new african music

adlibadlib 27 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Hi Mandrew, I receive your mail, and I think everybody have to know what you search. Your question was "can you recommend some good african artists that are making music nowadays?"maybe, any folks here could take suggestion of this list :Seun Kuti:myspace.com/seunkutiRhythm Funk Masters:myspace.com/rhythmfunkmastersKologbo and Afrobeat Academy:myspace.com/afrobeatacademybandChicago Afrobeat Project:myspace.com/chicagoafrobeatprojectKutiman:myspace.com/Kutiman (dustygroove)Fanga:myspace.com/afrofanga (dustygroove)Kokolo Afrobeat Orchestra:myspace.com/kokoloafrobeat (dustygroove)The Soul Jazz Orchestra:myspace.com/souljazzorchestra (dustygroove)Franck Biyong & Massak:myspace.com/franckbiyongandmassak (dustygroove)Segun Damisa & the Afrobeat Crusaders:myspace.com/segundamisaamptheafrobeatcrusaders

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Lots of great new African music now. I really like the blind brother and sister duo. Can't remember their name or where they are from.

I've been rocking the 1st Afrocando CD non-stop for a few weeks now. It's from about '91. Senegalise singers and Cuban musicians recorded in NYC.

• Amadou & Miriam?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Amadou & Miriam?

Mali

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    awesome, thanks adlib, checking out the links now

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thats afrIcando

Great salsa

I would check out Jeune Farka Tour?? son of the legend (RIP)

also if Femi Kuti is touring near your city drop everything and run

AfroFunk band PapaGroove is murdering MTL right now

and finally Orchestra Baobab have good new albums and a wonderful documentary on them

• Kutiman is actually from Tel Aviv. Check The Fader

Also check this great mix (feat. Kutiman) of new Tel Aviv sounds on Diplo's Mad Decent radio show. It's not very african though...

• adlibadlib 27 Posts
    check this post about Kutiman on earfuzz