Is it severely frowned upon to use programs like..

AsKo25AsKo25 32 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Virtual Dj when making mixes? I downloaded it and I enjoy being able to use my mp3s in mixes, but do real DJs hate it and see it as poser shit?

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    real DJs use cassettes

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Real DJs can't see it because all of the real DJs are Ray Charles and on coke.

• AsKo25 sounds like an inquisitive '80s robot.

People may frown upon all the virtual/microwave/mp3 stuff, but it's all coming around and soon nobody will frown. It's the wave of the future. It's more about what you can do with the mix than how you do it.

I enjoy vinyl and so do most people on this board, but things like microwave offer a lot of options and ease so it's hard to deny it.

just make a banging mix and don't tell anyone what you use.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    just make dub your voice over a banging Khaled mix and don't tell anyone what you use you dind't mix it.

• hell with scratch live, microwave...man who's really going to carry crates of records everywhere. Yeah to record shows but to a club to Dj.People have to adjsut to the times & the times are more technology orientated.

• AsKo25 sounds like an inquisitive '80s robot.

• real DJs don??t care

• hmm i dont know. I need to bust out my "keeping-it-real" rule book to see if this is frowned upon.

and why for some crazy reason i think this is another of super poasters short lived cameos on this forum?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If aint wax it aint right.......

Whatever rocks the party.

• real DJs use cassettes

• real DJs use cassettes

• real DJs use cassettes

- J

• - J

Man, if I can find one of the old Sony cassette decks my dad had with the wicked pause button, and where if you fed the audio back into itself you could make some very interesting sounds, I'm going on tour. I don't care where, I'll play in the Tesoro parking lot, and just go "kcuuuuu kcuuuu", and I can do my "pencil technique".

• I don't know what virtual dj is really like, but I think that realness is separated by the use hearing to match beats. If virtual dj does anything to automatically match your beats, then it's sorta lame imo.

I've heard some mixes made in ableton that I enjoy, but you lose the distinction of having beatmatched tracks. If you're just doing it at home to make a mix, that's okay. But if you go out and dj live with something that matches your beats for you, then I start calling you a clown instead of a dj.

• I don't know what virtual dj is really like, but I think that realness is separated by the use hearing to match beats. If virtual dj does anything to automatically match your beats, then it's sorta lame imo.

I've heard some mixes made in ableton that I enjoy, but you lose the distinction of having beatmatched tracks. If you're just doing it at home to make a mix, that's okay. But if you go out and dj live with something that matches your beats for you, then I start calling you a clown instead of a dj.

Beatmatchin definitely requires some talent.

But if you are matching your beats by ear, can't you do that with something simple like say Garage Band, where you just need a fader???

I'm no DJ so I just wondering.