24-7 Spyz

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
I was digging through a box of old CDs this weekend and found this:I bought it when I came out and remember really liking it. It's held up fairly well, to me at least, but I suspect that much of that has to do with associating it with being 18 or 19. I always thought the unfavorable comparisons to Bad Brains were pretty weak (file under "Not all black dudes who play non-funk sound alike").Batmon, did they get any love in the South Bronx?

Comments

• Don't do this....

• do you remember Basehead....the group.I kinda lump them together.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Batmon, did they get any love in the South Bronx?

Only by me. My boys werent fuckin w/ Thrash-Funk the way i was.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As you well know, Ross, 24-7 Spyz went really well with all of the punk-funk schtuff that was happening in Texas at that time.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    do you remember Basehead....the group.I kinda lump them together.

I smoked a joint with the dude once...they opened up for the Butthole surfers...nice dude.

• Yeah, I started this thread months ago.

And I still ride for their first album.

• Yeah, I started this thread months ago.

And I still ride for their first album.

Fuckin' sage, man.

• do you remember Basehead....the group.I kinda lump them together.
    2001 BC
    not a bad album...real mellow but they were a little harder live

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    24-7 Spyz

Bought the album back in the day, could never get into it.

Decent live act, I guess - they had alot of energy onstage.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    These dudes were like metal with Seinfeld bass, right?

Are they from Atlanta? Or am I thinking of Follow For Now?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Their debut on east west records This Is...24-7 Spyz! was very good.
    I need to get that reissue cd with it and Strength In Numbers
    I'm fiending to listen to This is... now but i dont have any functioning tapedecks.

I'm fiending to listen to This is... now but i dont have any functioning tapedecks.

Which part of that poast offended you?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Funny. I have that shit on tape too. I also think I found vinyl of it for a dollar somewhere and I copped. Couldn't tell you where in my house it is though.

The album with the crazy psychedelic cover is also ok, but there's one cut where the drummer raps on it, and that cut is

• These dudes were like metal with Seinfeld bass, right?

Wrong.

They were an electrician, a plumber, a carpenter and a TV repairman from the Bronx.

Wrong.

They were an electrician, a plumber, a carpenter and a TV repairman from the Bronx.

But did they or did they not play metal with Seinfeld bass?

Was Follow For Now from Atlanta, then?

Pardon my ignorance; I just wasn't raised like that.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Follow For Now

Oh shit; I haven't heard that name for a minute.

Whatever happened to The Veldt?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I saw 24-7 Spyz open for The Godfathers in Clemson, SC back in the late 80s/early 90s. Peter Fluid (was that the dude's name?) jumped into the crowd and did some friendly slamming with my man Paul, who in turn got amped and tried to pass it on to a tall dude in a turban and one of those Jesus-in-the-crosshairs "Kill Your Idols" t-shirts. Tall dude wasn't having it, though, and taxed Paul with an elbow the back of the head, effectively ending Paul's evening early. I remember Peter Fluid sporting some Mars Blackmon-style frames and the Booby Brady horizontal-stripe mockneck. For all these reasons and more, it was a heck of a show.

And I'd say that "metal with Seinfeld bass," while it may be reductive, cannot really be said to be inaccurate.

• These dudes were like metal with Seinfeld bass, right?

This was choice. If only you could use your powers for good.

This was choice. If only you could use your powers for good.

With great power comes great temptation.

Seinfeld Bass indeed.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    To be honest i dont remember their music being slap-bass happy thats more the m.o. of Fishbone and Primus.

To be honest i dont remember their music being slap-bass happy thats more the m.o. of Fishbone and Primus.

True. But it was liquid steez thumbin'....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

True. But it was liquid steez thumbin'....

So true. They were a good live act(Saw 'em at the Cabooze in Minneapolis along with about 25 other patrons after reading a rave review in Spin), very Fishbone-esque, post-ska-era. Heavy on the Seinfeld-bass and the metal, which at the time, was technically PRE-Seinfeld, so Young Regatta is both right and sorta wrong.

I remember their follow up to the first LP being much more Hendrix-y, which seemed even more wanky than the first record, and they became sorta 'Living Colour-lite'.

A little 24-7 Spyz went a LONG way.

and they became sorta 'Living Colour-lite'

How?

Spyz was rappin for half the debut album.

Oh theyre both Black.

How?

Oh theyre both Black.

Yeah...while I like all the bands just fine, it kinda bothers me that a Fishbone post automatically causes a Living Colour thread and the re-up of an old 24-7 Spyz thread.

Can't Fishbone be discussed without bringing up the same damned usual suspects every damned time?

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    I saw them tour the first Lp here at the Diamond Club. They played full out to a VERY meager crowd (less than 100 in a 1000 capacity venue). They really tore shit up as much as possible, and the crowd that was there was totally into it. Did my first and last stage dive there (lept from the stage, only to watch the crowd part like the red sea..... right down on my ass. Fuckin Killed myself, and didn't sit right for about a week).

In some sort of bizarre moment, the bass player thought it was a great idea to drop his pants and flash the bird to the crowd. I remember thinking "dude.... not really any girls here, and something tells me you're not gay". Strange move, but it didn't stop the show from continuing. I will also take this moment to say no homo.

24-7 Spyz still have flavour in my books.

How?

Oh theyre both Black.

Yeah...while I like all the bands just fine, it kinda bothers me that a Fishbone post automatically causes a Living Colour thread and the re-up of an old 24-7 Spyz thread.

Can't Fishbone be discussed without bringing up the same damned usual suspects every damned time?

"Spyz is Living Colour Lite who is Bad Brains Lite......"

• and they became sorta 'Living Colour-lite'

How?

Oh theyre both Black.

Whatever, foolio.... THEY ALL BOW AT THE ALTAR OF THE ALMIGHTY

How?

Oh theyre both Black.

Whatever, foolio.... THEY ALL BOW AT THE ALTAR OF THE ALMIGHTY

SNOOZE...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

SNOOZE...
    BAN

• SNOOZE...
    BAN
    IMMEDIATELY...