PICK-UP ARTIST

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
may be the most entertaining show on tv right nowwatching the lovable losers develop confidence and mack the ladies, their bonding, mystery's canadianism, j-dog & matador... the show dips into overly theatrical elimination drama and mystery is a tool, but shit's got a hold on me

Comments

• is that the guy from the Stone Temple Pilots? seriously.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The speculation that the contestants are 'actors' has ruined it for me. I deleted it off my DV-R around 3 episodes a go.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    dudes were crying like lttle bitches last times i surfed thru this dreck
    piss on them and then throw all of those geek losers off of a tall ass cliff
    horrendous
    and one more reason why I am getting rid of the cable package

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    As they said on the Soup... Mystery looks like Sky Captian Of Tomorrow. And I think his "wing men" mainly pick up guys.

• I haven't seen that show but these real life "relationship coaches" used to bartend at a couple of bars where I DJ'd:

The last time I talked to the guy on the right, he told me with a straight face that he was "enjoying polyamory."

If you want to live at the "shaolin temple of social mastery, pick up, dating and attraction arts" (i.e. their apartment), it's only $2500 a week.

http://askromeo.com/programs.html

• sounds like "keys to the v.i.p."... i dunno about taking advice from these guys, they look like straight up

• Mystery is doing a lot to bring back the Jamiriquoi hat.

• I aint gonna lie..I stay watching this shit. Cracks me up..my girlfriend thought I was kidding when I left it on after channel surfing one night.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mystery is doing a lot to bring back the Jamiriquoi hat.

So for real.

My friends were raving about this so me and wifey decided to catch an ep. Rather "eh" in terms of as a reality show but the clurb scenes are . So much crashing and burning.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Rather "eh" in terms of as a reality show

no way! this show is much more entertaining than watching chefs or models or silly drunk young folks compete

and...
    And I think his "wing men" mainly pick up guys.

i saw j-dog out two weeks ago. he "number-closed" on a friend's ex.
    their whole pick-up persona is to be flamboyant... see mystery's picture above... so its easy to think of them as a joke or gay. but i'm sure that, with the odds these dudes are playing, their game works in certain scenes, such as saddle ranch or other cheesy bars

• The only part that I'll seriously ride for is the ridiculously awesome vocabulary.

'he's gonna lose the 2 Set if he can't generate any I.O.I.s," and the like. Just so fucking serious. unfuckwitable.

• I'll battle this dude.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    the brown kid went to my high school. strangest kid ive ever met.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I can't wait for Human Giant to parody this.

- spidey

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

no way! this show is much more entertaining than watching chefs or models or silly drunk young folks compete

Most of the structure is ripped off from the Survivor model and that's fine but really, the best scenes - from the episode I saw - took place in the club. Everything else leading up to it was pretty blah, especially the internal dynamics between the contestants. I'm just saying, as far as reality shows go, this is pretty generic in some ways even though I find the premise entertaining.

• Peep game. No seriously peep game (http://www.betterthanyourboyfriend.com/. I put two and two together and realized it was the guy's blog. Dude is crazy. Search his blog and you'll find a crazy story with pictures when he put up a swimming pool in his house when he was trying to get a pet penguin.

While reading his blog, I saw him referencing the book my roommate had mentioned. He was a character in the book, he was Herbal.

Herbal/Tynan was one of the guys in Project Hollywood. He steals a girl from Mystery and all hell breaks loose.

After reading The Game my F-closes rose drastically. It seemed like Jazz One got laid more than Jason. I realized I was doing a lot of things right when I was in gig mode. When I was at the coffee shop or whatever, I was an AFC.

• When it comes to non fiction about the author's curiosity about a weirdo fringe culture, culminating in his infiltration and mastery of said weirdo fringe culture
    >

The similarities between the two are uncanny. As entertaining as the Game is to read, Fatsis pwns it.

• Word Freak is a tremendous book.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I haven't seen that show but these real life "relationship coaches" used to bartend at a couple of bars where I DJ'd:

The last time I talked to the guy on the right, he told me with a straight face that he was "enjoying polyamory."

If you want to live at the "shaolin temple of social mastery, pick up, dating and attraction arts" (i.e. their apartment), it's only $2500 a week.

Are they holding hands? Seriously.

• I haven't seen that show but these real life "relationship coaches" used to bartend at a couple of bars where I DJ'd:

Are they holding hands? Seriously.

To be honest, those dudes DO get lots of girls and that was the case even before they started that askromeo.com thing.

Still, many of my female friends who know them have used the words

"creepy"
    "cheesy"
    "stupid"
    "ridiculous"

when describing them. The guy on the right tried picking up this one (engaged) girl I know, and she made fun of him to his face when she put 2 and 2 together that he was the guy she laughed about on the askromeo.com site. He didn't really take that too well.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

Most of the structure is ripped off from the Survivor model and that's fine but really, the best scenes - from the episode I saw - took place in the club. Everything else leading up to it was pretty blah, especially the internal dynamics between the contestants. I'm just saying, as far as reality shows go, this is pretty generic in some ways even though I find the premise entertaining.

i agreed with you until the last episode.
    when the overweight gentleman proclaimed that, until this experience, the only people he considered friends were the people he played world of warcraft with online while he was living in his parents basement, and now he had created all these bonds, it was... well, suga free said it best

i guess the competition aspect amongst the group is still lacking but it makes up for it in other ways...

• Still, many of my female friends who know them have used the words

"creepy"
    "cheesy"
    "stupid"
    "ridiculous"

when describing them.

Who know them or who know them? 'Cause that would make a world of difference, you know.

• I do agree with ODub on the structure...This show would really have benefitted from NOT kicking dudes off the show. It would have been better to have between 6-8 dudes who are in it till the end.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    may be the most entertaining show on tv right now
    watching the lovable losers develop confidence and mack the ladies, their bonding, mystery's canadianism, j-dog & matador...

the show dips into overly theatrical elimination drama and mystery is a tool, but shit's got a hold on me

major

shit gets better with each ep. I do agree with the above comment though - that's an interesting point. There's something strange about each dude getting kicked off - sort of unnecessary? Guess that's all VH-1 knows though.

No one's fucking with Rock of Love? FREE RODEO! RIP RODEO!