Stoner/Doom Rock appreciation thread

iron_monkeyiron_monkey 985 Posts
edited September 2018 in Music Talk
DISCUSS..... then pass the bong to the left

Comments

• We can spin those, light some more incense, and then put this on:

Doom/sludge/stoner/Sabbath-esque/psychedelic metal flares up on my turntable every winter, seems to fit the scenery better.

MCF

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    iron monkey back with a vengeance
    "ruminating"on hot slutty latin chicks THC and doomer sludge
    YES MUTHAFUCKA

boris
    sunn o)))))
    angels in heavy syrup
    all the good shit on southern lord

reload the bong here
    http://www.stonerrock.com/forums2/

• Been diggin on "Spine of God" a lot lately.

"Bought another copy of 'Fragile'..."

• HamHam 872 Posts

truckfighters vs. firestone - fuzzsplit of the century

at least some stoner/doom elements in there

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Doom/sludge/stoner/Sabbath-esque/psychedelic metal flares up on my turntable every winter, seems to fit the scenery better.

The Ukranian metal band Drudkh got me through this last winter. Then recently I made the mistake of looking into their lyrics, politics etc. If I can believe Wikipedia dudes are basically drawing inspiration from 20s and 30s proto-Nazi thinkers.

Definitely feeling Hawkwind, Om, Boris, Earth and many of the other groups mentioned.

Sunn O)))) hasn't completely clicked with me yet.

Acid Mothers I love live, less impressed with some of their records.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I made a mix of OG(60s and 70s) stoner/doom/proto metal a couple years ago, I will try and find a copy in my mess called a room and turn it into one long MP3 and post it if anyone is interested. My mixes on the strut usually get only a a few hits/downloads (my rock mix for my 5000th post only got about 5 downloads) so I will only go to the trouble if people are interested...The Fucking Champs, Early Man, Birds of Avalon, and other bands have freaked out about it...but again, this is the strut...so it might get a big dose of "who gives a shit" on here....

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I made a mix of OG(60s and 70s) stoner/doom/proto metal a couple years ago, I will try and find a copy in my mess called a room and turn it into one long MP3 and post it if anyone is interested. My mixes on the strut usually get only a a few hits/downloads (my rock mix for my 5000th post only got about 5 downloads) so I will only go to the trouble if people are interested...The Fucking Champs, Early Man, Birds of Avalon, and other bands have freaked out about it...but again, this is the strut...so it might get a big dose of "who gives a shit" on here....

please do this!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    YESSSSSSSSS

been on a major sludge tip lately

actually playing in a full on epic dope metal band right now..

some things on the deck recently (not all total stoner but all METAL of one form or another)

Neurosis - Given to the rising
    Om - conferance
    Electric Wizard - Super Coven
    Jesse Harper - Guitar absolution in the land ogf the midnight sun
    Nadja - thaumogenesis / touched
    Boris - pink
    boris with michio kurihara - rainbow
    Monarch!
    Burried Inside - chronochrist
    Baroness - 1st / 2nd
    The Gersch
    Jesu
    Earth - Hibernaculum
    melvins - stoner witch
    Earthless - Rhthms from a cosmic sun
    Khanate
    abbramis bramma

my buddy just ripped me 2 dvds worth of hilarious black metal absurdity

hook up - i wanna hear that MIX!!!!

there are alot of great hardrock / proto metal blogs out there and ive been on a major barrel scrapping journey of late

Ill try and get this posted tomorrow....

check my boys out, adios gringo...top shelf heavy shit

www.adios-gringo.com

www.myspace.com/adiosgringo
    (the myspace is messed up, but the MP3 player thing is working, check out "eschatology")

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts

They are killin it in this one!

• I made a mix of OG(60s and 70s) stoner/doom/proto metal a couple years ago, I will try and find a copy in my mess called a room and turn it into one long MP3 and post it if anyone is interested. My mixes on the strut usually get only a a few hits/downloads (my rock mix for my 5000th post only got about 5 downloads) so I will only go to the trouble if people are interested...The Fucking Champs, Early Man, Birds of Avalon, and other bands have freaked out about it...but again, this is the strut...so it might get a big dose of "who gives a shit" on here....

Plaese to do so.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    pre-emptive appreciation post for this mix!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Check these guys out (from New Haven): Crooked Hook

The singer/guitarist used to work for Desco Records, actually ... but that is neither here nor there. They write great songs that rock hard.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    how many of y'all got the Vitus HAT???

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    and if that doesn't win me the super nerd award, I think my autographed Earth 2 CD might clinch it.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

Plaese to do so.

• All of y'all need to get up on some Harvey Milk.
    The Kelly Sessions or Courtesy And Good Will Towards Men.
    These were some of the best metal records of the 90's
    that nobody ever heard.
    Best live band I've ever seen, just motherfucking skull-crushing.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I got to hear Winos new band Hidden Hand rehearse at Phase in College Park, MD and they are by far the loudest band I've ever heard in my life, listening to them practice for a couple nights was fucking awesome. The funniest part about that experience was not knowing who it was while we were in there and greeted them. Thinking they were mellow older guys going to play some soft downtempo stuff, and then they fucking shook the roof killing it on 11.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Sorry, but they were definitely one of the most boring bands I've even seen... I doubt I'll ever bother to check out their recorded work.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Sorry, but they were definitely one of the most boring bands I've even seen... I doubt I'll ever bother to check out their recorded work.

Just the opposite. Probably one of the most impressive Live shows I've ever seen.. Makoto Kawabata is a gangster. They maybe had an off night? where'd you see them?

- spidey

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

Plaese to do so.

All of y'all need to get up on some Harvey Milk.
    The Kelly Sessions or Courtesy And Good Will Towards Men.

their new one "Special Wishes" is fucking UNBELIEVABLE

such an incredible record

ok, here ya go, 80 minutes of spliff riffs:
    Stoner Mix
    and if ya decide to burn it(no pun intended) here is the cover, also here to let ya know who is on the mix, its only 72dpi, but I think the graphic is simple enough to where it will suffice if printed, if I posted the 300 dpi version it would be huge on here...(but if you really wanna high-res version I can send it to ya)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Awesome mix man! It reminds me of the Psychedelic mix I posted here a few months ago. Except much much better done! Was this done with Microwave?

- spidey

Awesome mix man! It reminds me of the Psychedelic mix I posted here a few months ago. Except much much better done! Was this done with Microwave?

- spidey

thanks! Naw, it was done old timey style a couple years ago...records and 2 turntables...recorded into Soundforge then indexed with CD Architect originally. I didnt have the long .wav anymore so I had to import a CD copy into my computer and when I did that the tracks got all seperated and I tried to piece it back the best I could but it seems like microseconds of the beginning or end of tracks got lost somehow so there are a couple moments of digital crap going on where I pieced the mix back together (i.e. the weird sound where the Gun track begins), but glad ya liked it!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    check out lord sterling. great stoner rock from NJ.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Downloading as I type, been on a huge Groundhog-appreciation wave recently, can??t wait to check it out!

I was also one of the 5 guys to download your 5000 post mix, and it was much appreciated.

- J

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Damn, I was looking forward to this one. Can someone send it to divshare?