frequency range question (808 related)

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
anybody have any idea what the frquency range of an 808 is?I'm no good at this kind of stuff. I'm not much of an engineer. I just need to know what the frequency range is so that I can kill that low end on another instrument to squeeze them in there. 808s in pro tools are no room for them.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    808s = a whole science of layering & creating harmonic distortion that I really don't quite get. An 808 is very low bass which means about 20hz - 70hz. Pure 808 won't do much for you though, try running it through any sort of effects unit or plugin that gets you distortion or feedback, it needs to crunch otherwise it's just a sine wave.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Im bored so i ran some tests
    i used this sample
    http://www.divshare.com/download/1776537-f90

here is a spectrum analysis pic from the kicks attack

Here is a 3d analysis of the response of the whole waveform. From attack to release (displayed opposite in this pic).

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    if you can afford it or find it (on the shhhhh) i highly recommends the EQ plugins by Sonalksis which have embedded spectral analysis. really really helpful for identifying problematic frequencies and shaping them out right there and then. also sound superb..

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    before this session is out I need a boom.

• thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

We're hoping we could come down there and get 72 booms. You know, the "booooom."

if you can afford it or find it (on the shhhhh) i highly recommends the EQ plugins by Sonalksis which have embedded spectral analysis. really really helpful for identifying problematic frequencies and shaping them out right there and then. also sound superb..

thats cool. i just ....ahem *purchased* them

• if you can afford it or find it (on the shhhhh) i highly recommends the EQ plugins by Sonalksis which have embedded spectral analysis. really really helpful for identifying problematic frequencies and shaping them out right there and then. also sound superb..

thats cool. i just ....ahem *purchased* them

how can i too "purchase" this?

• my man,

great topic by the way.

makes sense that's 808's are about harmonic distortion, considering a sine wave alone played at 60-80Hz is very subtle and un-noticeable with small speakers.