the US.....I can't find coverage on any service, except maybe Setanta which I'd have to subscribe too. Either that or it's a trip to the Kings Head in Santa Monica **shudder**

• Kinda keeping an eye on it. it's on at pretty odd hours here, so if its on, and im there, I'll watch.
    might get onboard a little more towards semi finals etc.
    it's a pretty big deal to a lot of New Zealanders though...
    (for example, at the local service station, my girl was randomly offered an 'All Blacks' flag to fly from her car)

• VS. has shown a couple games. otherwise, I go to aussietorrents.com

• I've been looking forward to it for ages, then again I'm bit of a rugby tragic
    Not as bad as UK strutter Mark Illmod but - that dude has tied his holidays to tours of the southern hempisphere

The tournament is kind of drawn out, 7 weeks all up. No doubt things will get a bit more exciting once the knockout stages begin.

Hoping to see the All Blacks take it over here

Zidane popped into their training camp for some tips last week

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah, go the All Blacks, I'm not a big rugby follower these days, but I plan on watching a few of the world cup games.

• I am keen and will be watching on local TV here(late night) but i am pretty unsure of how the Wallabies will fare. Will the All Blacks choke again. They are without a doubt the best rugby side in the world but the pressure on them to win the world cup must be enormous. NZ is the only country in the world where rugby is the no.1 sport and a whole nations hopes are riding on their shoulders.

I played AFL growing up but managed to tour the world playing rugby (Malayasia,HK,Singapore,US,Canada,England,Northern Ireland,Scotland) with the Victorian schoolboys, U19 and U21's.
    A mate was a state rep and said they needed people to help with training for their upcoming tour.When I was 17 I was 100kg of mostly muscle and ended up making the team without ever having played a game of rugby in my life (first game was in Hong Kong)Funny thing was I made the team every year even though our school didn't have a rugby team and i played AFL each season.

So rugby was pretty good to me. I got to see the world and drink too much in many different countries.

• I played AFL growing up but managed to tour the world playing rugby (Malayasia,HK,Singapore,US,Canada,England,Northern Ireland,Scotland) with the Victorian schoolboys, U19 and U21's.
    A mate was a state rep and said they needed people to help with training for their upcoming tour.When I was 17 I was 100kg of mostly muscle and ended up making the team without ever having played a game of rugby in my life (first game was in Hong Kong)Funny thing was I made the team every year even though our school didn't have a rugby team and i played AFL each season.

So rugby was pretty good to me. I got to see the world and drink too much in many different countries.

Thats pretty funny - my school in Auckland was a big rugby school and several guys I played with went on to play for the All Blacks. Weighing in at a meagre 75kg I was never going to get far, especially with the large polynesian population - those dudes were naturally bigger, stronger and faster than pakeha's like me

• Thats pretty funny - my school in Auckland was a big rugby school and several guys I played with went on to play for the All Blacks. Weighing in at a meagre 75kg I was never going to get far, especially with the large polynesian population - those dudes were naturally bigger, stronger and faster than pakeha's like me

Yeah the funny thing was when I did contemplate playing club Rugby in Melbourne The only team I wanted to play for was Kiwi-Hawthorn which was full of Maoris and Islanders and a couple of Pakehas and whose supporters would drink kava during the games on Saturday and run on the field and punch oppostion players if a brawl kicked off.

Better to play with them than against them.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Thats pretty funny - my school in Auckland was a big rugby school and several guys I played with went on to play for the All Blacks. Weighing in at a meagre 75kg I was never going to get far, especially with the large polynesian population - those dudes were naturally bigger, stronger and faster than pakeha's like me

Yeah the funny thing was when I did contemplate playing club Rugby in Melbourne The only team I wanted to play for was Kiwi-Hawthorn which was full of Maoris and Islanders and a couple of Pakehas and whose supporters would drink kava during the games on Saturday and run on the field and punch oppostion players if a brawl kicked off.

Better to play with them than against them.

Christ, this brings back memories.

school sanctioned beatings called rugby games where teachers would cheer when some poor little fella got his face stomped in the mud by a much larger kid.

I hated school rugby.

plus being one of the few pakeha boys... well, you can guess who was getting the face stompage.

Funny how time and distance will affect a man though, now ive been away from NZ for over 10 years now i find myself watching much more rugby than i ever did at home.

Although the TV coverage here is basically nothing, and i hate sitting in 'irish' bars with a bunch of lagered up dickheads just to watch a game... so its been youtube to the rescue.

The All Blacks/Italy game was what everyone expected, but we will see how the boys handle a real team soon enough.

One thing i can say for sure: the All Blacks look fighting fit this year.

Go the Kiwis.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The Springbok look pretty strong this year, and the French still stand a chance if they don't choke.

This guy is about as good as it get though.

On the topic of sports, I was thinking of starting a thread about the womens soccer world cup, but I watched England play, and that shit was just terrible, a damn school boy team could win that trophy.

• One thing i can say for sure: the All Blacks look fighting fit this year.

Go the Kiwis.

I may be called a traitor in Australia but the All Blacks deserve to win the World Cup and if The wallabies dont win it (unlikely) I wish the All Blacks take the trophy. I couldn't bear the Sprinboks winning it...

Funny thing is I never really enjoyed playing rugby . As a front row forward (Tight Head) all you do is run around the field and smash and get smashed while the wingers prance around and score the tries and get all the glory.

There must be some torrents kicking around a day or so after each match which would be much better quality than youtube.

• Reading the paper this morning I realised that the Tongan guy with the big afro - Finau Maka - used to be in my team at school, classic.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Reading the paper this morning I realised that the Tongan guy with the big afro - Finau Maka - used to be in my team at school, classic.

that is the best photo ive seen in a long while...

hairtastic.