YOUR TOP 5 SP1200 BEATS ON WAX

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
let me know.heres my top 5p.u.t.s. - any major dudes suitequasimoto - low class conspiracykazi - a.v.e.r.a.g.e.sound providers - applesquasimoto - basic instinct

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Paul C

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Paul C

• im not old enough to dig lot of the ultramagnetic stuff. post some of your fav paul c prod sp 1200 mp3s, maybe i can dig it.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    im not old enough to dig REAL HIP HOP. DO MY HOMEWORK FOR ME, maybe i can dig it.

please oslo
    leave the bronx/queens alone

• HamHam 872 Posts
    yo frefades. just listen to critical beatdown.

• oh, hi kala, youre the nice / positive guy on this board arent you?

• yo frefades. just listen to critical beatdown.
    of course ive hard critical beatdown and the whole album, but im not into beats with just open drums. the earliest rap albums i really dig ALL the beats on must be the kmd albums.

• FunkoffFunkoff 65 Posts
    two Polish Hip-Hop cuts, both are from 97, but we were here little behind the times. actually, we still are when it comes to hiphop, but thats another topic.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/3297141147bd78/

http://www.zshare.net/audio/32971480dfb515/

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    let me know.

heres my top 5

p.u.t.s. - any major dudes suite
    quasimoto - low class conspiracy
    kazi - a.v.e.r.a.g.e.
    sound providers - apples
    quasimoto - basic instinct

try this:

• let me know.

heres my top 5

p.u.t.s. - any major dudes suite
    quasimoto - low class conspiracy
    kazi - a.v.e.r.a.g.e.
    sound providers - apples
    quasimoto - basic instinct

try this:

got it

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    how do you know that these beats were made with an sp 1200? i mean, some of the cypress hill stuff you can tell because when the sample is slowed down it get that "aliasing" sound (i'm told thats what that sound is called). but if you're not old enough to dig utra, how would you know that anything about sp 1200 beats? besides that, how old do you have to be to like ultramag? i like me some cab calloway and his hayday was about 40 years before i was born. please to explain...

• HamHam 872 Posts
    how do you know that these beats were made with an sp 1200? i mean, some of the cypress hill stuff you can tell because when the sample is slowed down it get that "aliasing" sound (i'm told thats what that sound is called). but if you're not old enough to dig utra, how would you know that anything about sp 1200 beats? besides that, how old do you have to be to like ultramag? i like me some cab calloway and his hayday was about 40 years before i was born. please to explain...

it's not about age

• it's about taste

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

"Tru Master"

- J

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    yo frefades. just listen to critical beatdown.
    of course ive hard critical beatdown and the whole album, but im not into beats with just open drums. the earliest rap albums i really dig ALL the beats on must be the kmd albums.

soulstrut is the best

• "Tru Master"

- J

I believe at this point PR had made the switch to MPC2000xl.

• JNICEJNICE 5 Posts

"Tru Master"

- J

not true ... some classic sp 1200 material on Soul Survivor. The joint with Meth is a nice example of a simple but banging straight up sp beat. Also if you've ever seen the Soul Survivor documentary that Chris Lamonica shot you would know that Pete was making extensive use of the sp on that album. He had definitely made the switch to the MPC on Soul Survivor 2.

• If Xtra p made this beat on an sp, the OK's stress remix is one I like.

• "Tru Master"

- J

not true ... some classic sp 1200 material on Soul Survivor. The joint with Meth is a nice example of a simple but banging straight up sp beat. Also if you've ever seen the Soul Survivor documentary that Chris Lamonica shot you would know that Pete was making extensive use of the sp on that album. He had definitely made the switch to the MPC on Soul Survivor 2.

Ahh got confused between the two LPs, I think the second one is very poor ! Does anyone know where that documentary is available ?

• how do you know that these beats were made with an sp 1200? i mean, some of the cypress hill stuff you can tell because when the sample is slowed down it get that "aliasing" sound (i'm told thats what that sound is called). but if you're not old enough to dig utra, how would you know that anything about sp 1200 beats? besides that, how old do you have to be to like ultramag? i like me some cab calloway and his hayday was about 40 years before i was born. please to explain...

actually, when you work with a sp1200 yourself, its very easy to hear the difference between a sp1200 bit or an "another 12 bit machine beat". youll hear it when you pitch the samples down. all the sp users pitch shit up to get as much sample time as possible, because the machine does only have 10 secs of sample time.

by the way. i upped some sp1200 videos of beats that ive made on youtube. just search for "fredfades"

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

actually, when you work with a sp1200 yourself, its very easy to hear the difference between a sp1200 bit or an "another 12 bit machine beat". youll hear it when you pitch the samples down. all the sp users pitch shit up to get as much sample time as possible, because the machine does only have 10 secs of sample time.

by the way. i upped some sp1200 videos of beats that ive made on youtube. just search for "fredfades"

yeah i know about how it sound when you drastically slow down the pitch of a sample with the sp. give it that "glassy" kind of sound. i guess i just never heard it on these tracks before. i've haven't used one too many times and when i did it waas back in 91, 92. we used an sp 12 and had to really be clever to get full use of the very limited sample time. what, like 2 seconds or something? great for drums though, drums always banged on an sp.

• word, right now, im looking for an akai s950 to hook up with the sp and get more sampling time..

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Paul C

word, right now, im looking for an akai s950 to hook up with the sp and get more sampling time..

don't forget to buy a backpack to put it all in

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    word, right now, im looking for an akai s950 to hook up with the sp and get more sampling time..

Son don't you know SP + S950 = Real Hip Hop. The filters are crazy son!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Paul C

Seriously. Dudes sleep on that Stezo album cause he looks like a cornball on the cover, but the thing is a lesson on the SP.

You really can tell when a record was made with an SP-1200 vs. an MPC 60/S950/3000 vs. MPC 2k. They all have very different and distinct sounds. I can never really pick out the ASR-10 sound though.

shhhh... don't give away the secrets

whats up jake, me or zone gunna call u on some club bizzzzzzo in the next day or two...

peace.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

shhhh... don't give away the secrets

whats up jake, me or zone gunna call u on some club bizzzzzzo in the next day or two...

peace.

Hit me hommie.