On The Go Magazine

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Now I did this a few years ago but I eventually removed it from my site. Just Blaze put up one of these on his blog today so I figured that was a good enough reason to break these bitches back out for the people.And so here's some scans that I made from my On The Go collection. I was one of the writers of this magazine, and was (am) good friends of Steve and Ari who made this the legendary magazine that it is. Starting in the early 90s, it was a definite "crew love" thing that was popping off. Based out of Philly for a few years, it wasn't until the crew relocated to New York that things really started to pop off. The combination of no holds barred social commentary, spot on reviews of hip-hop music and culture and it's unique brand of humor cemented it's position as one of the preeminant hip-hop magazines of the 90s.Speaking of humor, OTG had it in spades. Here's part of the comic series that was done for OTG by New York/Fort Green DJ Juilan Bevan. Enjoy.On The Go Issue #14, 1995(?)On The Go Issue #18, 1997SEE ALL OF THEM ON MY BLOG: http://blog.myspace.com/cosmobaker- - - Stay tuned for On The Go Part 2: Digging In The Crates!!!

Comments

• hell yeah, I used to love this magazine..thanks Cosmo!

• wow, that "so you wanna be a dj" comic is still 100% on point over 10 years later.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I remember a few of these photocopied and posted on the doors of KVRX (91.7 FM) at the University of Texas at Austin. Long live the House of Phat Beats (Red Kool-Aid & The Arubian Stallion (tigerblurp on SoulStrut)) and affiliates.

So awesome.

• thanks man, that was entertaining. i like how Dante Ross has his own level of hell

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I didn't do it because I don't want to bite the guys stuff, but this could totally be a graemlin:

• The Arubian Stallion

And HALF-DUTCH, bitchez!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    The Arubian Stallion

And HALF-DUTCH, bitchez!

I know its Aruban, but you know...

• I was going through all my old OTG's recently. This mag was probably one of the most influential mags in my hip hop development hands down. i have so much respect for everyone involved.

As i was going through this i was thrown off by this article that had various people include LA's future mayor commenting on California's propose paddle law that would beat graf kids.

Here is a link to the larger/readable version of the article...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1189/1217800384_fa88d63d2a_b.jpg

• Someone please post a video of Cosmo in "Repeat Offender."

• that dude julian is still djing too...

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Cos is my hero.

• Those comics are some funny shit! Checked out your blog for the first time, Cosmo. Looking good on that Guggenhein gig!

• hey cosmos,
    what's the deal! I def. remember On the Go cause I had a few friends that worked at the mag as well when I was at fat beats back then we sold the mag. actually, my man max glazer used to write for them back then... he did an interview with all of DITC at the fat beats warehouse back in july 97' that never came out because the mag went of bizness two months later. this interview is the only one with all of DITC..I mean all like big l, buck, fat joe etc. i just hooked max up to publish the interview in wax poetics....

peace,
    amir

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    wow, that "so you wanna be a dj" comic is still 100% on point over 10 years later.

Well fuck me if i didnt have that page printed out from a jpeg i was sent years ago. It was on the wall behind the bar.

I never knew where it came from...

nice one.

• hey cosmos,
    what's the deal! I def. remember On the Go cause I had a few friends that worked at the mag as well when I was at fat beats back then we sold the mag. actually, my man max glazer used to write for them back then... he did an interview with all of DITC at the fat beats warehouse back in july 97' that never came out because the mag went of bizness two months later. this interview is the only one with all of DITC..I mean all like big l, buck, fat joe etc. i just hooked max up to publish the interview in wax poetics....

peace,
    amir

yo,thats guaranteed to be good. on the go never did the standard dick riding interview same ol same ol, they were always on some ridiculous, funny shit. anyone remember the onyx article where they got them all riled up??? LOL

ben velez was definitely a huge influence on my knowledge of old records. pushed me to be open minded and appreciate music for music (rather than sample hunting)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    hey cosmos,

peace,
    amir

yo,thats guaranteed to be good. on the go never did the standard dick riding interview same ol same ol, they were always on some ridiculous, funny shit. anyone remember the onyx article where they got them all riled up??? LOL

ben velez was definitely a huge influence on my knowledge of old records. pushed me to be open minded and appreciate music for music (rather than sample hunting)

Yeahhh man, Ben is my dude. We still talk all the time. Tony did you see Ben at my wedding party?

I started the "Digging In The Crates" column from back in the day when we all still lived in Philly. Espo was a huge influence on me as a 15-16 year old kid on some crate digging shit. When he started the mag that's when I had the idea that I wanted to review old records. After a few years, when I stopped writing for the magazine as much, that's when Ben came in to take over the "Digging" column and he brought it to the next level. Definitely put me on on to all sorts of shit - and still does!

Yo Amir, Max is my main dude. Him and I were roommates for a while during the early/mid 90s. Actually, we both worked for Eightball Records for a while, and then we both left there - I moved back to Philly and he went on to work for Fat Beats. That article sound dope.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh yeah, I forgot!

hey cosmos[/b]

• Yeahhh man, Ben is my dude. We still talk all the time. Tony did you see Ben at my wedding party?

I started the "Digging In The Crates" column from back in the day when we all still lived in Philly. Espo was a huge influence on me as a 15-16 year old kid on some crate digging shit. When he started the mag that's when I had the idea that I wanted to review old records. After a few years, when I stopped writing for the magazine as much, that's when Ben came in to take over the "Digging" column and he brought it to the next level. Definitely put me on on to all sorts of shit - and still does!

i saw him for a minute. he was real lowkey though. havent been seeing him much, but it seems hes got a lot of vermont in is heart these days (cant blame him)

i feel really blessed to have been around the people i was at that time by dumb luck...ben v, paul nice, nkosi(rip), djeaze, mark ronson, lodi...shit was really cool in poughkeepsie. i remember ben talking a lot about the shit he used to get for "exposing" those records. this was pre internet and so much shit was just word of mouth! i completely missed soulman's rappages write ups, so On the Go and Ben's tutelage was like some ten commandments sacred scroll shit.

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    what was the story with the On The Go videos? Did they run parallel to the magazine, or was it entirely separate? I remember watching this when i was a little guy... http://youtube.com/watch?v=03ybqP7G6Po

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Just an extension of the magazine. I wish I had copies, and that shit I did in #2 is hilarious.

• what was the story with the On The Go videos? Did they run parallel to the magazine, or was it entirely separate? I remember watching this when i was a little guy... http://youtube.com/watch?v=03ybqP7G6Po

that shit is sooooooo dope. it gets cut off, but i dont think it goes on too much longer. i think they both start crackin up

• hey cosmo..lol! sorry about that.... anyway, my man ben velez, jimmy wintz and ari as well as espo did there thing. it should be in the issue after the next one with photos from that day...like fat joe and big l slap boxing in the street on that hot day. funny as shit...you will have read the article to know who won...

amir

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    hey cosmos,

peace,
    amir

I interviewed Luke from 2 Live Crew for that same issue. It was going to have Jay-Z on the cover which was a real contentious issue up at the magazine.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    on the go may possibly be my favorite magazine EVER. except for Jet, of course

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    The best magazine for me...I used to buy it EVERY time i went to NY. The comics was awesome. The writers team too.