Recommend Some Good Old Country Music

2»

Comments

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts

pretty much everything listed
    + Charlie Feathers

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    tons of knowledge was dropped in the country murder ballads thread a few years ago

• Nobody has mentioned Emmylou Harris yet?!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Nobody has mentioned Emmylou Harris yet?!

Ewww.

• Nobody has mentioned Emmylou Harris yet?!

Ewww.

Blasphemy!

Your hero Parsons liked her.

Ewww.

Blasphemy!

Your hero Parsons liked her.

Dude was a man whore, of course he liked her.

Seriously though, I like the 2 record she did with Gram, but her solo records don't really do it for me.

• Definitely those two GP records. Kinda surprised nobody's mentioned him yet, probably because he's either too obvious or is not considered country, even though the Nashville crowd adopted him as one of their own.

G.P. is a very country album.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Definitely those two GP records. Kinda surprised nobody's mentioned him yet, probably because he's either too obvious or is not considered country, even though the Nashville crowd adopted him as one of their own.

i dont think mainstream nashville EVER "adopted" gram, dead or alive. the byrds played the grand ole opry when gram was a member and they didnt go over too well.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

after hearing this Emmylou Harris anthology, i can see why.

disc one (which is mostly '70s music) is just a little too hippie-folky for me. disc two is marginally better when she gets the rosanne cash "new traditionalist" treatment, but thats only every now and then.

bottom line: she has her moments, but i could name 30 country acts i'd listen to before her. and i do mean COUNTRY, not some semi-folk singer or some rock act who plays an acoustic guitar.