Journalism Seminar (Fine Women-related)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
You wouldn't believe how many fine women I saw in this journalism seminar that I went to this morning. 90% women. Some of them faculty, some students, many FINE as hell. A lot of them are into Public relations and Broadcasting, so I guess it works in their favor to be camera-friendly.Tall black, Standford alum chick gave me her email address as well, and I didn't even ask for it. I'm kinda digging the initial exposure to this field...

Comments

• You are new to the wide world of journalism/mass comm... welcome.

I knew all the males in my grad program by first name. I'd say 95%+ female.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    You are new to the wide world of journalism/mass comm... welcome.

Yea seriously. It's actually sometimes refreshing to talk to dudes on some "watup man, what's good?" steez.

But I'm not mad.

b/w

What did you study in grad school?

Seriously, female overload today. Seminar = females, helping my friend move = females. Probably gonna drink with my new "friend". Trust, this shit NEVER happens. When it rains it pours.

Just a couple nights ago, me and some homies were drinking forty's on the block. I like balance in my life....

• You are new to the wide world of journalism/mass comm... welcome.

Yea seriously. It's actually sometimes refreshing to talk to dudes on some "watup man, what's good?" steez.

But I'm not mad.

b/w

I got my MA in mass communication. The department was interesting because it's such a catch-all. You have your anchormen/women wannabees, english minor journalists, sociologists, psychologists, and everything inbetween. For whatever reason, this appeals way more to women.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Graduate school journalism, however, is not the scene for fine women.

• Ah - I did graduate school in journalism as well. There were definitely lots of attractive, intelligent women in mine. It was probably 60:40 women to men. I dated a couple girls in the program (of 20 people per year) so they must've been alright!

And generally speaking in newsrooms nowadays - lots of attractive women. Real small circles though, even in medium to big cities. Everyone knows everyone and who they are with.

• I work in a newsroom of a major wire agency. Most of the women are 30-50 years old; none of them are that attractive. A few hotties on the sales side, but that's really it. In college, most of the sexy females, like you said, are into public relations or broadcasting. Most, not all, of those women seemed a bit shallow and were overly concerned with their "image."

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Graduate school, especially Ph.D programs in Industrial-Organizational Psychology or Management[/b] are not the scenes for fine women.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'd disagree based on my experience with Berkeley's J-School but who knows? Maybe it's an aberration.

I agree with Big Stacks on other grad programs. Academia attracts mostly weird-as-fuck, socially awkward people.

Present company included.

• Academia attracts mostly weird-as-fuck, socially awkward people.

No fucking doubt.

Why must i cry?

I'd disagree based on my experience with Berkeley's J-School but who knows? Maybe it's an aberration.

I agree with Big Stacks on other grad programs. Academia attracts mostly weird-as-fuck, socially awkward people.

"Academia attracts mostly weird-as-fuck, socially awkward people".

That is hilarious. File me under that as well.

Saying: going into academia, initially, means at least half a decade of your life devoted to some arcane/obscure area of study that only you really care about...meanwhile, you're incurring debt, skating by on TA pay and fellowships (if you can get either), while your college friends are out making real money, buying cars and houses, and starting families. (Obviously, I'm painting with a broad brush here). You have to be a little "off" to think this is a good idea in the short run.

In the long run though? I'm not complaining. At all.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Saying: going into academia, initially, means at least half a decade of your life devoted to some arcane/obscure area of study that only you really care about...meanwhile, you're incurring debt, skating by on TA pay and fellowships (if you can get either), while your college friends are out making real money, buying cars and houses, and starting families. (Obviously, I'm painting with a broad brush here). You have to be a little "off" to think this is a good idea in the short run.

It's simpler than that, O-Dubs: Fine chicks can easily marry up (on average, but there are exceptions like Anna and Neta who are hotties yet already married ), therefore not necessitating a need for graduate study to "get ahead." Just a theory I have, but don't quote me on it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

It's simpler than that, O-Dubs: Fine chicks can easily marry up (on average, but there are exceptions like Anna and Neta who are hotties yet already married ), therefore not necessitating a need for graduate study to "get ahead." Just a theory I have, but don't quote me on it.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Is this where this thread and the polygamy thread intertwine?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Well, I didn't "marry up"- that's for sure....

Real world moves revealed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Anna,

You debunk the theory that only "non-cute" ladies pursue or consider pursuing graduate study. O-Dubs, as far as "weird academic types go," sure I'm weird too but I had to work to keep 'dem chicks offa' me during graduate school. I had to pursue non-graduate school fems or women in the community to get at the "cuties." They sure WEREN'T in my program or were taken.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Ok, how can any SS thread - much less this one - go so long without a single jpeg post. Allow me:

Can I get a "Move to France" graemlin???

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

Anna,

You debunk the theory that only "non-cute" ladies pursue or consider pursuing graduate study. O-Dubs, as far as "weird academic types go," sure I'm weird too but I had to work to keep 'dem chicks offa' me during graduate school. I had to pursue non-graduate school fems or women in the community to get at the "cuties." They sure WEREN'T in my program or were taken.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

oh, go ON

Stacks,

Not everyone in grad school likely shared your privileges.

No need for modesty, Anna. I'm one of those weird academic types that's a "regular dude." Hence, I don't tend to socialize with many academics outside of work-related events. I like regular folks since I came from the trailer park. I haven't forgotten Lot C-10 in Aberdeen, Maryland. I took the long road to get here, and I am truly blessed!!! O-Dub, I was a man of the people which helped me relate to chicks, unlike my socially inept grad school colleagues. They couldn't have imagined the fun adventures I experienced during those times. All they did was study.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Ok, how can any SS thread - much less this one - go so long without a single jpeg post. Allow me:

No need for modesty, Anna. I'm one of those weird academic types that's a "regular dude." Hence, I don't tend to socialize with many academics outside of work-related events. I like regular folks since I came from the trailer park. I haven't forgotten Lot C-10 in Aberdeen, Maryland. I took the long road to get here, and I am truly blessed!!! O-Dub, I was a man of the people which helped me relate to chicks, unlike my socially inept grad school colleagues. They couldn't have imagined the fun adventures I experienced during those times. All they did was study.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks, I've seen both sides of it - believe me, I know plenty of grad students for whom graduate life probably wasn't that different from undergrad save for the amount of debt and reading lists.

But in general, I don't know that many "normal" people in academia but that's not a bad thing.

• Academia attracts mostly weird-as-fuck, socially awkward people.

No fucking doubt.

Why must i cry?

Por qu?? debo llorar?

no suele pasar por mis horas de oficina. Pero eso no es necesariamente verdad, porque, aunque no haya un mont??n de mozas buenas en la escuela graduada, siempre ha sido un mont??n de mozas buenas en los cursos que he ense??ado. y as??, estoy contento.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks, I've seen both sides of it - believe me, I know plenty of grad students for whom graduate life probably wasn't that different from undergrad save for the amount of debt and reading lists.

But in general, I don't know that many "normal" people in academia but that's not a bad thing.

Yes, O-Dub, grad school attracts all types. Myself, before embarking upon doctoral study, I vowed to maintain my identity throughout the process. Largely, I held on to my interests/pursuits outside of school, just struck a balance between study/work and leisure. Weird thing, I finished with a 3.95 GPA from U. of Akron (a rigorous, top-10 school in I-O psychology at the time), but slipped in some fun and frolic along the way. I tell prospective grad students it's all about balance (same with undergrad too). Cats don't have to be a herbs to excel academically. Some of the faculty thought I was a slacker because I didn't come across neurotic and pressed like my classmates

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Ok, how can any SS thread - much less this one - go so long without a single jpeg post. Allow me:

FAIRE ATTENTION!! Fraud wifey!! Say she love me then do chargeback on my heart. Not even email! And say neg feedback of me to girlfriends. F-------

• Well, I didn't "marry up"- that's for sure....

Respectfully disagree/Cas for President.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I work in a news room and it's a man's world here except for FOUR women.

But two of those four are the Editor and Associate Editor.