Ensoniq ASR-10

AlbertAlbert 26 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Hello, I'm new, from T*****o. I might get redirected to the ASR forums (no!), but I can't seem to find any help on this shit for a while now. Is anyone here a master of the Asr and wants to shed some light on the tempo/loop matching function on that thing? Please. Someone spliced a nice chunk of the original video manual and dropped it on youtube, but yeah, no it's not there. I can't seem to find it in the musicians manual, maybe because it doesn't have the index page, but anyway. PLEASE!

Comments

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    i believe you tap the play button....however i never used that function...after awhile you can kinda tell what tempo loops are..

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    are you asking to see if there is a function that reads the wav. for you?
    if so, it is not on there.
    you have to match it by ear(the"BEEP,beep,beep,beep,beep,beep,beep,beep,BEEP"sound)

HIT:

"EDIT" then "SEQUENCE".scroll to the right to make sure the bpm you think it is and adjust. also scroll to the right to see if the count off is on
    scroll to the left to make sure that the seq record is on "ADD" and you should be fine..

Atleast this is what I think you are talking about.

• AlbertAlbert 26 Posts
    Thanx. So that is the ONLY way of doing it on that monster? I still have a hard time understanding how I'm supposed to fit a loop into a sequence. I also don't understand how the time stretching function is supposed to be used. Pretty complicated stuff. Shit also takes like 2 hours to process.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Albert,

Another way is to use the pitch function to edit the tempo of the loop. In Edit mode, press the pitch and using the left/right direction buttons to move to the screen with the assigned key (or note), and you'll see a number on the right (it will read "0" if you've not moved the pitch up or down using the up/down direction keys). Moving the pitch down (or the negative direction) slows the loop down, while moving the pitch up (or the positive direction) speeds this up (in a fine-tuned fashion). You can make large changes to the pitch by moving the key up or down. You do this by moving the cursor, using the left/right direction button to the key for note (shown by a letter F, G, A, B, C, D, or E, sharp or minor). Moving the key in the down button direction (moving from G to F) makes the pitch higher (or the loop go faster), while moving the key in the up button direction (moving from F to G) makes the pitch lower (or the loop slow down). I hope this helps!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Thanx. So that is the ONLY way of doing it on that monster? I still have a hard time understanding how I'm supposed to fit a loop into a sequence. I also don't understand how the time stretching function is supposed to be used. Pretty complicated stuff. Shit also takes like 2 hours to process.

I've never tried the time stretch but I heard its . ASR isn't really a loop friendly machine.

• AlbertAlbert 26 Posts
    Thanx Prof, I remember you from the early Stones Throw MB days, I used to visit there sometimes.

Jacob; yeah, I expected a little more from the ASR in that dept. but I only paid $300 for mine, so that makes it ok to me.

• Thanx. So that is the ONLY way of doing it on that monster? I still have a hard time understanding how I'm supposed to fit a loop into a sequence. I also don't understand how the time stretching function is supposed to be used. Pretty complicated stuff. Shit also takes like 2 hours to process.

I've never tried the time stretch but I heard its . ASR isn't really a loop friendly machine.

Actually I used to fuck with the time stretch. It's not bad, although not as good as the Akai time stretch of the same vintage. But yeah set your values real low and it can do a number of things - I was able to use it to fit loops but also to extend real short loops to create sounds, like vibes or violins or whatever. ASR 10 is my shit

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i hate the sequencer on the asr. i use mine as an effects processor for the juno. sounds HUGE.