WEEKEND FINDS/TRADES WHATEVER

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
let me see what you got.

Comments

• fresno finds

stavros xarhakos - 6 + 6
    stavros xarhakos - red lanterns ost (cool greek soundtrack)
    bruno nicolai - ciao italia (what's an italian library doing in fresno?)
    yusef lateef - eastern sounds (finally! it is the blue label press, but I've been after this one years)
    jean pierre vissalu - demenagements (french prog that sucks)
    iliad - saphire house (cheap)
    fela - black president
    sufi choir (wasn't this big on waxidermy like a year ago?)
    electric prunes - underground (ehh)

mailbox finds

nana banana (? not sure if i like it or not)
    egisto macchi - fauna marina
    italia minima on lupus
    barbarella soundtrack (sucks and is good all at once)

dave

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

dave

Dave

You need to educate your ears for some cheesy grooviness.

Peace

• Goodwill's 50% off sale got me this

picked this one up today

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    sufi choir (wasn't this big on waxidermy like a year ago?)

I dont know but copies are all over Berkeley. Aside from the tabla break on one of the songs on the Brown record it's way too much hippie religion for my tastes

• sufi choir (wasn't this big on waxidermy like a year ago?)

I dont know but copies are all over Berkeley. Aside from the tabla break on one of the songs on the Brown record it's way too much hippie religion for my tastes
    "Crazy Jane on God", featured on the blue album, is amazing light female vocals over a beautiful cello. Worth the album for that track alone.

• Some from record-fair yesterday, others have been lying around for a bit:

The record with the Hieronymus Bosch illustration on the cover is probably the most amazing record I??ve bought this year. I absolutely love the thing. Is United Underground the name of the band, or is it Pearls before Swine? Who cares, it absolutely kicks ass. The Vanessa is a Norwegian private press jazz record, that *could* be of interest to an average Soulstrut-type person.

Very glad to find that Gil-Scott Heron LP after seeing Black Wax and really enjoying it. That Flying Island is niiiice (if you can stand it??s fusiony parts), I??ve had other records on Vanguard that were all pretty meh, but this one shreds! Are there any more real quality LPs like this on the label? Zodiac Disco Alliance is a Latvian Disco record, with a pretty killer track on it.

Man, records got interesting again!

- J

• Brazil finds. Take homes only. Three weeks in Rio, Bahia and Sao Paulo. Lots not pictured. Still jetlagged.
    Digging pics here:
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf...albumId=1010401

Record pics here (sorry about the blurry 7"s):

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

That Flying Island is niiiice (if you can stand it??s fusiony parts), I??ve had other records on Vanguard that were all pretty meh, but this one shreds! Are there any more real quality LPs like this on the label?

That one is an anomaly of heatastic bangingness. Their other album (I believe they had another one) wasn't even remotely that good. Vanguard is very spotty. Other than Sandy Bull, a Sadao Watanabe record, and some other stuff, the funk is not brought by Vanguard.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Brazil finds. Take homes only. Three weeks in Rio, Bahia and Sao Paulo. Lots not pictured. Still jetlagged.
    Digging pics here:

Duuuuuuuude. Pulling heat. I am amped to go and I still have months to wait until it happens.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Brazil finds. Take homes only. Three weeks in Rio, Bahia and Sao Paulo. Lots not pictured. Still jetlagged.
    Digging pics here:

Duuuuuuuude. Pulling heat. I am amped to go and I still have months to wait until it happens.

i want a lot of those records

• That Flying Island is niiiice (if you can stand it??s fusiony parts), I??ve had other records on Vanguard that were all pretty meh, but this one shreds! Are there any more real quality LPs like this on the label?

That one is an anomaly of heatastic bangingness. Their other album (I believe they had another one) wasn't even remotely that good. Vanguard is very spotty. Other than Sandy Bull, a Sadao Watanabe record, and some other stuff, the funk is not brought by Vanguard.

No love for the Pazant Brothers? Anyway, I always thought it was awesome that a label could go from Joan Baez to Twilight 22 in 20 short years.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

That Flying Island is niiiice (if you can stand it??s fusiony parts), I??ve had other records on Vanguard that were all pretty meh, but this one shreds! Are there any more real quality LPs like this on the label?

No love for the Pazant Brothers? Anyway, I always thought it was awesome that a label could go from Joan Baez to Twilight 22 in 20 short years.

I knew I was forgetting the funk they did. OK, so that rounds Vanguard out.

• barbarella soundtrack (sucks and is good all at once)

dave

Dave

Peace

you can't say you like those vocal numbers on side one.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

dave

Dave

Peace

you can't say you like those vocal numbers on side one.

• "Barbarella psychadella"? Cheese-tastic in a pretty funny way. That "Angel of Love" track is horrendous though.

Have you seen the movie? I love the psych-lite scene in the "Chamber of Dreams". I??d like to know how they did those effects. Seems like they??re just filming different oils poured on a surface and filtering the colours. Anyone know?

- J

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• Rey? Did you change your avatar?

• Some of my weekend finds....comments are most welcome!

Lou Reed- Transformer
    The Who - Happy Jack

Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillepsie
    Bebo Valdes- Glorias de Cuba

• Rappity Rapp CD's all from the $1 bin:

From left to right:

[*]Sweetenlow - Compton Killa[*]Daddy Freddy - Stress[*]Vell Bakardy - Genuine Liqua Hits[*]Little Shawn - The Voice In The Mirror[*]Silk Tymes Leather - It Ain't Where ya from...It's Where Ya At[*]Backbone ft Slic Patna - Concrete Law[*]2 Deep - Honey, That's Show Biz[*]East Coast Family - Volume One[*]Nobody - Soulmates[*]M.C. Brains - Lovers Lane[*]Mesanjarz Of Funk - S/T[*]Project Blizznaizznowed[*]Capital Tax - The Swoll Package *PASUE*[*]Nikki D - Daddy's Little Girl[*]Larry Larr - Da Wizzard Of Oddz[*]Flavor Unit - Roll Wit Tha Flava[*]Cru - Da Dirty 30[*]Budda Monk ft ODB - Got's Like Come On Thru (Jonny, what Bay Area underground group used this same guitar sample? Fundamentals?)[*]MF911 - Idol The Bloodsport(Prod by Ced Gee & Charlie Beats! Should I sell this?)[*]The Nature Boy - Sweet Black Magic(Anyone know this?)[*]Various - NBA Jam Session (B-Ball jamzzz by BBD, Wreckz-N-Effect, Barrington Levy...FRESH!)[*]H-Town - Ladies EditionDistributed by a Nat'l Womens Organization so the songs are all pro-female. [*]Dulaa - Komplex Feelings[*]Black Dave - Next Stop The Ghetto[/LIST]

• Used to listen to that Soulmates album quite a lot when it came out. Where??s the emo-rap graemlin?

Still, some pretty good tracks on that.

How is that Buddha Monk? Wasn??t he a sort-of, kind-of maybe slightly Wu-affiliated dude? His first album was an absolute piece of shit. That track "Buddha Monk at the Opera"? Ugh.

- J

• How is that Buddha Monk? Wasn??t he a sort-of, kind-of maybe slightly Wu-affiliated dude? His first album was an absolute piece of shit. That track "Buddha Monk at the Opera"? Ugh.

Actually, it's just a CD single. "Gots Like Come On Thru" was the only Buddha Monk song on there. I remember hearing the song at the end of that shitty movie The Big Hit and buggin' off the sample (which I had heard before on an old ass underground/backpacker dub I had).

Buddha Monk ft. Ol' Dirty Bastard "Gots Like Come On Thru"

• No records this weekend but I met Charles Tolliver yesterday. Nice guy, a little spacey though.

Today will be checking out Mavis Staples, Betty LaVette, and Yusef Lateef.

MCF

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    HART PLAZA~~~~~~~~!!!!!

• No records this weekend but I met Charles Tolliver yesterday. Nice guy, a little spacey though.

Did you see him live? Was he in big band format? I'm curious about that...

• Rey? Did you change your avatar?
    Rey would never purchase a record with tape over the seams and writing in pen, let alone post it on here!

Did you see him live? Was he in big band format? I'm curious about that...

He did the big band thing but I missed his show.

Marcus Belgrave and Wendell Harrison were in our tent when I happened to be playing "Gemini" on our CD player. Wendell Harrison cocks his ear and says to Marcus "People still listen to that record?". Killed me.

MCF

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Rey? Did you change your avatar?
    Rey would never purchase a record with tape over the seams and writing in pen, let alone post it on here!

See y'all collecting flamenco soul in 2008

HATTERZ

LOLZ

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    just one

finally

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    just one

finally
    why is that record so elusive? ive only seen it probably twice in my life

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    just one

finally
    why is that record so elusive? ive only seen it probably twice in my life

Good > Rare

But, that's actually a fairly common pull here in the city. The Burgh may be a different story.