RICKY GERVAIS APPRECIATION

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Man.... I saw Ricky Gervais from the Office (UK version, write for the US version, Extras, etc.) live at the Edinburgh castle. I laughed non stop for 90 minutes, dudes a genius, his facial manerisums and voice is a cracker...He gave out commerative CDs of him dressed up as William Wallace standing in front of the castle! lol!Who else puts Gervais as a great?peace.

Comments

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    i went to see a while ago and found him very entertaining. i never found the office that funny but i thought extras was nothing short of genius.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    dudes a genius

seriously. his comedy is great but kind of saddening too, which i think is part of the brilliance. there's this one episode of Extras where david bowie makes up a song about him on the spot about him being fat and a loser and everyone in the room is singing along and i say to my friend that it's funny but kind of depressing me and he says "why? he wrote the lyrics" i keep that in mind now whenever there's some uncomfortable tone when i watch him. i liked the early seasons of curb your enthusiasm and am a fan of comedy in general where dudes put themselves through the ringer, but i think gervais really took it to a different level.

also me and diane_diane have been known to break out these moves on the dancefloor. ricky gervais is seriously great

• TNGTNG 234 Posts

also me and diane_diane have been known to break out these moves on the dancefloor. ricky gervais is seriously great

He hum/grunts "Disco Inferno" there, right?

He hum/grunts "Disco Inferno" there, right?

i will never get sick of this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5smqLBdHCg

also the daniel radcliffe episode of Extras is so so funny

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I will never ever ever ever tire of this:

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    there's this one episode of Extras where david bowie makes up a song about him on the spot about him being fat and a loser and everyone in the room is singing along and i say to my friend that it's funny but kind of depressing me and he says "why? he wrote the lyrics"

i show that clip to anyone who has not seen extras.

• Was Extras ever shown on US TV??
    Never seen it..

• funniest dude evaaarrr. comic genius. only stuff he's done that didn't blow me away were those radio shows/podcasts.

• Was Extras ever shown on US TV??
    Never seen it..

On HBO.

It is such a tremendously funny show...the episode with Ian McKellan is one of the most painfully funny things I've ever seen.

Tremendous television. Genius is a perfectly apt word for this man.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    The Office and Extras are brilliant. The rest of his stuff doesn't make me laugh as hard. But definitely one of the funniest blokes around.

And who can forget his brief foray into the world of music?

http://www.seonadancing.com/

• Master of creating hilariously awkward situations. Check out this mock interview with Garry Shandling.

• Anybody ever heard his podcast? Karl Pilkington's really the star of it, but I gotta think that Gervais and Merchant wrote some of that stuff. Just genius. And a gifted songwriter too.

"Spaceman came down to answer some things,
    The world gathered round, from paupers to kings.
    'I'll answer your questions, I'll answer them true.
    I'll show you the way, you'll know what to do'
    'Who is wrong and who is right?'
    Yellow, brown, black, or white'
    Spaceman, he answered, you'll no longer mind,
    I've opened your eyes, your now color blind'" . . . Racial. . ."

"She's the Serpent who guards the gates of helllllllll!"

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    it should also be noted that this dude has one of the best laughs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtnA75ZSXs

it should also be noted that this dude has one of the best laughs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtnA75ZSXs

oh my god, i love him. I LOVE HIM!! are you havin' a laugh? yes i am having a laugh

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    the one from the red nose day episode sounds exactly like the pillsbury doughboy haha

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

oh my god, i love him. I LOVE HIM!

Co-sign on his Podcast as well

His stand-up is worth checking too...

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/listings/1/4312

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    Master of creating hilariously awkward situations. Check out this mock interview with Garry Shandling.

Man, what is the verdict on this?? Apparently its been the subject of much debate. It was the 3rd in the series of "Rick Gervais Meets...", Christopher Guest and Larry David being the first two.

I'm not that familiar with Shandlings humor but for me it seemed like he genuinely dislikes Gervais and his whole gig. Made for some classic Gervais-like awkwardness, but the actual criticisms seemed pretty honest. I've never been able to get a straight answer.

I did read that it was scheduled to air on the BBC but never did, or maybe did at a much later date, more obscure time slot, etc. That could have added to the controversy..

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    funniest dude evaaarrr. comic genius. only stuff he's done that didn't blow me away were those radio shows/podcasts.

Gotta be kiddin right ?

Monkey News

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Master of creating hilariously awkward situations. Check out this mock interview with Garry Shandling.

Man, what is the verdict on this?? Apparently its been the subject of much debate. It was the 3rd in the series of "Rick Gervais Meets...", Christopher Guest and Larry David being the first two.

I'm not that familiar with Shandlings humor but for me it seemed like he genuinely dislikes Gervais and his whole gig. Made for some classic Gervais-like awkwardness, but the actual criticisms seemed pretty honest. I've never been able to get a straight answer.

I did read that it was scheduled to air on the BBC but never did, or maybe did at a much later date, more obscure time slot, etc. That could have added to the controversy..

I remember when they screened this series on Channel 4 over xmas. Shandling's humour is off that type but there did seem to be genuine moments where Gervais appeared to be extremely uncomfortable and Shandling seemed eager for him to leave and a reluctant interviewee. His animal joke made me piss myself though.

It's funny with Gervais as I remember when he first appeared on the 11 O'Clock show (the show that introduced the world to Ali G) and his jokes were similar to the Brent character. Audiences really didn't like him and he disappeared pretty quickly for a good couple of years.

On a side note, Stephen Merchant is also a very very funny man.

• Stephen Merchant =

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Anybody ever heard his podcast? Karl Pilkington's really the star of it, but I gotta think that Gervais and Merchant wrote some of that stuff. Just genius. And a gifted songwriter too.

"She's the Serpent who guards the gates of helllllllll!"

"I got some free love on the free love freeway
    The love is free and the freeway's long
    I got some hot love on the hot love highway
    I'm going back cuz my baby's gone"
    (Gareth: "She's deeaaaaaad")
    "She's not dead"

The first time I saw this scene, I had to stop the DVD for about five minutes so I could finally stop laughing. Just plain astounding.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

"I got some free love on the free love freeway
    The love is free and the freeway's long
    I got some hot love on the hot love highway
    I'm going back cuz my baby's gone"
    (Gareth: "She's deeaaaaaad")
    "She's not dead"

This is my shit....

Too bad extras is over. Anyone heard anything about the supposed finale special, or what dude is up to next?

Dancing With The Stars maybe????

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i love this muthafuckah. i wanted to catch him while i was in new york in may but tickets were like 300 bucks or something. after watching the first season of extras again i don't think it really lived up but those radio shows and podcasts are pure fucking gold. i also recommend the karl pilkington book if anything just for the illustrations.

• Master of creating hilariously awkward situations. Check out this mock interview with Garry Shandling.

I remember when they screened this series on Channel 4 over xmas. Shandling's humour is off that type but there did seem to be genuine moments where Gervais appeared to be extremely uncomfortable and Shandling seemed eager for him to leave and a reluctant interviewee. His animal joke made me piss myself though.

It's funny with Gervais as I remember when he first appeared on the 11 O'Clock show (the show that introduced the world to Ali G) and his jokes were similar to the Brent character. Audiences really didn't like him and he disappeared pretty quickly for a good couple of years.

On a side note, Stephen Merchant is also a very very funny man.

No, Shandling's in on the joke... it's all a put-on.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

No, Shandling's in on the joke... it's all a put-on.

yeah, i didnt think it was serious. more like a jiminy glick/fake interview. on the other hand the larry david one is an actual shtickless interview.

• No, Shandling's in on the joke... it's all a put-on.

no. you're wrong

• i can't think of a more original comedian than ricky gervais and his writing partner stephen merchant. i've probably watched every office (uk) episode at least 20 times, and I never get tired of it, due to the many dense layers, just like a great song. comedy aside the office had some of the most engaging character development and dramatic plot lines i've ever seen, better than nearly any "drama". the office special nearly brought me to tears no homo.

is anyone obsessed with the ricky gervais podcast? i got that shit on repeat, right in between alice coltrane and daedelus songs.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    there's this one episode of Extras where david bowie makes up a song about him on the spot about him being fat and a loser and everyone in the room is singing along and i say to my friend that it's funny but kind of depressing me and he says "why? he wrote the lyrics"

i show that clip to anyone who has not seen extras.

THANK YOU. I love this clip.

"yeah so do I; it's brilliant, Linda"

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i've just been getting into Extras and this part just cracked me the fuck up, when his soda explodes(youtube!).
    is this show still being made?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I'm sure this has been posted on here before....

might seem long - but WELL worth watching....genius.

he might honestly have the best comedic timing on anyone around today. dude's really on a whole other level. he's so amazingly good at being that subtle sort of irritating that authority figures can be (speaking on The Office).