classic movies that defined your young life

124»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit (this was my intro to 40s-50s noir crime thrillers in a bizarre way)
    A League Of Their Own (I like Geena Davis)
    Condorman (Gave me a taste for weirdo Euro movie self-parody)
    Uncle Buck (Introduction to John Candy)
    The Adams Family and sequel (Probably one of the best, if not the best, movies of that "old TV shows resurrected into a modern world" thing which was so popular in the 90s)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies (my brother were way into them as kids)

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

Back to the Future

The Blues Brothers

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    The Good the Bad and the UGly
    Another case of an essential soundtrack. Risto and Chan never sent me their ill westerns that may rival this masterpiece. Blondie, Tuco and Angel Eyes: unfukwitable.

Tony, PM me your address and I'll send you this:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Definitely The Blues Brothers. As a kid, I was already a fan of blues (thanx to my dad) and was an even bigger fan of Belushi and Akroyd (thanx to SNL). I got all of that together in this flick. It's partially because of this movie that I associate Chicago-style blues with summer, since it came out in the month of June.

And my, my, Carrie Fisher was looking all sorts of fine in that tunnel scene...

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

REVENGE OF THE NINJA - I fell right into the 80's Ninja craze. I could fuck w/ the regular overhyped Bruce Lee type joints, but Golem-Globus started to crank out the Ninja flicks I was open. I was already reading KungFu & Karate magazine just too get any info on Ninjas, and these flicks were right in line w/ the new fascination w/ Ninjas that many cats had at the time.

hahaha. damn brings back memories.

my brother and i used to be all about sho kosugi flicks.

a couple other that hit big time:

beat street

breakin'

thrashin'

ghostbusters

flight of the navigator

blues brothers

eddie murphy 'Raw'

Big

also all of Bruse Lee's movies

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    La Bamba[/b]

Oye, Herm!

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Pee-wee's Big Adventure
    Caravan of Courage
    The Princess Bride
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Foul Play

• Options

started my love for taking shit apart

and

started my obsession with the arcade

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I haven't read through this whole thread, but I will.

For me, 'Young Frankenstein' sums up my childhood movie experience pretty well. I remember it like it was yesterday. Everything about the night, from looking at comics and monster mags at the bookstore next door to walking out dazed after laughing my face off at the movie. I loved monster movies as a kid, and my dad was a big Mel Brooks fan, so the whole package was just there.

Now, of course, I appreciate 'Young Frankenstein' on the levels it was meant to be appreciated on, but at the time, I didn't know all the stuff that was flying over my head, I thought it was just funny as hell and magical.

I saw it here:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Watership Down!! The only movie i STILL haven't been able to re-watch as an adult!!

Definitely. I think I must have blocked this one out.
    I bought the VHS as an adult and could not get through it either. We saw it as a class in elementary school (like Jacob Two-Two. Class trips to movies - yea!).

It's so brutal and dark...and it's a children's film!

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Glad there is someone who feels the same about it Bassie!!
    I 1st saw it with a friend who's father owned a local cinema when i was about 7 and then a couple weks later another friend took me to see it as a surprise and i had to sit through it a second time with my hands blocking my ears and eyes shut tight!! Oh the humanity!!hehe!!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Also:

Bye Bye Birdie
    Christmas Story
    Better Off Dead
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Goonies