Has Anybody Ever Seen This Record?

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Arctic Records sampler from the 60's, on Arctic -with DJ/singer Donny Brooks as "host" ... now, I'veseen a couple of 60's "Donny Brooks Presents" albumsaround - but the only reference to this I've seen is this one Academy auction on Popsike with dead pix:http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4713452141Anyone have/seen this? Tracklist? Can I have it?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ayo, I'm looking at you Philly heads.

This has to be a WDAS local Philly record. Brooks
    was a DJ at DAS and Arctic was owned by Jimmy Bishop,
    who was program director for WDAS (no conflict of interest
    there, whatsoever! ) so I'm thinking one of you
    Philly dudes must have this. Or at least have seen it.

Phill[/b] Most, Tony Triple Double, Drew Nice ... what's up?

EDIT: whoa - I swear I check BSN discographies and there was
    nothing. Then when I googled the catalog # I got a BSN page that
    did have it - along with the track list!

ALPS-1003 - Donnie Brooks (Soul Finger) Presents 20 Great Oldies Various Artists [1969] Introduction by Donnie Brooks/Oh No Not My Baby Maxine Brown/I Spy - Jamo Thomas/Ain't It Baby Kenny Gamble/A Message to My Baby Billy Harner/Is It Me? Barbara Mason/I Can't Stand It Soul Sisters/The Pain Gets a Little Deeper - Darrow Fletcher/I Don't Want to Lose You Steve Mancha/Hallelujah The Inventions/I Know (You Don't Love Me No More) Barbara George//Do the 45 The Sharpees/It's Been So Long The Twinights/My Judgement Day - Darrow Fletcher/The Philly Freeze Alvin Cash and the Registers/Who Do You Love? Sapphires/Sad Feelings Cicero Blake/Gonna Be Strong The Intruders/Watch Your Step Brooks O'Dell/Every Beat of My Heart Du- ettes/Storm Warning The Valcanoes
    hmmm ... this record has barely any Arctic releases ... I mean, "Who Do You Love"
    by the Sapphires is a true oldie, was on Swan, Sharpees on one-der-ful, etc ...
    ... but the Kenny Gamble track is a rare one. Unfortunately, other than that
    one track, the rest are all pretty easy to come by. Damn. I thought this
    thing was all Arctic stuff. With 20 tracks on there, it probably sounds like
    garbage, too. Nice track list, but not what I expected. Damn it.

• That kind of reminds me of a record I had which was a live showcase of Philly acts, including the Stairsteps, the Intruders, Billy Stewart, the Ambassadors... and it was hosted by the owner of Arctic (although it was on some tiny one-off label). Cool record.

• Damn, that looks like a cool record...I love just about every Artic 45 I come across, any Artic discog or history would be nice...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Can't say I've ever heard of this particular release. I have been curious about the Soul Sisters LP, which has been talked up before. And any alternate version of Storm Warning (compared to the The Ambassadors version), I'd be interested to hear.

Damn, that looks like a cool record...I love just about every Artic 45 I come across, any Artic discog or history would be nice...

Yeah, unfortunately, the tracklist shows that only 4 or 5
    of the songs on it are actually Arctic releases. It would
    still be pretty cool to find, and the Kenny Gamble is a rare
    track, but I can't see dropping big $$$ for it. Also, anyone
    who has heard a 20-tracks-on-a-single-LP record from the 60's
    knows that they tend to sound AWFUL.

• Can't say I've ever heard of this particular release. I have been curious about the Soul Sisters LP, which has been talked up before. And any alternate version of Storm Warning (compared to the The Ambassadors version), I'd be interested to hear.

There's always the OG (and best....)

There's also an instro on the Electric Indian LP...

• Can't say I've ever heard of this particular release. I have been curious about the Soul Sisters LP, which has been talked up before. And any alternate version of Storm Warning (compared to the The Ambassadors version), I'd be interested to hear.

There's always the OG (and best....)

There's also an instro on the Electric Indian LP...

The Volcanos version can be heard here...

Um, I'm pretty sure the version on this LP is the original
    by the Volcanos that everyone is familiar with. I'm willing
    to bet that "Valcanoes" is just a mis-spelling on BSN's part.

• Um, I'm pretty sure the version on this LP is the original
    by the Volcanos that everyone is familiar with. I'm willing
    to bet that "Valcanoes" is just a mis-spelling on BSN's part.

It is. I was responding to the post that referenced the Ambassadors.