Shenmue appreciation...

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I think this game has been mentioned here before but I'm in that sentimental mode right now about video games and my Dreamcast is still in storage... This title was/is pretty ahead of its time IMOWho else is down?

Comments

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    GOTTA REP SHENMUE, Bitch!

Hey, do you remember that 60 man beatdown towards the end of the game?!? INSAAAANE!!!

That's what I remember about Shenmue. That and the minigames.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    This is hands down my favorite video game series. I was a deprived kid when it went to video games most of the time I would be getting beat all over the floor by the bratty kids with all the toys in virtua fighter. The whole chill factor of the game was so welcoming for me to dig on. When this came out I had no license for six months and I could have cared less took the train to work and smoked blunts and played the fuck out of this game stranded. I never got the saturn in my house, I always wanted that shit. I could get high and stay in the arcade and play hang on and space harrier alll day. And then the fact that the shit looked awesome and was like detective story involving kung fu was like it was made for me or something.
    The whole button pressing thing qte or whatever was really cool during all the cut scenes being able to control the outcome was so rad and I never saw it in a game. Unfortunately I don't think enough video game fiends are stoned enough to dig this one, they want some bombs and more soda.

I got the PAL edition of the second one years ago and just sold it for 60 bucks or something on ebay with the boot disc and I was shook to list the boot disc, ebay was flagging me all over. I didn't answer any of the emails people wrote asking if it came with a playable disc, and it STILL got mad bids! I don't know why they trusted me. I was scared to answer yes it had an extra disc so I just said itd work on US system

How is Shenmue 2 for x box? I got a 360 and always look for it, but its never in the store. Is it reverse compatible, or whatever?

• yes, this game was !

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    YO! that game was my shit! the arcades in that were crazy. i never played pt.2 either, but have a 360 as well and am curious to know. i'll do some research. i think you might have to download some update to be able to play it. lemme check it out.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I just found it at gamestop today for 5.99, I don't care at that price, I'll take the chance, but Im gonna pop it in my 360 later tonight and see if it works. I played 2 and it was way more plot driven and the qte's were fun, but the little extras werent as in depth. It had more places and more sites and more games I guess, but with the world so big, going to the neighborhood arcade wasn't a part of the game anymore. I was just playing #2 cutscene to cutscene, checking out everything it had to offer a lot less. I hope they do a game for the 360 like this, so much like a movie. I hope though it isn't the big box office type of game though and its one that just kind of looks awesome and goes over everyones heads like shenmue

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Shenmue was pretty innovative in it's day, back on the DREAMCAST. I think that, it could still be a good franchise. The main problem I had was that the fighting engine was so stiff. I remembered how much of a bitch that 60 man fight was, and then that creepy looking dude at the end, was too easy. If they would've had anything at the level of tekken or soul calibur mixed with the rpg + world exploration of this game. That would be incredible.

- spidey

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    yeah it says I need a hard drive, so I probably have to download an update or something

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    found it. you just have to download some free emulator from the xbox site.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/shenmue2/

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm

i gotta find this now.

check out "bioshock" too if you guys get a chance. shit is fiiiiiiiiiiyah!!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Hey, who wants to get a job at the docks speeding crates around on a mini forklift? Oh, HELL YES!

• found a dreamcst at a yardsale last week for 10 bucks.

was playing a burnt copy of snk vs. capcom 2 within the hour.

• The 4th disc of Shenmue 2 was probably the single most effecting video game experience. It's corny, but I actually felt like I was courting Shenhua as we journeyed together. And that last scene was some earth shaking shit.

My friend and I ordered the PAL Dreamcast versions and played the game over 3 or 4 days. Every day at work was filled with dissection of the story and marvelling over how amazing it was.

The reality of being left with that crazy paradigm shifting cliffhanger forever is crushing. There is basically no way they will ever make a real sequel to it. Such a shame.