Is disco back in?

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Mrs. Sabadabada and I were at Coney Island last Saturday night and there was a big party going on on the boardwalk that was playing all-disco-all-the-time. Is this now acceptable? Do I need to brush up on my Hustle?personally i have to admit that because it sure is more fun to dance to.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Were there 25 year old Guido's or 50 year old Guidos at this party??

That should indicate whether it's back in style or some throwback reunion shit.

• I dont know when the last time you were at Coney Isaland after dark, but zero guidos - mostly kids from the PJs (many in semi 8o's throwback attire, tight dark jeans and gazelle glasses), lots of different carribean folks, and the usual Coney Isalnd types all totalling maybe 350 - 500 people.

and the usual Coney Isalnd types.

• dick zigun was not there. but, yes to snakes and assorted other freaks.

• but this is a serious musicological question here, that could have far reaching implications - even going so far as to effect the rarefied world of soulstrut!!

if these were just a bunch of guidos reliving the old days before going back to staten island, i would write it off as mere guido nostalgia, but i sensed it was something else. There seemed to be something in the air ... not just fried oysters, corn dogs and vomit .... but change.

• check no. 13 for answers (01:23)

Amazing...

We need more videos like this to help dispell the American stereotype that all the guys in the UK are poofy girly men.

Keb Darge indeed.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    disco never died

disco never died

You obviously didn't watch the video.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    disco never died

Believe in the power of disco

• In LA disco is totally on its way back.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    chicago ppl should listen to 100.3 love fm saturday nights

sometimes wgci and even power 92 play disco, if you have the right dj

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    actually our reggaeton station - 103.1 maybe? i forget - on weekends they've got a dude who spins house/disco/electro

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    In LA disco is totally on its way back.

I got only positive reactions when playing disco. i play a lot of reedits, salsoul stuff as well as more underground disco and people love it.
    disco is the perfect dancemusic. period.

• If the DJs were 30-40something black dudes, it's these guys that have been doing boardwalk parties there for a while. I have seen them 2 or 3 times at Coney Island and got their card one time and they have been doing parties around NYC for like, 20 years or something.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    gazelle glasses

uuummm......do you mean Cazal glasses?

And yea - disco never went anywhere....there's just a lot of son DJs out there who don't know how/what to play - too busy getting remixes from hipster blogs playing those out (*any DJ in Los Angeles for the most part). Nothing.........NOTHING........gets people open like an ill disco set.........at least in my experience......like I said before - Loose Joints is probably like 200 for 200 in the setting shit off olympics.

• gazelle glasses

uuummm......do you mean Cazal glasses?

yes.

• i stay playing disco.always.

• I'm going to open a can of worms, fuck it.

From hip-hop to deep house Djs, no one ever stopped playing disco. I learned to love "real" Disco in the early 90s at Timmy Regisford's Shelter Party. Little Louie Vega and Kenny Dope parties too. All the real Deep House DJs came up from it, and never stopped playing it. Hip Hop DJs like Red Alert for instance never stopped dropping disco into sets either. Peep old school at noon! The roller skating parties in central park never stopped playing it. Danny Krivit never stopped playing it. Francois K never stopped playing it. From The Garage, to The Shelter, to House Nation, to the Sound Factory Bar, (even at Chill Factor!) and up and beyond to Body & Soul, it never went anywhere. It just stopped making the commercial shit that was eventually attacked by the whole "Fuck Disco" movement spearheaded by racist white rock & roll a&r men and radio DJs, whom were scared of black people and homosexuals taking over the airwaves. Due to backlash, Disco was dropped by the majors, and it went back to it's real underground club roots, and evolved into either Hip-Hop, Garage and Club (Boogie), and eventually House music and Techno. Among all the people that I know in NYC, from DJs to dancers, as well as in places like Chicago and Detroit, Disco has remained a major force through all the years of white hipster kids thinking it's been "dead".

Now I did notice Disco has become more collectable over the last few years amongst DJs and record collectors, that weren't previously into it. Seems like some people have naturally grown into it from the Soul and Funk they loved, then getting into Modern Soul and dancers, and then into Disco. Maybe just a trend? Then there are also the kids in the rock scene that got into Rapture and bands with those type of 4/4 dancey sounds, who then got into the glam of Electroclash, and eventually Italo and "Leftfield" Disco. Also the Techno kids got heavily into Italo and the more Electro-clashy (not talking about real UR type shit here) sounds over the years. Seems like all the hipsters are digging it now. Even newer heads that were into Deep House eventually felt the sound of Deep House has gotten monotonous (maybe strayed too far from it's roots?), and many new Deep House DJs started digging deeper into the disco crates to add some more flare to their boring sets.

While I don't think this is what you were referring to in your thread, I have noticed that because of the white hipsters catching on to Disco, you have more people using "Disco" as a buzzword on flyers (although they aren't really playing much disco at all), in their interviews ("Oh I just love the Bee Gees! It influenced our new album!"), and ironic "disco rules" t-shirts being accessorised by whitebelts at the glam and rock clubs, and the end result is that you now get people saying things like "disco is back", when primarily black and latino dancers and DJs have never stopped championing it. Those smaller disco parties have been going on since the early days of disco, and they won't stop anytime soon.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    the setting shit off olympics.

That phrase is just awesome.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I'm going to open a can of worms, fuck it.

From hip-hop to deep house Djs, no one ever stopped playing disco. I learned to love "real" Disco in the early 90s at Timmy Regisford's Shelter Party. Little Louie Vega and Kenny Dope parties too. All the real Deep House DJs came up from it, and never stopped playing it. Hip Hop DJs like Red Alert for instance never stopped dropping disco into sets either. Peep old school at noon! The roller skating parties in central park never stopped playing it. Danny Krivit never stopped playing it. Francois K never stopped playing it. From The Garage, to The Shelter, to House Nation, to the Sound Factory Bar, (even at Chill Factor!) and up and beyond to Body & Soul, it never went anywhere. It just stopped making the commercial shit that was eventually attacked by the whole "Fuck Disco" movement spearheaded by racist white rock & roll a&r men and radio DJs, whom were scared of black people and homosexuals taking over the airwaves. Due to backlash, Disco was dropped by the majors, and it went back to it's real underground club roots, and evolved into either Hip-Hop, Garage and Club (Boogie), and eventually House music and Techno. Among all the people that I know in NYC, from DJs to dancers, as well as in places like Chicago and Detroit, Disco has remained a major force through all the years of white hipster kids thinking it's been "dead".

Now I did notice Disco has become more collectable over the last few years amongst DJs and record collectors, that weren't previously into it. Seems like some people have naturally grown into it from the Soul and Funk they loved, then getting into Modern Soul and dancers, and then into Disco. Maybe just a trend? Then there are also the kids in the rock scene that got into Rapture and bands with those type of 4/4 dancey sounds, who then got into the glam of Electroclash, and eventually Italo and "Leftfield" Disco. Also the Techno kids got heavily into Italo and the more Electro-clashy (not talking about real UR type shit here) sounds over the years. Seems like all the hipsters are digging it now. Even newer heads that were into Deep House eventually felt the sound of Deep House has gotten monotonous (maybe strayed too far from it's roots?), and many new Deep House DJs started digging deeper into the disco crates to add some more flare to their boring sets.

While I don't think this is what you were referring to in your thread, I have noticed that because of the white hipsters catching on to Disco, you have more people using "Disco" as a buzzword on flyers (although they aren't really playing much disco at all), in their interviews ("Oh I just love the Bee Gees! It influenced our new album!"), and ironic "disco rules" t-shirts being accessorised by whitebelts at the glam and rock clubs, and the end result is that you now get people saying things like "disco is back", when primarily black and latino dancers and DJs have never stopped championing it. Those smaller disco parties have been going on since the early days of disco, and they won't stop anytime soon.

this is totally on point from a chicago perspective

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It just stopped making the commercial shit that was eventually attacked by the whole "Fuck Disco" movement spearheaded by racist white rock & roll a&r men and radio DJs, whom were scared of black people and homosexuals taking over the airwaves. Due to backlash, Disco was dropped by the majors

I'm more inclined to think the complete commercialization
    and cultural saturation of disco caused the burnout among
    popular consumers. There was awful, fake disco everywhere.
    Everyone had done a "disco" album. The carcass was left
    rotting in the sun, like so many genres before it. I'm not
    denying that there was a certain racist/homophobic effort
    against the music, but I'm also not buying that it was the
    catalyst in the dropping of disco by the majors. If it was
    still selling, they wouldn't have dropped anything.

• It just stopped making the commercial shit that was eventually attacked by the whole "Fuck Disco" movement spearheaded by racist white rock & roll a&r men and radio DJs, whom were scared of black people and homosexuals taking over the airwaves. Due to backlash, Disco was dropped by the majors

I may not have expressed myself clearly, but when I used the terms "commercial shit" and "backlash" it was meant to coney those other factors, such as people generally getting sick of the crap that was being pumped onto the airwaves.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It just stopped making the commercial shit that was eventually attacked by the whole "Fuck Disco" movement spearheaded by racist white rock & roll a&r men and radio DJs, whom were scared of black people and homosexuals taking over the airwaves. Due to backlash, Disco was dropped by the majors

I may not have expressed myself clearly, but when I used the terms "commercial shit" and "backlash" it was meant to coney those other factors, such as people generally getting sick of the crap that was being pumped onto the airwaves.

• See. I just dont get out enough. I'm coming at it from the perspective of my collecting Brazilian records. It was just a natural progression, first bossa nova, then late 60's soul and MPB, then 70's and now I find some disco stuff like Tony Bizarro and Lincoln Olvetti, that I really like. And, Im saying why did people hate disco so much? Then when I went to Coney Island and saw this big disco party with people dancing the real dancing, like it was obviously a scene, like the skating parties in central park, it corresponded with my own interest.

• disco never died

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    disco never died