Johnny Guitar Watson Appreciation

JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I mean come on.I'm listening to "I Don't Want to be a Lone Ranger" right now.god damn.here's another one that I'm sure everyone knows.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    One of my favorite artists! SO many dope joints. Plaese to use these links to watch CLASSIC JGW live videos........ The dragnet into to "Ganster Of Love" is

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yKtWMqW4ICM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jk31242CnkU

• I definitely appreciate Johnny Guitar Watson.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

i was just playing "virgnia's pretty funky" today.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    also:
    unfuckwittable cover art!!

• I love Johnny Guitar Watson, but I aint really into the 70s stuff so much...for me it is all about his 50s and 60s stuff for labels like RPM and King..."Space Guitar", "Three Hours Past Midnight", "Posin'" and the like...those are my Johnny Jams.

• I can't lie. Johnny "Guitar" Watson is one of those cats where I Truly Celebrate The Entire Catalogue. The 1950's jump-blues sides, the soulish 1960's recordings, his 1970's funk records, all of it. There have been a few turds in his discography (like his final album, Bow Wow), but in general he's as consistent as an old comfortable T-shirt that you never grow out of.

Classic slept-on JGW: "Strike On Computers," a 1985 (I think?) single on Valley Vue where he blames the fact that (paraphrasing) "you ain't heard ol' Guitar in a while" to the technological revolution! Haven't yet heard the entire album (I've seen it turn up enough times in used bins), but the single I have is as addictive as crack. Real slick how he adapted the hookline from Carl Carlton's "She's A Bad Mama Jamma"!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I love JGW

His scatting makes me laugh.

woooooo wooooooo woooooooooooo

• This album kills.

• This album needs to be reissued if it hasn't been already[/b].

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

This album needs to be reissued if it hasn't been already[/b].

It hasn't been reissued but you're right on that account. I saw one hanging on the wall of a local record shop a few months back and contacted Drewnice about advise as to whether to pick it up or not, turned out he had just bought a copy too. We both had an online cafe au lait moment after getting our respective copies.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    here's a real nice sped up & extended (j-rocc) intro section of "proud of you" (off "what the hell is this?")
    I think it sounds even better this way.

• Tarzan

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Sorry I'm late to the thread.

Ahhem Ahhem

HOUSTON REPRESENT!