Toronto -- What Else Happening During TIFF?

onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I'll be in Toronto for the entirety of the film festival.Most of my time will be spent watching movies, waiting in line for movies, and eating veggie dogs. But what else is going on? Music? Art openings? etc...?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Maybe we can try to have another Toronto SStrut dinner? - with the onetet Baltimore connection, of course.

Downtown this time?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    WHAT??? BASSIE IS TAKING EVERYONE OUT TO DINNER??? WICKKEDDD...

Yeah, dinner downtown would be nice.

I don't wanna hear Aser tell me there's no good eats downtown!!!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Does downtown mean Yonge St. area, or just more broadly "not uptown"?

Uptown is fine, because it's still accessible by Toronto transit. Last time, these guys went all the way up into Markham, which is to the North and very much off the subway line - it takes over an hour to get to it.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Uptown is fine, because it's still accessible by Toronto transit. Last time, these guys went all the way up into Markham, which is to the North and very much off the subway line - it takes over an hour to get to it.

I will come to a dinner but definitely NOT in Markham.... that shit is practically another province! (for those who have no car)

Little India at Queen and University is a great place and has plenty for vegetarians.

DOR and I love El Bodegan at College and Euclid, but it's a pretty meaty/seafoody menu.

Musa at Dundas and Euclid is pretty good.

Terroni...

Aser? Where is Aser?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Keeping it downtown is fine w/ me, I"ll be down there anyway for movies. If you guys want to do Sunday or Monday night, then there'll be two other out of town "innnernet strutter nerds" in attendance.

problem w/ teroni is that they "DO NOT" take reservations, so w/ a larger group during dinner time, it's hell. The other locations aren't as bad, but the Queen W one is.

We can do Indian, ethnic is probalby the look since it's friendly for sharing. Trimurti is also not bad, close to Little India. El Bodegon is a ok with me too. Overall, it's best to let the visitors try something they can't get back home.

What area will you be staying in ontet?

How about Sunday, Monday or Thursday at 6.30 or 7? - depending on work and movie schedules.

We can try Terroni at Yonge and St.Clair - it's a little less busy and watching 70lb women with purses that cost more than three months' rent is fascinating.
    When does the new location open?

onetet is staying at College and Euclid - right by El Bodegon.

Maybe the guests to Toronto want to pick where/what to eat?

I dun care where we eat. Times are tough for me tho. I work Mon to Thursdays til 10:30PM. But fri. sat, sun count me in.

• If you're thinking Terroni at Yonge and St Clair it's better to spend a little more and go to Cava, which will offer substantially better value (and food).

Like DOR, I'm pretty easy-going where we go as long as there is something on the menu for everyone and it doesn't cost $$$ so I can't buy records that week.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my vote goes to el bodegon on Sunday at 7pm, the two strutters will be in attendance.

I know Aser and myself and a few others will be at El Bodegon at 7PM tonight.

Map Here

I can't make it to this, but hope you guys have a good time. I'm around through next weekend, hope to meet some of you before I leave town.

Dinner and gelato with guests to the city Day and D***, and residents catalist, Aser and DOR, was delicious and fun. All other Toronto folks from the board were missed as well as onetet who is probably surviving on popcorn all week.

We will have to do it again - with more nerds in attendance!

I believe pictures of food will follow shortly.

Dinner and gelato with guests to the city DayDJ Buy It Now and D***, and residents catalist, Aser and DOR, was delicious and fun. All other Toronto folks from the board were missed as well as onetet who is probably surviving on popcorn all week.

We will have to do it again - with more nerds in attendance!

I believe pictures of food will follow shortly.

Yeah, shit was nice... The Americans were pretty quiet tho. I was waiting for Day to pull down an instrument off the wall and rock something funky and D*** to leave the joint with the waitress on his arm.

Thanks for a great meal.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Yes a good time by all!! hey i'm american, was i too quiet?

we ended up staying out late and I am pretty sure Day and Aser are fairly faded right now

Glad you guys had a good time.

No popcorn so far this stay... but a few too many veggie dogs.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    w000000t I had a good time last night. I swear that Peruvian restaurant put drugs in the food. I was ready to fall asleep after dinner for real.
    Had the crazy Dim Sum lunch today and copped some bootleg DVDs from Pacific Mall (real AZN headz know the deal).
    We hit up the film festival tonight and now I'm posting up from Aser's living room drinking scotch with the one Wescoasia.
    Hope to see you all tomorrow night at The Drake.

• The pescado with carmelized onions and peppers at el bogadon was the bump. Glad you guys chose that spot. Good seeing y'all.

• Damn, sorry I missed out on this. Aser was telling me about this at my place on Friday night, but I just got caught up on Sunday night with some other stuff. I will definitely have to make it out for the next time (Hopefully soon?).

Where are the food pics???

Hope to see you all tomorrow night at The Drake.

I'm sorry I missed it - I have the office cold and was not suited for crowds or fun.

I am very happy to have met you both in person and at least had the chance to break bread with you.

I think that salsa is exactly what I need right now for this damn cold.

My friend and I went to the Smog/Bill Callahan show tonight (more his thing than mine; I was really bummed that we missed Sir Richard Bishop), and it seemed like the entire hipster community in Toronto has a cold. Everybody was wheezing and sniffling and snooting.

Hope you feel better!

A little slow on this, but great pleasure to finally meet onetet and friend in person and eat Ali's, share drinks and burn, listen to records and watch my cat drink beer.

See you next year!

Yeah, the festival was great and hanging with you, your friend, and your lush of a pet [pics likely forthcoming] was a great way to top it off. I'm already looking forward to next year.