Bill Cosby Records

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
boogienot himself these daysbadfoot brownthe other bad foot brownand the other one I am missing "Talks to kids about drugs"the rest aren't so hothis comedy stuff was okI liked him on the eye spy tv showand giving life to Fat Albert also deserves respectsay what you will, but dude has provided some greasy ass music to the major label American funk lexiconalbeit a bit "straight laced"discuss

Comments

• don't forget Hooray For The Salvation Army Band... some decent tracks on that LP as well.

• i remember listening to a few of his comedy tapes/records as a kid and being entertained by all his stories about his childhood. He seems corny now, but Cosby is a funny dude, although perhaps more of a physical comedian than a punchline/witty one. I probably watched "Bill Cosby- Himself" a couple dozen times in the 80s.

"I have 5 children...onetwothreefourfive..."

• Errrrr ummmmmmm....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    First Cosins is pretty damn good for a jazz-funk LP (a genre I've not yet written off ) although I'm really not sure if Cos himself does anything on it...

I used to like Disco Bill and the Partee label one but its been so long I can't say for sure whether or not they're actually good or not...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Maybe I'm missing out on something, but all
    the "good" Bill Cosby music records I've heard
    just sound like a funk track with Bill Cosby
    making annoying sounds over them ... and that
    includes "Hicky Burr" ... his singing is painful.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    his singing is painfully hilarious[/b].

What about Salvation Army Band? That one's ok.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I like the one where he "sings" soul/R&B stuff, I think it's called 'Silver Throat'.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The Cosby/Quincy "Original Jam Sessions 1969" is pretty good. Includes Jimmy Smith, Milt Jackson, Les McCann, Monty Alexander, Ray Brown, Joe Sample, and Tom Scott. I have the feeling that Cosby did precious little other than assembling musicians together to play "his" music.

And don't forget the few moments on the J.J. Johnson/Cosby OST (Was that it? I'm not gonna track it down on my shelves).

And don't forget the few moments on the J.J. Jackson/Cosby OST (Was that it? I'm not gonna track it down on my shelves).

"Man and Boy" - but I don't remember any of the
    good stuff on there involving Cosby's voice.
    Was he even involved with the soundtrack?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

And don't forget the few moments on the J.J. Johnson/Cosby OST (Was that it? I'm not gonna track it down on my shelves).

I have the feeling that Cosby did precious little other than assembling musicians together to play "his" music.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

And don't forget the few moments on the J.J. Jackson/Cosby OST (Was that it? I'm not gonna track it down on my shelves).

He was on the cover. I think it was a Bill Withers and Stu what's his name affair. Bill mighta said put some more groove in that.

I have the feeling that Cosby did precious little other than assembling musicians together to play "his" music.

Right, but "don't forget Man & Boy" implies that you are
    saying it is a good Bill Cosby LP, and I'm pretty sure he
    was just the star of the movie, and isn't on the soundtrack.

Even if you are saying he "assembled the musicians" for the OST,
    I don't see how that makes it a Bill Cosby LP.

I wish obscure_addict were here. He's a Bill Cosby LP expert!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    all the "good" Bill Cosby music records I've heard just sound like a funk track with Bill Cosby making annoying sounds over them

Have you heard the UNI Badfoot Brown record? I still really like that one.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Right, but "don't forget Man & Boy" implies that you are
    saying it is a good Bill Cosby LP, and I'm pretty sure he
    was just the star of the movie, and isn't on the soundtrack.

Even if you are saying he "assembled the musicians" for the OST,
    I don't see how that makes it a Bill Cosby LP.

I wish obscure_addict were here. He's a Bill Cosby LP expert!

The movie Man and Boy starred Bill Cosby, but as far as I can remember he wasn't involved in the music. That was arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones and J.J. Johnson and Bill Withers just did one song.

• don't forget Hooray For The Salvation Army Band... some decent tracks on that LP as well.

Funky North Philadelphia is a great track, funky as hell, singing and all. Charles Wright & 103rd Street Rhythm Band on backup duties I believe.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I Luv Myself Better Than I Luv Myself
    been a while since i listened to it but i thought it was ok

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I actually have used this record a lot a few years ago at my old happy hour gig.

I would put on a instrumental and scratch in the part where he says"Grwaaaaaaamquackaaa". It's a track about kindergartners..

There's my for the evening.

Au revoir!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Just found last month: "Merry Christmas, Mama," his little-known mid-'70s single on Capitol.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    "The Dudes in My Head..." classic.