HOW DID I GET THE NAME DJ SHEEP? - ANSWER INSIDE

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
OK. I'm getting sick of people asking this question, it kinda died down back in Australia, I think I personally ended up telling everyone in the whole country the story, but being in the UK it's become a common question, so I'm going to post this up, hoping that all those who want to know will read this...Rewind to 1996. I bought out DJ Q-Bert on an Australian tour, it was a very exciting time, as is was pre-the-term-turntablism, pre-turntable tv, pre-ITF, and just prior to him blowing the fuck up to massive proportions. For those who don't know, Q-Bert is the singular most influential scratch DJ on the planet for at least the past decade.So, we decided at the shows, that we would pick someone who had somewhat of an iconic status in the city, and wish them "happy birthday", just to fuck with them and for a laugh... we did that in Sydney and homeboy ended up getting a lot of birthday wishes and free drinks regardless of the fact that it wasn't his birthday. Clownin'!Fast forward to the final show of the tour in Brisbane, we're en-route to the hotel in the van and Q-Bert asks, "what's New Zealand like?", I said "it's ok, but sheep outnumber humans, so to get some ass, everyone out there just wears velcro gloves"... that's a really old and bad Australian joke, everyone was laughing, including Alex Aquino (Q-Berts ex-manager). Q-Bert wasn't laughing, he just didn't get it... a hour later, I guess he got the joke, as he was running around my hotel room pretending to shag a Sheep and yelling "DJ Sheep, worlds greatest DJ" or something....So, that night at the show, instead of picking someone to give some birthday love to, we wished happy birthday to DJ Sheep... we actually made the crowd sing happy birthday to DJ Sheep (i have a video of that somewhere). Later that week, a free-press magazine reviewed the show and the parting comment of the review was "Who the fuck is DJ Sheep??"... so the joke kinda got a little funnier, because Brisbane is such a small place and people were asking me in the street who "DJ Sheep" was, I just said he's a friend and really insane scratch DJ... so I just kept the joke going on for ages, even making a website for "dj sheep", having an online radio show and series of mixtapes called "velcro gloves" as well as getting people to shout him out on websites and mixtapes and hip-hop albums at the time...When I had my website, turntablism.com, I used to always refer to DJ Sheep as a 3rd person (similar to this post). He would always go travelling with me. One time in Germany, I was chillin' with DJ Damage and someone recognized me from the website, he said "you're Bevan Jee", I'm like "yeah", and the next thing he said was "Where's DJ Sheep?"... Man, I couldn't contain my laughter, I said "he was at the hotel sleeping". Now it was all fine and dandy, and rather funny, only a handful of people knew the true identity, that was until journalist Miguel D'Souza reviewed one of my mixtapes in the Sydney Morning Herald and started the review - "Bevan Jee aka Brisbane's DJ Sheep"... game was over, people in Australia knew the score, and I had people come up to the turntables when I was DJing to make Sheep baaaaahhhh'ing noises... I tried to keep the joke going on and keep my original DJ name (Bev-G), but at that point it was impossible. Joke was over, had a good run. I ended up having to run with that name. I ain't mad at it, it's a cool name, aside from the fact everyone was buying me gifts like blankets, stickers, keychains, mugs etc. with Sheep on them...So there it is, boring right?

Comments

• nope. that was dope

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    nope. that was dope

Yeah, most people don't have stories half that good for their names.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    nope. that was hella dope

• this story is too long for me to read.

someone plaese to summarize humorously and yet accurately.

thanks.

• hahaha. dick.

sheep's house of fabrications crumbled around him and became a tomb he would never escape.

• sheep's house of fabrications crumbled around him and became a tomb he would never escape.

that's what I thought. thanks.

• interesting. I thought about starting a post about "how did you get yyour DJ name" but figured it would get the .

any other stories? it seems that most I know started out as a nickname or joke/inside joke and just stuck.

anyone? bueller?

• your life is way better then mine.

I got the name on here because i accidentally copy and pasted it and hit submit without knowing it.

sheep is better then your old name though.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I got the name on here because i accidentally copy and pasted it and hit submit without knowing it.

For real Bev-G sounds like a great 40 something female Northern Soul DJ.

it seems that most I know started out as a nickname or joke/inside joke and just stuck.

true.

• whats the deal with sportcasual?
    always thought that was fly

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Alright then When I was a youth about 12-13 I was known around my (small suburban) town for my sportswear. And I mean that semi-seriously, I would get stopped on the street by all sorts of older crews asking me where I got my fresh gear. The problem was at least 30% of them wanted to rob it from me and also I couldn't tell them where because I got most of it when I visited my gran in Germany, either from her (she played tennis) or from the local stores there which were very cheap for the sort of stuff that kids in England couldn't get. At one point I was called the Kappa Kid. So I rocked Lacoste jogging suits with Burberrys trenches and Adidas tennis shoes. Or Kappa tops with herring bone slacks. This was 84-87 or so. I was bad.

Roll ahead to the mid 90s, some people I knew at college had a joke "Sports Casual" party where they dressed up like Frank from Eastenders

and thought they were being hilarious. I just threw together an ensemble from my existing wardrobe and fitted in no problems. Then a couple of years later one of them made a record http://www.discogs.com/release/27703 using the term in a manner I perceived as somewhat derogatory. It made me more proud of who I was and I decided I would dress this way for the rest of my life. Sports Casual - not just a style, but a philosophy.

Then for a DJ name, I decided it would be more Hip Hop to lose the last s on Sports because I had an old tape with someone called Cool Sport D on it from 86 or whenever.

The rest is history waiting to happen.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    My relatives in England have told me all about the Casual scene back in the 80's, it's the only thing they can relate my sneaker collection to. Have you read this? Not bad for what it is...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    My relatives in England have told me all about the Casual scene back in the 80's, it's the only thing they can relate my sneaker collection to. Have you read this? Not bad for what it is...

Haven't read it, but I spent a good deal of my formative years taking beats from these types. It was such a relief when summer rolled around and the foreign exchange students came to town

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Keep calling me because I WILL answer sooner or later, it's just been bad timing!