Edwards Generation

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Can anyone offer any advice on distinguishing an OG from a reissue? I am suspicious of my copy...Thankyou plaese yes

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Did it say something to you to lead you to be suspicious of it?

I tend to find that copies that sound "too" convincing usually turn out to be reissues.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Paste-on sleeve with brown cardboard inside, pink label... I can post the matrix #'s if you think it'd help...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Paste-on sleeve with brown cardboard inside, pink label... I can post the matrix #'s if you think it'd help...

Right, that's what I've got--but doesn't the re: also have those characteristics?

Matrix number would be helpful.

Right, that's what I've got--but doesn't the re: also have those characteristics?

A side:

TLP - SPL (SPL is scratched out) 401-A 21423 QT-3

B side:

TLP - SPL (SPL is scratched out) 401-B 21423 X QT-3

A side:

TLP - SPL (SPL is scratched out) 401-A 21423 QT-3

B side:

TLP - SPL (SPL is scratched out) 401-B 21423 X QT-3

Cool--that's what I've got. Thanks.

I'm positive this copy I'm quoting from is a real one as it came from a rather decrepit thrift shop and has quite a bit of "patina".

I really like this record.

I'm positive this copy I'm quoting from is a real one as it came from a rather decrepit thrift shop and has quite a bit of "patina".

I really like this record.

outsider soul?

It does have a bit of a "real people" feel to it, no? Perhaps this is why some people aren't into it.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    "thats how much i love her" destroyed me. this is one i snapped up the reish for cuz i know ill never find an original.

• With the reissue, you can see air through the top seam. Seriously

With the reissue, you can see air through the top seam. Seriously

Okay, thanks--I was under the impression that it was one of those tricky reissues w/ the heavy cardboard sleeve, etc.

• With the reissue, you can see air through the top seam. Seriously

Okay, thanks--I was under the impression that it was one of those tricky reissues w/ the heavy cardboard sleeve, etc.

No, it is - the reissue is almost exact. But, if you look into the jacket there are tiny little gaps in the top seam you can see through. It's easier to explain in person but it is a very tough reissue to spot.

No, it is - the reissue is almost exact. But, if you look into the jacket there are tiny little gaps in the top seam you can see through. It's easier to explain in person but it is a very tough reissue to spot.

Oh, okay--I got it.

I am now calling my landlords to ask that they check up on this because I cannot bear ten further hours of torment.

• "You're the One For me" is my cut... The rest is spotty... but not too much... definitely a really good record to have in the collekshun

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    "thats how much i love her" destroyed me. this is one i snapped up the reish for cuz i know ill never find an original.

That track is on 45 as well... killer drums.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    such a dope record

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I have a trade copy if anybody is interested.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Didn't that Japanese cat San "reissue" it. His "reissues" are obcessively accurate.
    I think he did the Lee Fields and a bunch of the more high quality ones.
    Supreme could drop more knowledge on San than I, all my info is second hand.

• Yeah it's definitely like the same guy that did F.A.T. and shit.

• How old is the reissue? Would the smell test work here?

• How old is the reissue? Would the smell test work here?

Not really - it's heavy cardboard and although it doesn't smell old or musty it has a different smell than the typical reissue, one that can be easily confused.

• So to clarify, looking into the sleeve...If I can see a thin translucent line across the top seam: I have the re-issue?

How old is the reissue? Would the smell test work here?

Not really - it's heavy cardboard and although it doesn't smell old or musty it has a different smell than the typical reissue, one that can be easily confused.

Mine has some fairly convincing stains/discoloration--I'll bring it by the shoppe one of these days for an expert appraisal.

• So to clarify, looking into the sleeve...If I can see a thin translucent line across the top seam: I have the re-issue?

Yes - if you can see a bit of light peaking through... it is the reissue...