Ebay Strut: Buying records off Carol Kaye

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Yesterday I won an auction for Picking up the E-string from Ms. Kaye listed under the record section of ebay. After reading and re-reading the description I was a little confused. At first I thought she was selling the LP along with copy of the CD but now I'm not so sure. I e-mailed her asking her very simply if this was the LP or the CD, her reply didn't really help me much.here is the ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320150259050and here is her response to my question
What you are describing is an ILLEGAL PIRATED RECORDING which is totally banned on EBay. If you like to buy stolen merchandise, then I'm not the right seller for you. CAROL KAYE
Do any of you strutters have any advice?

Comments

• It's an auction for her CD, which is recorded from her masters (I assume) - she thinks you are asking about the bootleg.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Yup, that's what I gathered from the listing.

• proteusproteus 77 Posts
    I just had a look at my vinyl copy of "picking up on the E-string' it's a 10" 33rpm - issued 1995. It's got all the re-mastering details and dates on the notes, etc - need to play it again but I remember mastering/sound was fine and I've got a 5 grand turntable. She says on her site that Hotwire Records who issued it have pirated it, though she only refers to CDs? Maybe they had masters but the deal went sour and they fucked her over?

I remember believing some tracks on this 10" like 'burning spear' etc were originally issued on a Joe Pass LP called Better Days. However I later saw tracks for the Better Days LP and I think all the hot trak's like 'burning spear', 'boogaloo', etc didn't appear to be on it - only on the e-string 10". Though same personnel - probably same session

Hope this helps.

Frank

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    It's an auction for her CD, which is recorded from her masters (I assume) - she thinks you are asking about the bootleg.

yeah, I got confused because she cross listed it under vinyl. She does seem a bit bitter because of this bootlegging issue.

Does anyone else think it strange that she is selling $5 copies of her CD one at a time on ebay?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    love that pic of her and Hampton Hawes

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I just had a look at my vinyl copy of "picking up on the E-string' it's a 10" 33rpm - issued 1995. It's got all the re-mastering details and dates on the notes, etc - need to play it again but I remember mastering/sound was fine and I've got a 5 grand turntable. She says on her site that Hotwire Records who issued it have pirated it, though she only refers to CDs? Maybe they had masters but the deal went sour and they fucked her over?

I remember believing some tracks on this 10" like 'burning spear' etc were originally issued on a Joe Pass LP called Better Days. However I later saw tracks for the Better Days LP and I think all the hot trak's like 'burning spear', 'boogaloo', etc didn't appear to be on it - only on the e-string 10". Though same personnel - probably same session

Hope this helps.

Frank

Burning Spear is on "better days".........

Here is the tracklist

1: Better Days
    2: Free Sample
    3: After School
    4: Balloons
    5: Burning Spear
    6: Head Start
    7: It's Too Late
    8: Gotcha
    9: Alison
    10: We'll Be Together Again

• Do any of you strutters have any advice?

Leave her a negative for being rude.

• i have had correspondence with her and she really is a sweet lady who is just trying to get by and take care of her family. given the fact that she has spent a lifetime in music, was a giant in her respective field (studio work and bass education) and has very little financially to show for it she is a tad bitter and touchy about that stuff.

explain the mix-up and try not to get too worked up about it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    i have had correspondence with her and she really is a sweet lady who is just trying to get by and take care of her family. given the fact that she has spent a lifetime in music, was a giant in her respective field (studio work and bass education) and has very little financially to show for it she is a tad bitter and touchy about that stuff.

Not to mention that she played bass on all those classic motown sessions

• i have had correspondence with her and she really is a sweet lady who is just trying to get by and take care of her family. given the fact that she has spent a lifetime in music, was a giant in her respective field (studio work and bass education) and has very little financially to show for it she is a tad bitter and touchy about that stuff.

well said.