Bills collectables in dallas - ......

daggzdaggz 10 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
short story:was working in Dallas this past weekend, saw a huge sign that read " Bills collectables - Cassettes, cds and records"... so of course I stopped to check it out... Bill was pretty cool, he had one of his teenager/worker bees show me how the records were arranged. there was 250,000 records in that room, Bill said. so I asked how everything was priced, cause nothing in the spot had prices marked, Bill said, just pick what you want and bring them to me I'll price them.. so I said ok, I'm not too concerned with price, if there is something I want, I'll pay for it... so after 3 hrs of digging through the hellishly organized rap/soul/r&b section... I had a nice little stack of 20-30 records... of which I have listed some....devin - do what you do (12")das efx - rap scholar (12" test press)apachy - gangsta bitch (lp)ahmad - s/t (lp)casual - it aint my fault (12")hi-c - leave my curl alone (12")hi-c - sittin in the park (12")digital underground - packet remixes (ep)digital underground - doowhutchalike (12" x2)eazy e - 5150 (ep sealed)l.o.n.s. - sobb story (12")marly marl - the symphony part II (12" x2)dead presidents - soul cuts from the soundtrack (double lp)maybe 5 more 12" and maybe 5 misc soul/funk lps.. nothing too collectable, just misc lps.so I take the stack to the front of the store and hand them off to Bill, he says it'll take me some time, so I said cool, I'll dig through some posters and misc cds..btw, me and my partner found some dope posters...(erick b and rakim...the liks...nwa...big daddy kane.. and a few other full size movie posters...so after digging thru the posters I go back to see Bill.. he was on the pc, so I patiently waited, ... after 15 mins or so, he got up and came to the registers... yelling back to his workerbee.. start that one off at $7 minimum, for 7 days....I was thinking ohh great, this dude owns a store and is selling everything of ebay.. ohh well lets see what he comes with regarding prices.... dude said the lowest he could go was $350 for the batch, and that was a bargain. I said I'll pass. have a good day....wtf.. $10-12 for these records... I just can't see it... maybe I'm being a tight ass.. but I bounced.. oh well... dude has some records, but for the price and for the service.. this spot blows.... 4 thumbs down!

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    you gotta be a hot piece of beefcake like High-C to score deals in there....Bill prices his records around how much he wants to touch your pee-pee.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    ha!

nah Bill hates me now. After I offered him a measly $20 per record (which is about $19 higher than I offer most vendors when asked what I think soemthing's worth) he accused me of trying take advantage of him. The one time I try to actually pay an adequate amount for records I get banned from his warehouse. This kinda behavior is why most if not all DFW records nerds refuse to set foot in that store.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

so I take the stack to the front of the store and hand them off to Bill, he says it'll take me some time, so I said cool, I'll dig through some posters and misc cds..btw, me and my partner found some dope posters...(erick b and rakim...the liks...nwa...big daddy kane.. and a few other full size movie posters...so after digging thru the posters I go back to see Bill.. he was on the pc, so I patiently waited, ... after 15 mins or so, he got up and came to the registers... yelling back to his workerbee.. start that one off at $7 minimum, for 7 days....I was thinking ohh great, this dude owns a store and is selling everything of ebay.. ohh well lets see what he comes with regarding prices.... dude said the lowest he could go was $350 for the batch, and that was a bargain. I said I'll pass. have a good day....

wtf.. $10-12 for these records... I just can't see it... maybe I'm being a tight ass.. but I bounced.. oh well... dude has some records, but for the price and for the service.. this spot blows.... 4 thumbs down!

not being a tight ass, that shit is ridiculous. I would pay 1-2 bucks a piece for those records in a store like that.

• daggzdaggz 10 Posts
    yeah i figured he has 250,000 (at least that's what he kept saying).. he'd be a little willing to bragin.. but i didn't even try after the intial request of $350.. i'd prob go like 3-5 bucks for some of them records, but dayum, not 10 come on Bill!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

not being a tight ass, that shit is ridiculous. I would pay 1-2 bucks a piece for those records in a store like that.

ya thats some bull doody...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i'm guessing you didn't buy the posters?

• daggzdaggz 10 Posts
    actually did buy the posters.. for $6 a pop, i couldn't pass them up.. minty ol skool posters, gotta love that.

• ha!

nah Bill hates me now. After I offered him a measly $20 per record (which is about $19 higher than I offer most vendors when asked what I think soemthing's worth) he accused me of trying take advantage of him. The one time I try to actually pay an adequate amount for records I get banned from his warehouse. This kinda behavior is why most if not all DFW records nerds refuse to set foot in that store.

at least you got to go to the warehouse......i haven't been to bill's in years, and i doubt i will ever go again.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    We have a spot just like that up here. Owner's proud that he has a trillion records under one roof. Yeah maybe you have a trillion records because they are all common doo doo. And add on that nothings priced and you don't know how to price or bargain. It's like some people are trying to go out of business it seems.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    yeah i figured he has 250,000 (at least that's what he kept saying).. he'd be a little willing to bragin.. but i didn't even try after the intial request of $350.. i'd prob go like 3-5 bucks for some of them records, but dayum, not 10 come on Bill!

You obviously don't really want those digital underground butters.

• daggzdaggz 10 Posts

not that bad i guess, and i was assuming since this was a bulk price, that if i pulled out 3 or 4 they would have jumpped to 15-20 each... and i dont need them that bad... plus my stolen records insurance money is out .. so i'm back to bargin shopping.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

not that bad i guess, and i was assuming since this was a bulk price, that if i pulled out 3 or 4 they would have jumpped to 15-20 each... and i dont need them that bad... plus my stolen records insurance money is out .. so i'm back to bargin shopping.

Ha I was joking... you would have to be high....

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I went to Bill's records several years ago. I only wanted three records. Two records from The Orb, and Mantronix - King of the Beats. The total came out to $85 for the three records. I said no thanks and havn't been back since.

A few years back someone registered www.fuckbillsrecords.com

I think Bill bought it from him eventually then pointed it to his real website. Of course Bill never re-registered the site after it ran out so if you wanted to register it again you could.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    A few years back someone registered www.fuckbillsrecords.com

I think Bill bought it from him eventually then pointed it to his real website.

fucking awesome if true... I love the fact that he had to buy that domain! sounds as if dude deserves it...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I have not set foot in the place in about five years and it's no mistake.

Creepy old bastard, flirt with him and he is known to drop prices to nothing. I can't remember who told me but that in more than one case, when a young shoplifter is caught by bill that "alternatives" to calling the cops are given!!!

• iconicon 86 Posts
    I worked there for a couple of years in the late 80's/early 90's. I'm of the opinion that most of these kinds of stories are highly exaggerated. Has Bill been know to flirt with customers he likes? Yes. I've never witnessed anything beyond that though. He's been robbed to the point of near death before (beat with a baseball bat), and he never showed much ill will towards the person that did it.

As a sidenote, there's supposed to be a full length documentary that's supposed to see the light of day in the near future, directed by Jeff Liles, who was the guy behind Decadent Dub Team (6 Gun from the Colors S/T).

His pricing practices are what lead me and 2 other employees to leave, even back then. I think it leads back to trust issues that he's had with people in the past, and if he feels like he's selling something for less than it's worth (whether the feeling is imaginary or real), he'll just keep it over selling it.

Same pricing structure at Forever Young in Arlington: all 12" are priced on year manufactured and label pressed. If it's an indy label 70's release, $35 whether it's some rare P&P shit or some booty over-stringed disco cheese. Major label 70's 12's will run you $20-$25.