Dilla vs. Premier

djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Sorry if this has been debated before, however....So, seeing all the Dilla related posts today reminded me of something a homie said on a recent road trip... "Premier, the greatest producer of all time, hands down!"How many people agree with this statement? While I would have agreed with this statement 10 years ago, I think Premier hasn't changed a whole lot in those 10 years while Jay Dee stayed consistantly progressive.Your thoughts?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Premier, the greatest producer of all time, hands down!"

Premier > Dilla

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Apples and Oranges ain't it?

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    You could say that Dilla was more interesting in a number of ways, but it's really not a contest to me. And despite working with some sub-par rappers, Premier made countless classic SONGS, whereas Dilla always had beats, but didn't really make that many memorable rap records. Sorry, Frank-n-Dank.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Premier made countless classic SONGS, whereas Dilla always had beats, but didn't really make that many memorable rap records.

• you can make a premier mixtape of 30-50 songs all pure classics no questions asked. You just can't do that with dilla. Preem hands down.

• what came 1st the chicken or the egg ?

no way im taking a slum vill lp over step in the arena/daily op/hard to earn...then we have the group home lp with production that should have went to jeru/ guru. how bout work hes done with nas, biggie, jay ?

agreed primo hasnt adapted or changed much..but really without primo, theres no dilla.

i once told shaheed i thought dilla was the death of atcq.oh well.

they both chop shit to death...go back to full clip and tell me how primo heard that cal tjader shit ?

i think a more equal battle would be pete rock vs. primo

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    premier hands down... like your homie said. Premier is still dropping heat and will be around dropping heat once everyone has finally left Rap because the money is gone.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Studio Ton

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Premier made countless classic SONGS, whereas Dilla always had beats, but didn't really make that many memorable rap records.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Studio Ton
    vs mike dean???

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    what came 1st the chicken or the egg ?

no way im taking a slum vill lp over step in the arena/daily op/hard to earn...then we have the group home lp with production that should have went to jeru/ guru. how bout work hes done with nas, biggie, jay ?

agreed primo hasnt adapted or changed much..but really without primo, theres no dilla.

i once told shaheed i thought dilla was the death of atcq.oh well.

they both chop shit to death...go back to full clip and tell me how primo heard that cal tjader shit ?

i think a more equal battle would be pete rock vs. primo

yeah, i wouldn't take slum over any of the gang starr albums either. the point that premier has way more classic songs than jd is valid as well. i just think "greatest of all time" is a pretty strong statement. premier reached a point with his production that it all became very predictable and since then has only a few beats that didn't fall into this mold. i agree he still drops heat, even though working with sub-par rappers (including guru) as they both tend(ed) to do.

back in the 90's i would be at tower records when they opened at 9am to buy any album premo produced (2 LPs and one cassette). i would then get back home, load up the binger and set the needle down and spark the bic. those were the days when his production did something inspiring for me. dilla managed to keep me inspired from day one to his last day and then some. dilla's style of production is also way more involved and musical than premier's.

so, i give it to premo for inovating and dilla for staying inovative throughout his career. and really, premier only came out about 3-4 years before dilla. going beat for beat, i think this would be a classic/great battle and i don't think it could be decided.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

this sort of supports my point. i am talking about beats more than actual songs.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Primo's catalog is just too heavy.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Good idea for a mixtape Primo vs Dilla ?

Premier's Lord Finesse shit is my shit.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I really don't even think this discussion is that appropriate since it's not as if Dilla came out in the same era. When Dilla was making a name for himself, Premo had done so and then some. I don't think it is fair to try to match them up since things had dramatically changed in the midst of Dilla becoming a household name.
    I mean, if we were talking who was killing it more from '96 on, then... you have a debate. Then my pick is Dilla. But Premier's tenure drowns out the idea of mentioning any of producer, outside of Dre and Pete.

Cats are sayin the two arent really comparable. I would say they are.
    The praise for Dilla up in herr by young producer cats has been crazy for the last couple of years and that in itself is a testament to his influence. One doesnt have to have a hit song or catalog to make a dent in the game. Is Dj Screw a household name? Dilla made beats and Primo made beats. One had wider and broader "success" than the other but I'd hesitate to downplay Dilla's impact on the culture. Im no fan to accurately gauge him correctly.

• was dilla really all that nice? sorry, but i think he's quite a bit overrated these days.

was dilla really all that nice? sorry, but i think he's quite a bit overrated these days.

Im no fan, but i bet there are some cats whose lives were changed by his art.

• was dilla really all that nice? sorry, but i think he's quite a bit overrated these days.

Im no fan, but i bet there are some cats whose life were changed by his art.

hm, i can understand that. there was a time when his music was very hip. but it was more of a style thing.

was dilla really all that nice? sorry, but i think he's quite a bit overrated these days.

Im no fan, but i bet there are some cats whose life were changed by his art.

hm, i can understand that. there was a time when his music was very hip. but it was more of a style thing.

I dont understand "Style Thing"?

• like he was not a super technical producer. he had a certain style to finish his beats. he didn't really work with samples on a technical side like, for example, dj premier.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    like he was not a super technical producer. he had a certain style to finish his beats. he didn't really work with samples on a technical side like, for example, dj premier.

Whaaaaaaa?

I dont know bout that.

Either way u cant discount one way of production over the other. Its what the end product is.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    like he was not a super technical producer. he had a certain style to finish his beats. he didn't really work with samples on a technical side like, for example, dj premier.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

• like he was not a super technical producer. he had a certain style to finish his beats. he didn't really work with samples on a technical side like, for example, dj premier.

Whaaaaaaa?

not??? why not?

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

wow