Equipment/preamp? pic inside

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Can I use this for anything other than guitar? Guy wants to sell it to me at a yard sale.

Comments

• Yeah, it looks to be an old mixer / pwr amp combo...Probably pretty noisey and equivalent to , but in mixer form...Nothing vintage or even usable about it I would guess by the looks...The brand Acoustic was a cheap manufacturer of Guitar, Bass, Kybd amps and some PA equipment...Pretty cheap even back when it was new...

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    This is a PA/Mixer, for a club or rehearsal space. It's not a guitar amp, though you can mic many instruments through a PA. It's good to mic drums or to just put vocals through if you don't want to run instruments over the house system. The levels are for mixing the sound of a live band or performance.

Acoustic Control co. created some of the first solid state electronic amplifiers back in the late 60s, when solid state was the tiny circuit boarded future. They are well known for making awesome bass amps and Jaco Pastorious always exclusively used an Acoustic 360 throughout the early 70s till his death, and John Paul Jones w/ Zeppelin played bass outta them, and Rich Grech w/ Blind Faith played bass outta them. They were also used by Krieger for keyboard in The Doors, Zappa used them exclusively in tons of shit he did and The Mothers of Invention were in one of the ads I see all the time in old magazines.

Regardless of who they endorsed, the old models though usually really beat up with character are known for having some of the warmest sounds and tones ever produced from solid state electronics. Most guitar players and musicians are tube afficiandos and the reason these Acoustic heads are cheap is because they look like shit, and might be crackly. Since they aren't tubes they don't command the kind of value but warm tone heads are always asking about Acoustic amps because they heard some that are great in comparison. I know of one Acoustic bass head I played out of that I swore sounded just as warm as an Ampeg model T, smoother with less bite, and was fucking louder!! This one however was made in the 80s. I know that's when they went out of business. If you play in a group or mic live music, it might be nice especially if its under a hundred bucks I wouldn't pay much more cause it looks beat!

I bought a 150 bass/guitar head for $150 instead of buying a blackface Fender Bassman for $800. Purists would laugh at me, but I bought a lot of video games and still got a pretty warm tone for way cheaper. I just wish the contacts were cleaner. These things are notorious for being in basements forever and not aging well.