Food cost strut....

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
what are y'all paying for groceries, eating out, etc...My girl and I spend about $150-$160 every ten days at the grocery...this provides us with 3 quality squares a day(lots of fresh produce, steak, seafood, full breakfasts). We eat out about once a week, nothing fancy, just $25-$30 for the two of us. So we are looking at around $600 a month to eat. Whats it cost to eat well in your neck of the woods?

Comments

• About the same amount. We stick to the same game plan you described. Every now and then we get a little outta hand at the sushi spot and drop a hundred on dinner for two. Shit can get crazy expensive if oyu're not careful, clip coupons, go to WalMart, Target for certain items, etc.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    we go to the supermarket for breakfast (smoothies, yogurts granola and occasional eggs and muffins) and also for lunchables (cold cuts, bread, peanut butter) and that costs about $50 - 60 a week. We dine out (or pick up) almost every night, especially in summer - its too hot to cook. La Esquina is the only pick-up under $20, we'll also do Rice (not so good after them move and too expensive) or Cafe Habana (there are only so many cuban sandwiches a man can eat). Eat out can be very expensive and we usually just get one appetizer and one main and split both. But with a couple of drinks, you're still talking $70.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Food can get expensive if you don't budget for it. Groceries are usually $50/week. Eating out usually 2-3 times a week, but mostly inexpensive stuff, works out to $40/week for me and my wife. Overall, $350-$400 a month on food isn't too bad.

What really helps is packing lunch at home -- easily saves us $150/month or so.

• NYC sucks for this. I spend more on food than anything except rent...

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Well, I live alone & I spend about 100 dollars on grocery items every two weeks.
    Me & my girl eat out maybe once a week. Spend around 30 to 50 dollars.
    So I say around 300 a month.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Christ, I spend wwwway too much. I'm trying to get down to $500 a month just for myself but I can, at times, spend as much as twice that.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    im a college student with no girlfriend. I spend about 150-200 a month on groceries according to my cash flow statement. This month will be less since i just got my car towed (300 bones its a killer) and ive been eating macaroni and cheese stretching it into two meals, etc. and eating even more cheap than usual.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    im a college student with no girlfriend. I spend about 150-200 a month on groceries according to my cash flow statement. This month will be less since i just got my car towed (300 bones its a killer) and ive been eating macaroni and cheese stretching it into two meals, etc. and eating even more cheap than usual.

wow!

I'm definitely in the minority, food is one area I DO NOT cut corners in. I'll pull back on everything else in life before food.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I think we're around $600. Supermarket food is really expensive in Hawaii. We do Costco a couple times a month for staples, the farmers' markets twice a week for almost all our produce, plus fresh fish from the fishmarket. Almost none of the restaurants on Kauai are worth eating at, but I end up getting a burger or a sandwich for lunch a couple times a week.

It's mostly about local produce as the center of every meal:

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

wow!

I'm definitely in the minority, food is one area I DO NOT cut corners in. I'll pull back on everything else in life before food.

I am with you. I spend a lot of money on food. I have never taken the time to add it up, and frankly I don't care. I like to eat out and I like to cook at home. I buy what I want to eat and drink and only look at the price if I am really strapped for cash. I go to the grocery store daily, because I never know what I am going to want to eat. Its a habit I picked up when I live in Rome and walked by a huge food market on my way home every day.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    even though wegman's has the goods, they're not cheap. we spend about $500 a month on groceries, plus eat out about once a week. besides rent, my wife and i spend loot on food.