ALTERED BEAST APPRECIATION

2»

Comments

• i dunno. i downloaded it on the wii and altered beast has not aged well. Golden Axe hasnt aged as bad.

I have been having a shit ton of fun playing super metroid the past week. picked up the new one today on my lunch break along with a 45 of bobby hebb's "sunny" for 50 cents.

• wow, how did I miss this thread. I didn't know this game was really that good. I got it used for cheap on the Sega and got hooked.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    cough

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    GOLDEN AXE!

WONDERBOY!

GHOSTS AND GOBLINS!

Awww shucks guys, you are bringing atear to my eye.

And i was an arcade kid all the way, never has a console.

remember lining up your coins on the screen to book your place?

and Sheep you and me in a golden axe showdown... bring it.

its all about that dwarf son.

• ha ha good thread .. i school yuo on sega raers!!

master system

mega drive

some of my faves there ...streets of rage/bare knuckle 1+2 ,revenge of shinobi andghouls n ghosts probbly my fave for the system!!!

sega saturn is dope too... on japanese import ! you can get all the snk/capcom fighting games ,loads of great vertical shoot em ups etc

RAER

and yes they still make traditional arcade games but they are only really played in the far east/south america and in private peoples collections played on cabinet or superguns so you can play arcade boards on your t.v

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    When I first moved to London in 91, I was staying with a few friends, one of whom owned a Sega Mega Drive (Genesis if you're American). The game we used to play most was Altered Beast.

Anyway, I was out at some club a few months later, and I heard this. It's about twelve and a half minutes long, and it's a house tune so some of you might find it kinda boring, but check it from about 2:48.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    cough

Ghosts n Goblins is so hard it's maddening. The Super version for snes was no joke either. Damn near gave me a heart attack every time I was reduced from super armor knight dude to naked "starving until my ribs are showing" mangy beard man.

Cosign on Golden Axe. Played Altered Beast in toy stores and such, but never had the Mega Drive (Genesis). Played a lot of Mortal Kombat 2 on it though, later on.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Has anyone here ever beat altered beast? I remember it being the hardest game, I could only get to the third or fourth level and I never knew anyone who beat it either. Maybe my friends and I just suck, your thoughts?

• On the Megadrive Altered Beast was ridiculously easy.

Rolling Thunder and Strider were great games on the Sega also.

Every arcade i have been in lately only has house of the dead and the other shooting games with the dance revolutions - nothing else going on.

I did reach the Pinball Hall Of Fame in Vegas last week and had a Great time.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    What ever happened to arcades?

do they even make arcade games anymore? the only ones i ever see are oldish ones in dilapidated airports and bus stations

I think the one-two punch of cheaper mass-produced hardware with equal/better firepower + online gaming did arcades in outside of a few novelty chains like Dave & Buster's and Chuck E. Cheese.

A handful of arcade games have been made in the last few years, mainly stuff you can't really replicate at home (e.g., light gun games with 100 inch screens ala House of the Dead 4 Special, driving games where 8-16 players, each in their own sit down replica cars, racing against each other, etc.).

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Everyone had Nintendos and my parents bought me a SEGA master system. I was like "what the fuck is this," but pops assured me this was the new new shit in NY. Said he had a problem getting it through the airport because of the gun. All my friends would come over and be all "what the fuck is that?!" I grew to love it but then sold it to buy a Super Nintendo when it came out, one of my life's regrets.
    I use to love this joint:

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Has anyone here ever beat altered beast? I remember it being the hardest game, I could only get to the third or fourth level and I never knew anyone who beat it either. Maybe my friends and I just suck, your thoughts?

My friend Phil could beat the entire game (on the Genesis) without taking a single hit.

This game is one of my favorite 2-players ever:

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    WIIIIIZE FROM YOUR GWAAAAVE

Dammit...you beat me to it.

Uuuummmmm........Power Up?

When dying:

DAAAAAAAAAHH!

Also: Bad Dudes' "I'm Bad!"

I think Space Taxi on the C64 was the first digitized voice usage on a home system.

• Has anyone here ever beat altered beast? I remember it being the hardest game, I could only get to the third or fourth level and I never knew anyone who beat it either. Maybe my friends and I just suck, your thoughts?

My friend Phil could beat the entire game (on the Genesis) without taking a single hit.

This game is one of my favorite 2-players ever:

i got it on the wii. swing by!